• April 28, 2024, 03:51:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-825 Router with DSL-520B Modem/Router. Which handles PPPOE & DHCP  (Read 8731 times)

FrankB

• Level 1 Member

I am setting up the DIR-825 with the DSL-520B (modem/router). Is it better to have the modem handle the PPPOE and DHCP with the DIR-825 as "DHCP Client"? Or is it better to have the modem in "bridge" mode and let the DIR-825 handle everything?

I just threw the cd's into both devices for a fast setup and I got the first configuration above (ie, modem handling everything). It all works fine. But I wasn't sure if this was the best setup. If it makes any difference, I have AT&T DSL.

Appreciate any insight.

Thx, Frank

pcjunky

• Level 2 Member
Re: DIR-825 Router with DSL-520B Modem/Router. Which handles PPPOE & DHCP
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 04:41:46 PM »

Interesting question.  I used to have a dsl modem/1 port wired router but it was a different brand than by wireless router.  In my case the modem was used as a bridge.

I didn't check the specs on your modem, but I would look at the features of both devices and determine which has the features you need the most.  The other thing to look at would be how often Dlink updates the firmware of each device.

FrankB

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 10:03:44 AM »

pcjunky: thx for those suggestions. I hadn't thought about updates. It appears the DIR-825 gets more.  Also, I contacted Dlink support and they recommended putting the DSL-520B in bridge mode.

FrankB

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 04:41:41 PM »

Shadowsports: Thx for the info.. I didn't really do any testing. I simply went with the suggestion of Dlink Support. I put the 520B in bridge mode and did all the setup on the router. Works flawlessly.  A lot better than the 2Wire which is what I had before.