• March 28, 2024, 06:53:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: 4500 requires reboot every 3 or 4 days with Firmware 1.20  (Read 156552 times)

MPDamon

• Level 2 Member
Re: 4500 requires reboot every 3 or 4 days with Firmware 1.20
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 02:18:40 PM »

When your router reports 40 megs up can you do a speed test see what it is actually reporting

then try locking your uplink speed to 2megs and reboot the unit from the router not but taking out the power cable. do another speed test.

Sure.  I can tell you my upload is 2 meg.  I always use the manual and set it to 1700.  But was just letting you know the bug. 

I can tell you that it doesn't always come up as 40 meg.  Sometimes it's 60 meg or just random speeds.  also I have ran the speed test after it does it and it doesn't seem to change what the speed test is... just seems to be way off on the calculation. 

With that said I will do exactly what you asked and give you the results. 

arod

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 04:03:15 PM »

Ok all users experiencing this issue please list you ISP, type of modem(brand), Internet type, How much bandwidth up and down.

NKYadav

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 04:34:53 PM »

Is there anything in the log indicating the router is locking up? Maybe you can try using a syslog and see what it spits out.

How do you have router configured?
Please list DNS servers, firewall settings, Network settings etc...

Ru,

Same issues here.   I have my router set for DHCP from my cable modem, and my advertised speed is ~16Mbps Down and 3 Mbps Up (Cox.net).  However, after a couple of days (I cannot time exactly when it starts going out as I am not home for the majority of the time) my connection starts dropping to about half advertised speed (usually it is actually 50% greater than advertised speeds, giving me 24+ Mbps on Speedtest.net tests) and from there the connection continues to degrade - until I perform a reboot.  Then, all of a sudden, voila - it is back to normal.

For instance, right now, before a router reset, I get the following:

Removing the router from the equation, I get:

I had previously turned off logging as I thought it was occurring only when the logs were getting full, but since this is still occurring today, I know now that this is not a log full issue.

I had previously thought this was a Cox issue and have been on the phone with them 3 times over the last 2 weeks (mostly weekends) trying to get the issue resolved, thinking that my ancient Motorola SB5120 Cable modem was finally beginning to die - during troubleshooting on the last two calls I removed the router from the loop and my connection is immediately back to some semblance of normalcy.

Puffnstuff

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 05:59:44 PM »

I'm on comcast cable using a linksys befcmu10 v4 modem Firmware Version: 2.0.3.4.2-1212  .  Here is my modem status page:

Acquire Downstream Channel  645000000 Hz  Locked
 Connectivity State  Operational  Operational
 Boot State  OK  Operational
 Security  Enabled  BPI+

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Downstream Channel

Lock Status  Operational
 Modulation  256QAM
 Channel ID  4
 Provisioned Rate  17600 kbps
 Symbol Rate  5360.537 Ksym/sec
 Downstream Power  -1.7 dBmV
 SNR  34.6 dB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upstream Channel

Lock Status  Operational
 Modulation  16QAM
 Channel ID  10
 Provisioned Rate  2200 kbps
 Symbol Rate  5120 Ksym/sec
 Upstream Power  33.4 dBmV

When I first flashed to this fw I didn't have any problems with it but all of the sudden now I do.  There is no warning only a massive slowdown when accessing the net.  Only a reboot will return the bandwidth to normal.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 06:02:17 PM by Puffnstuff »

defaultPlayer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 06:13:03 PM »

Ok all users experiencing this issue please list you ISP, type of modem(brand), Internet type, How much bandwidth up and down.

ISP: Verizon
Modem: N/A (There is no modem with FiOS)
Internet type: FiOS (FTTH)
Bandwidth: 20 mbps symmetrical

When the slow down occurs (24 hrs after the last router reboot for me) web pages take forever or fail to load and existing internet connections are disconnected (Xbox Live, online gaming, etc.). I have yet to measure the available bandwidth when this occurs because of harassment from other users on the network to get things up and running ASAP therefore the router is immediately rebooted when these signs are present.

Again, this all never occured before firmware 1.20 and the router would go weeks before needing a reboot due to either configuration changes or router lockup because of traffic overload (heavy torrenting).

rileyper

• Level 1 Member
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 06:15:13 PM »

Whenever it goes down for me the router is inaccessible, the router display still says online, i can still retrieve email (imap gmail), but i can't access web pages, so the logs disappear when i reset. this never happened to me while i was using 1.15!

heres my speedtest

Using a SB5120 SURFboard cable modem
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 06:16:45 PM by rileyper »

kcsupratt

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 06:33:58 PM »

Same issues ever since I went to 1.20. Never had any issues with any beta or official firmware until 1.20.
Every other day I have to unplug my 4500 and all is OK.

It has been very frustrating the past few weeks. >:(

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 07:40:48 PM »

I'm on comcast cable using a linksys befcmu10 v4 modem Firmware Version: 2.0.3.4.2-1212  .  Here is my modem status page:

Acquire Downstream Channel  645000000 Hz  Locked
 Connectivity State  Operational  Operational
 Boot State  OK  Operational
 Security  Enabled  BPI+

Downstream Channel

Lock Status  Operational
 Modulation  256QAM
 Channel ID  4
 Provisioned Rate  17600 kbps
 Symbol Rate  5360.537 Ksym/sec
 Downstream Power  -1.7 dBmV
 SNR  34.6 dB

Upstream Channel

Lock Status  Operational
 Modulation  16QAM
 Channel ID  10
 Provisioned Rate  2200 kbps
 Symbol Rate  5120 Ksym/sec
 Upstream Power  33.4 dBmV

When I first flashed to this fw I didn't have any problems with it but all of the sudden now I do.  There is no warning only a massive slowdown when accessing the net.  Only a reboot will return the bandwidth to normal.

Your upstream power level is quite low.  Ever think that might be the problem?

RobNyc

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 08:16:09 PM »

We're doomed
I cant deal with this anymore

Puffnstuff

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009, 01:50:24 AM »

The only difference for me between the beta 1.20 and now is that I switched my phone service to vonage but that shouldn't make any difference.  There is definately something wrong with this 1.20 fw and has been previously mentioned when the slowdown occurs the router menu is not accessible.  This is terrible.  I was playing css when it happened the other day and I could maintain my game connection but once I closed that I couldn't access web pages until I rebooted.

DLP

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2009, 07:20:24 AM »

Same problem here. Bought the router a month or so ago, it worked fine. Upgraded to 1.20, now it lasts maybe a couple of days then needs a power cycle.

My ISP is Everest (SureWest), and it's typical (good) cable speeds. Please help!

hikari

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2009, 12:47:54 PM »

I have been having this issue when i upgraded same thing every frew days it crashes
but does not look like it crashes but all network conectivity is down .

I have to restart by pulling the plug.

Followed the directions when upgrading the firmware

Backup config
I updated it
Restart
set to defaults
Restart
Restored backup
Restart

I am with TimerWarner in socal with there basic plan.
I do have a decent amount of virtual rules set.
Running G,N on 2.4hz (have to keep G because of my phones kinda sucks would like to use 5ghz)

This is becoming a real pain since i do alot of remote stuff from work and need to get on my home machine.

Please try to fix this.

arod

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2009, 01:18:18 PM »

Ok everyone who is experiencing this.. reset the unit to factory default. Build your config from scratch.. Do not load your backed up config. Trying to figure out the lowest common denominator of what may be the issue. Also for those who haven't yet list your entire set from modem, bandwidth, ISP, Type of internet etc..

keep in mind.. those of you with DSL will need to bridge your modem if you're pulling a private WAN IP.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 01:20:29 PM by Ru-Fi-Oh »

d01100100

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2009, 01:21:03 PM »

For all the people experiencing reboots, when you upgraded the firmware did you do the following?

I had so many issues with 1.12, 1.15 and 1.16 that I took every percaution when loading 1.20.
I unplugged the router from everything except 1 computer which had the firmware to upload.

I did a 30/30/30 reset before installing the firmware.

1. when the unit is powered on, hold down its reset button for 30 seconds
2. while still holding down the reset button, unplug the router from power and hold for an additional 30 seconds
3. still holding down the reset button, turn on power to the router again and hold for 30 more seconds

I did a 30/30/30 reset after installing the firmware.

I then loaded my configuration from scratch.  I had saved off all my customizations to a txt file on the 1 computer connected to it that I could just cut and paste.

After I had the configuration loaded, I then plugged it back into the uplink and local LAN.

I have 2 computers hooked up via LAN.
I have 1 actiontec router which acts as an ethernet to MOCA bridge also connected via LAN port.
Another actiontec router on the other side of the coax doing a MOCA to ethernet bridge, with 2 devices and wireless on that side, but getting their DHCP from the d-link.

I've got a virtual server setup, nortel trigger port and 6 gamefuel rules.

Previous to 1.20 I was getting LAN packets dropped all the time, now I'm not, and 1.20 has been very stable, no reboots, no crashes.  Previous to that I was getting LAN ports disabling themselves under high load.

arod

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2009, 01:29:56 PM »

I to am not seeing this issue and I have this set up at home and works great.. I'm not ignoring the fact that some of you users are seeing this which is why I'm asking all these questions to get LCD of issue. I am keeping tabs of activity at home to see if I can catch anything.

Follow what d01100100  posted and give that try. Also try contacting ISP and see if they can provision your modem, then clone your PC's MAC address so you'll pull the same IP everytime.

has anyone tried to power cycle modem as well? and when I mean power cycle I mean keep modem off for about 5 minutes.
then configure your router from scratch, save settings, turn off router, boot up modem wait for it to fully boot then boot router.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 01:34:10 PM by Ru-Fi-Oh »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17