• April 26, 2024, 10:29:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to add another wireless laptop to router  (Read 12504 times)

Throsh

• Level 1 Member
How to add another wireless laptop to router
« on: July 09, 2010, 08:36:06 AM »

Hi I currently have one wireless laptop running win 7 connected to the 655 via wireless but I have another one running windows xp that I would like to connect. I have tried everything and I just can not get it to connect. It can connect to neighbours connection no problem so it's not the laptop.

Could someone please help me out as it's annoying having to take turns on the internet seeing as I just spent £75 on this router.

Thanks

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
Re: How to add another wireless laptop to router
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 10:45:06 AM »

If you have XP without Sp2/3 and you use WPA/WPA2  router encryption you need to install the XP SP3. XP does not support WPA out of the box.

So are you using any security on the router?
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 05:29:47 PM »

Hi I currently have one wireless laptop running win 7 connected to the 655 via wireless but I have another one running windows xp that I would like to connect. I have tried everything and I just can not get it to connect. It can connect to neighbours connection no problem so it's not the laptop.

Could someone please help me out as it's annoying having to take turns on the internet seeing as I just spent £75 on this router.

Thanks

Hi Throsh,

If you are using WPA or WPA2 Only! encryption on the D-Link DIR-655 Router, you must install Windows XP Service Pack 3. That is the only Service Pack that can connect to the Router with using Windows Wireless Network Connection. Otherwise, you need Network Magic's Wireless Connection Manager or D-Link's Wireless Connection Utility.
thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

Throsh

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 07:11:08 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I am already running service pack 3 though, so I don't know what to do.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I am already running service pack 3 though, so I don't know what to do.

Hi Throsh,

Can you see your Network from XP's Wireless Network Manager's Wireless Networks Available?
thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

Throsh

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 05:18:30 PM »

Yes I do, I click connect and it will try and connect for a few minutes then eventually say it can't

Neverender

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 06:53:38 PM »

I'm having the same problem. Wife's laptop has XP sp3. Attempts to connect for a few minutes and gives up without an alert. For me it's probably something basic. Can't find the manual and I'm not seeing anything obvious on my product network settings page.

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 06:38:00 AM »

Some wireless network adapter have not the WPA2 in them.  You will need to check and update to the latest available driver, which should include the WPA2 encryption.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 08:19:14 AM »

Yes I do, I click connect and it will try and connect for a few minutes then eventually say it can't

Hi Throsh,

Are you using a Built-in Wireless Adapter for the Laptop in question, or is it a Card that plugs into the Laptop?
As smlunatick stated, older cards and adapters do not connect with WPA2 Only Encryption.

You know the Router works, because your other computer is connecting to the Router. Is the Network Filter being employed by you?

Throsh

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 07:43:55 AM »

Yes the laptops using a built in wireless adapter, it's quite an old laptop by the looks of it so i'm guessing maybe it needs updating. I'm not sure what you mean by network filter? i'm the one messing with the settings.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 10:41:49 AM »

Yes the laptops using a built in wireless adapter, it's quite an old laptop by the looks of it so i'm guessing maybe it needs updating. I'm not sure what you mean by network filter? i'm the one messing with the settings.

Hi Throsh,

http://192.168.0.1/Advanced/MAC_Address_Filter.shtml

It is located in Advanced and along the side is Network Filter. But if the computer is old, that Built-in Wireless Adapter may not be able to do WPA2 Only! Encryption. You may need an external Wireless Card.

Throsh

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 11:56:53 AM »

Right, I upgraded the laptop to windows 7 which i'm more familiar with, but I still can't connect to the router. I can connect to all the unprotected wireless networks that belong to my neighbours no problem, also tried a friends router and it worked fine, my old belkin router even works, but I just can't connect this second laptop.
It's really quite annoying as we're having to split internet time between me and my sister, and this shouldn't be a problem with a £75 router. Has anyone got any ideas?
Do I have to run the router installation cd on the other laptop? I have no idea.

Throsh

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 12:02:52 PM »

I'll just list some of my router settings-

Wireless settings-
802.11 mode-802.11n only
Transmission Rate : Best (automatic) (Mbit/s)
Channel Width : auto 20/40 mhz
Visibility Status : Visible

Security mode-WPA personal
WPA mode- WPA2 only
Cipher type- AES
Group Key Update Interval : 3600

MAC filtering- OFF

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 12:24:29 PM »

I'll just list some of my router settings-

Wireless settings-
802.11 mode-802.11n only
Transmission Rate : Best (automatic) (Mbit/s)
Channel Width : auto 20/40 mhz
Visibility Status : Visible

Security mode-WPA personal
WPA mode- WPA2 only
Cipher type- AES
Group Key Update Interval : 3600

MAC filtering- OFF

Hi Throsh,

Your 802.11 mode-802.11n only. It is set to 802.11n Only!

Your Laptop may not have an Adapter that supports Draft N connection.
Change it to Mixed 802.11n and 802.11g.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 12:50:31 PM »

And your wireless card needs to support WPA2 too... Run WEP securtity, that is widely supported on older wireless NICs
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33
Pages: [1] 2