• March 29, 2024, 02:46:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Community Strings  (Read 6144 times)

rjenk

• Level 1 Member
Community Strings
« on: September 04, 2008, 08:39:16 PM »

I have a question regarding SNMP settings.  I have a DES-1228P with six DWL-3140AP access points.  Using the default public/private community strings is a security issue for our facility. 

For the initial installation we encountered issues with the 3140's not staying connected to the 1228P switch when we changed the community strings.  The Smart WLAN Manager could connect and communicate with the switch but after the initial display of access points, when saving them it generated and error and the AP's were then unavailable.

I changed the community strings back to the default public/private and everything works great. 

Tried changing them to something different after configuring the AP's and they all went to not available.  As soon as I changed the community strings back to default the AP's came back online.

Unfortunately I cannot find any place to modify community strings in the WLAN Manager.

Any suggestions or are we stuck using public/private due to limitations of the system?

Thanks!

pkokkinis

• Level 1 Member
Re: Community Strings
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 12:23:03 AM »

I'm having the same problem. Were you able to get yours resolved?

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
Re: Community Strings
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 10:40:55 AM »

Using other community strings works, I would want to take a long hard look at your exact results and see if something may not have been obfuscating your cause and effect relationship here.

P.S. This is a 2 year old thread, and it doesn't directly relate to your issue pkokkinis, I don't know why he didn't get the response he got from me today 2 years ago.

***Modified by Fatman because he wanted to at least get most the egg off his face.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 10:42:43 AM by Fatman »
non progredi est regredi