• March 28, 2024, 12:55:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Print Server Showing Up as OFFLINE -  (Read 35016 times)

slider9499

Print Server Showing Up as OFFLINE -
« on: June 23, 2008, 11:45:14 AM »

June 22, 2008

I just purchased and installed the D-Link DPR-1260 print server yesterday. Prinitng from my Dell Vostro 1000 laptop running Win XP. I connected my Epson RX500 all-in-one printer to the USB port on the print server and ran a test - the pages printed without any problems at all

But... when I went to print this morning nothing happened. I got a FAILED TO PRINT message on my laptop. Nothing changed since I logged off last night. I checked to see if the print server was on, it is. I even turned on the desktop pc and made sure the printer was turned on (just in case).

Any idea what the problem is?

Also, my Epson printer only has one USB port that is now connected to the print server. How do I now print from my Dell Optiplex desktop since there no longer a (USB)connection from the desktop to the printer?

Thanks

Mlachake

• Level 3 Member
Re: Print Server Showing Up as OFFLINE -
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:59:53 PM »

From you explanation, I am assuming that you never added a printer on your PC using the DPR-1260. Please visit the link below for FAQs on how to setup the DPR-1260:
http://www.support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DPR%2D1260.

slider9499

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 01:42:16 PM »

it was added to my laptop which is what I printed from last night. Now when I go to print via the laptop it shows that the print server is offline.

Why did it work last night but not today?

I did though have the print server connected to the router via a cable, as instructedin thge D-Link instruction guide. The guide states that this cable is only needed for the initial installation and can be disconnected once the server has been installed and connected, which it was

MasterChiefDutra

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 01:45:40 PM »

The Ethernet cable that connects the print server to the router must stay connected until you have configured your print server to pick up the wireless signal from your router. if you do not have a wireless router then the cable must stay connected all the time.

slider9499

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 02:04:03 PM »

I have a wireless router, I used it for my TIVO and PS3. It works great, has been for 6 months

So I need to reconnect the Ethernet cable until a connection from the server to the router is established?

OK, I'll try it

slider9499

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 02:12:33 PM »

I connected the Enternet cable and the print server shows up in the Service Magic window. Now, when I go to the D-Link Page, here is the what I find under the WIRELESS STATUS tab.

Wireless Displays helpful at-a-glance information about the print server's wireless configuration. You may need to refresh the page to update the information.

Wireless Status
Radio Status:   Searching for AP
SSID:   D-Link
Channel:   n/a
Transmit Rate:   n/a

What does this mean?

MasterChiefDutra

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 03:24:38 PM »

What you need to do while logged into the DPR 1260 is access the setup tab and on the left there is a wireless settings option, you need to input the information from your wireless router on this page in order for the wireless to connect to the network.

slider9499

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 05:32:30 AM »

another problem...

I type in http://dlink- XXXXX (server id)  and nothing happens

Also, last night, the server showed up in my Network Places file, printed fine. This morning, I disconnect the ethernet cable, all goes to crap  >:(

What the hell is wrong with this installation and why is it so damn hard to install?  ???

I read, re-read the installation manual and NOTHING is mentioned about logging into the server site or anything else that you guys are telling me to do. How pathetic is D-Link as a company that they cannot even write coherent instructions?

Plus, I emailed two times about this and they NEVER replied >:(

Optix1180

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 10:22:50 AM »

Please provide us with what firmware you are using on your Print Serverr, since the SSID is D-link then it must a dlink router?. so, when you have the Printer server connected to the router via ethernet // the prnter connected to the DPR-1260 via USb // and your able to run the setup wizard and print a test page?? you then duplicate any wireless settings from the ROUTER, such as security , channel and SSID, and even then once you attempt to go wireless , you may not connect to the print server successfully. So i suggest if you have security on your network, disable it for now.

Try dlinkps-xxxxxx , for firmware 1.12 // once you have unplugged from the network, the PS should still show up in My newtwork places unless you have lost the connection wirelessly. Power cycle the Print server and hit f5 to recheck.

you may also call tech support.
Thanks..

slider9499

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 11:12:02 AM »

v 1.2 of firmware

went to d/load the 1.21 but it was a bin file and my laptop did not recognize it. Plus, the page said DO NOT d/load via a wireless netowrk! How supid is that? I am trying to cnnect a printer to a laptop and a print server is mainly for wireless operation but you cannot d/load the software via a wireless connection!!!! D-link sounds like a very smart company

I unisntalled and reinstalled the software twice already. I was able to print test pages twice. BUT when I changed the settings from WIRED to WIRELESS I was not able to connect to the Internet at all. I ran a Diagnostics on my connection and it said that the IP address was not recognized. This only happens when I installed the d-link software (yes,I am using a D-link printer server and a Dell broadband router).

Sometimes the server shows up in MY NETWORK PLACES others times it does not.

I uninstalled the software then reinstalled and then clicked on the MAGIC NETWORK display - two "devices" were found, both without a description and both had a different IP address.

I have been screwing around with this for 3 days and it simply does not work. The instructions are horrible and do not mention any of the issues or make reference to many of the things that you guys have mentioned here.  How pathetic is that? It should not be this difficult to install software so a printer can print from a laptop.

This software sucks and so does the product. It is brand new but I am going to sell it on eBay. At least I'll be able to get my money back.

Optix1180

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 09:49:08 AM »

Slider, I do apologize for the frustration that you are having with this print server. If you have a chance call tech support and they will walk you through the setup. It is true that the instructions that come with the product do not instruct you on how to setup the device with a non Dlink router (Dell). and yes My network places is tricky and it may show and disappear,but please try these steps first before returning this product. this PS is a great product. 

1. If your Dell router has security such as WEP or WPA then the Print server must also be setup with such parameters. ( so I recommend you disable it for now in order to achieve a wireless connection after the setup.)

2. The DPR-1260 with Firmware 1.12 obtains its IP address from any router it plugs into (Dell) so the IP address will not be the default of 192.168.0.10. So the 2 ways of logging into the router is using D-link-xxxxxx or linkups-xxxxxx (use last 6 digits of the Mac address on the printer server) and the other way is in my network places. the optional step to find the print servers IP address, is to log into the Dell routers configuration page and look into the DHCP client list for the host name dlinkps-xxxxxx and the IP address and mac address of the print server should be listed.

Again, disable security on the dell router and power cycle the print server for 10-15 seconds after setting up wireless settings and disconnecting the print server from the network to go wireless with the printer and print server.

www.support.dlink.cm and read the FAQ's for more help on this.

also the network magic is not needed to set up the printer server. Network Magic is a partner of Dlink and the software is bundled on the install CD. Just log into the print server // run wizard // print test page // set up wireless settings // disconnect from network // power cycle print server for 10-15 seconds // then attempt to log into print server wirelessly //

slider9499

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 09:52:16 AM »

I tried calling tech support - I was on hold for over 45 minutes the both times I called

I emailed them and after 4 days they got back to me thi smorning

I already sold the item on eBay

My dealings with d-link are through. I should have listened to the many, many reviews of this product that described the exact same installation and support problems that I have esperienced - EXACTLY the same. I am buying another print server from another manufacturer.

H4nZ8

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 03:20:53 AM »

I have same problem here,
i just connect to d-link print server dp-300u with my laptop, i followed instruction on the link given and it works, but right after i restart my laptop the printer goes offline and i must re-add the printer using the port i define.

artdecko

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 12:37:23 PM »

Just bought this unit yesterday. Works when connected via Ethernet. Might even work until it's unplugged and moved to the location in which it was intended to work....just across the room from the router. But upon powering up again it presents as offline.

Since the hosts connect to the router in order to communicate with the print server, I first checked for signs of life in the router's network display. Unavailable...as though it was turned off. LEDs on the front look fine, flashing wireless activity light, USB1 lit up as well. Tried to resolve by setting fixed IP with encryption but it didn't like that at all, so I...

Reset to default config, added the print server as a fixed IP on the router, configured the print server for that fixed IP, added the SSID and the router's IP for the gateway, and no encryption. Again, printed a test page. Disconnect, move the printer and the print server the fifteen feet across the room and again... offline in Windows, unavailable in the router's listings. The laptop wifi works fine. The desktop wifi works fine. But not the DLink.

The printer is explicitly named in the compatibility list, the Epson Photo Stylus RX620. Recycling the device makes no difference. Recycling the router makes no difference. Recycling the host makes no difference. But this is not a host-based problem, nor is it a printer connectivity or driver problem - the broken link in the chain is the DLink device's ability to make itself available on the wireless network after powering back up in its intended location. Since it is unable to communicate to its first hop, the gateway, obviously any host on the network isn't going to see it either.

I'll give this a day or so if I have time to investigate whether DLink has a firmware update for this thing, but after that I'm returning it and either replacing it with another well-known brand's wireless print server that was priced $30 more or will simply get a printer that has wireless built in. Time is too valuable to be squandered on remediating products. The benefit gained from rushing to market is inevitably more than offset by the number of customers who will permanently abandon the brand in the wake of one lemon experience.

artdecko

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 02:34:06 PM »

An update. The print server is now recognized on the network as a wireless device rather than just through the ethernet connection. These are the steps I have taken to get to this point since yesterday:

1. Flashed the device with the latest firmware v1.24.
2. Wound up having to reset to factory defaults; it did retain the firmware update (as one would expect).
3. Left the printer entirely out of the equation since printing was not the issue, connectivity was. Disconnected device power, reconnected, reattached direct ethernet.
4. Configured Networking Settings under the setup tab. Selected static, entered the fixed IP to which it'd been assigned, configured the gateway IP, saved.
5. Configured Wireless Settings under the setup tab. Wireless on (obviously), manually entered the SSID; selected the encryption type and the key, and (for my network though perhaps not yours) selected Infrastructure and SuperG mode disabled.
6. Rebooted. Disconnected direct ethernet. The router was still identifying it as a wired connection even after a refresh so I recycled the router, then recycled the device. The DLink was now wireless and recognized on the network.
7. I moved it to the destination and connected the printer. It was recognized and accessible over the  network. Since print drivers were already configured for the laptop from a previous install attempt, no further configuration of the printer or its drivers was necessary.
8. From the Scan tab accessible from http://[DLink device hostname] I was able to scan. Notably, the Epson scan application that comes with the multifunction printer cannot be used and the options available through the DLink web interface are primitive, offering only BMP or PDF output, and those as a right-click/Save Image As option. But it works. The "select scan area" is kludgy, requiring left mouse button to frame the desired scan area, then a right-click on the title bar to free the mouse. I will need to convert the images to JPG format, which adds another step.
9. Wireless printing works as one would expect, through the File/Print menu option or the Print button, with no DLink app visibly needed to intervene.

The only concern I have is that since this was the most persnickety device I've had to configure for the home network in a long time, I want to monitor the situation and see if it retains network visibility if the router is rebooted or the printer is recycled or if the print server loses power and is then restored. Network devices should perform under such circumstances without intervention.

An option that I would like to see added to the Wireless Settings is selection of which wireless channel is in use. The device has been working for half an hour now and that setting wasn't needed, but with a device sufficiently annoying to get up and running, all normal configuration options should be available to help rule them out as possible sources of conflict during initial configuration.