• April 25, 2024, 02:48:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Interpreting Windows Explorer  (Read 4809 times)

sdhome

• Level 2 Member
Interpreting Windows Explorer
« on: September 13, 2008, 04:24:01 AM »

I just installed my Seagate drives to the DNS-321. I used the Easy Search Utility to map Volume_1 and Volume_2 to G: and H:, respectively. Both drives then showed up in Windows Explorer. I've since been doing backups to them both wired and wirelessly from my laptop with SyncBackSE. My question is how to interpret what I see in Windows Explorer:
  Volume_1(\\NAS) (G:)
  Volume_2(\\NAS) (H:)
  DNS-321 2-Bay NAS (Volume_1)
  Network
     NAS
        Volume_1
        Volume_1
        web_page

When you check properties of each, the first two entries above show as the actual drives whereas the 3rd entry above shows as a folder shortcut. Where did it come from and why is it there? Can I delete it? By the way, I gave the DNS-321 the name of 'NAS'. In my backup program I address the destination as \\NAS\Volume_1\... and \\NAS\Volume_2\...  I read in one of the other threads that this was more reliable than using G: and H:. So far SyncBackSE accepts it without problems. Also, is it possible to use, for example, the destination \\NAS\Volume_1\... in my backup program without having first mapped the drive with the Easy Search Utiltiy? If so, what are the pros and cons of not mapping?

I may have answered a few of my own questions. First, I deleted the 3rd entry referenced above and suffered no ill effects! Second, I used Easy Search Utility to unmap both drives. I then started Windows Explorer and noted that G: and H: had disappeared, however, the entries in Network for Volume_1 and Volume_2 still showed. Also, I ran a quick backup and noted that it was still successful addressing the destination as \\NAS\Volume_1\... Also, I was able to pull up individual files by browsing into the Network area of Windows Explorer. This proves that the mapping is entirely optional in my case. Can anyone verify my conclusions? Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 05:47:46 AM by sdhome »

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Interpreting Windows Explorer
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 07:04:02 AM »

Drive mapping is purely optional - it is only purpose is to assign a "drive letter" designation to the network share.  It's useful when dealing with "network illiterate" users  - mapped network drive letters show up like local drives in My Computer

Back in the (ancient) days of DOS and the command line, it was the only way to reach a network share, but in today's GUI world where Windows is network friendly and most applications understand UNC (universal naming convention - the \\server\share syntax).
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

sdhome

• Level 2 Member
Re: Interpreting Windows Explorer
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »

Thanks for the explanation fordem. I think I'll make do without mapping. I'm very pleased that I was able to run 3 separate backups this morning using SyncBackSE via wireless laptop. There was one hiccup on one of the backups where SyncBackSE was unable to create the destination folders, but when I reran it, everything worked without errors? Hopefully, this is not a recurring issue.