• May 12, 2024, 06:32:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Why no 5.6mhz?  (Read 3679 times)

cessna1466u

• Level 2 Member
Why no 5.6mhz?
« on: July 15, 2009, 09:30:58 PM »

I have a question. I have DIR825 and a new Dell laptop that has Wireless N. My laptop connects to the router with wireless N, but the signal is junk. My iPhone at the same location has better signal than my laptop. It says its connected using Wireless N the Rate (Mbps) is 58 and the Signal is 22%. In parantheses it says its (2.4Ghz). Shouldnt it be 5.6Ghz? What uses 5.6 GHZ? Any help would be great because I have 4 more days in my 30 day return policy and if this router is no bueno I need to take it back. Thanks

Gadget

• Level 2 Member
Re: Why no 5.6mhz?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 11:32:04 PM »

Cessna,

I can't tell you why your signal is "junk" (could be your location, could be your laptop, could be lots of things).  To use the 5g signal you need a computer/phone/game console/whatever that can operate on that frequency.  Many draft N cards and devices (probably including the iPhone) will only use the 2.4ghz band.

Bottom line, you presumably purchased the 825 for its dual band capability but it sort of sounds like you don't have anything that can connect at 5ghz or, if your computer is using that frequency, you're too far from the router or have too many walls between devices.

Cheers

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 09:01:05 AM »

Gadget is on the right track, ensure your devices have a 5Ghz radio (most don't).  Then figure out if 5Ghz would be a better pick in that location (it almost never is in a troubled environment).  5Ghz is much more susceptible to environmental issues than 2.4Ghz, we advise it for bridges and media devices (with line of sight) because it is rarer and therefore EMI interference is less likely (in most environments)

As for wireless environment, move the router, move the antennas, move the client, do all of this until you figure out the problem.  Remove and 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz devices from your environment (I am looking primarily at your cordless phones).
non progredi est regredi

cessna1466u

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 09:13:11 AM »

Thanks folks, my laptop does have the 5g capability but I think the fact that I am in a different room might be the culprit. I was able to get it to connect using the 5g yesterday when I was in the same room. Its a shame, what sounded like a great router is giving me so many problems that it just isn't worth it. I have had to remove firewalls, use DMZ to get my fax machine to work, reserve ip addresses for my devices so I could eliminate the conflicting ip address issues and basically change every setting on the router possible just to get it to work. This router turned out to be all hype. Its going back today. I might look into the other DLink they had. I think it was a 655 or something like that. If not I guess its back to Linkys. With the WRT310N I had, I just turned it on and changed the password and voila! I have already had to pay an extra $32 for Tech Support on this one to get it to work. Take Care folks

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 09:17:22 AM »

Best of luck and happy travels.  Hope you find something that works out for you!
non progredi est regredi