• March 28, 2024, 01:24:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Constant activity on one of the drives.  (Read 23621 times)

Credo

• Level 1 Member
Constant activity on one of the drives.
« on: January 17, 2009, 01:39:38 PM »

It seems as though there's constant activity on one of my drives.  I have them set up as JBOD right now, and it seems the unit will not go into hibernation.  the one drive is constantly flashing activity... 

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
~C.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Constant activity on one of the drives.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 03:26:54 PM »

Start by unplugging the network cable - if the activity stops it was caused by external access - now you know where to start looking.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Credo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 10:51:54 PM »

I've already done that.  I know it's not external.  Besides, when connected to the network, there's no network activity on the machine...  Thanks for the suggestion though.

JRBTempe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 06:37:59 AM »

Credo,

I might be having the same problem since updating to 1.06... doesn't appear to be drive activity, though, just the center light above the power button is blinking constantly and won't stop. Have tried restarting via web interface, shutting down power manually, even restoring to factory defaults. This occurs even when there is no activity on my network, and the drives don't appear to be accessed. What gives, I wonder...?

FOLLOWUP: This morning (1/22), for whatever reason, the middle light is back to normal! Weird thing is, last night I had no end of trouble watching one of my DVD disc images on my home theatre from the DNS-323... stuttering near-constantly after the first hour! Tried watching via TheaterTek on my Vista PC as well as Apple TV (via nitoTV)... even rebooted the PC and the DNS-323 but the problem remained until the end of the movie. No idea if they're related, but I do have two of the Seagate drives that appear to have bum firmware so I hope they're not about to go south on me... :-(

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 06:16:32 AM by JRBTempe »

orhor

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 01:56:53 PM »

I must confirm the strange disk activity. it seems like DNS323 is scanning all the data after every boot. It is not a good choice for me, I dont need my unit to run all the time. I rather want it to be off, and only sometimes to run it, to copy / write some data and turn it off again. I have only one Seagate 750GB full of family video etc. It takes hours for the unit to scan all the data after every boot.

Could somebody post the way to avoid it?

Thank you in advance.

bigclaw

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 03:25:24 PM »

I must confirm the strange disk activity. it seems like DNS323 is scanning all the data after every boot. It is not a good choice for me, I dont need my unit to run all the time. I rather want it to be off, and only sometimes to run it, to copy / write some data and turn it off again. I have only one Seagate 750GB full of family video etc. It takes hours for the unit to scan all the data after every boot.

Could somebody post the way to avoid it?

Thank you in advance.

Have you tried disabling all servers on the DNS-323? (UPnP, ITunes, etc)

orhor

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 10:05:31 AM »

thank you, yes both the servers, upnp and itunes were running, i thought I set them off.

BTW: i dont need servers running, but what do people who do?
I am really disapointed of D-Link's attitude. They sell something unfinished and hardly useable.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 10:13:50 AM by orhor »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 03:02:04 PM »

Hmm I have not had this problem at all I am looking at mine right now and it has been shut down all day. Have you installed any fun plugs to you DNS-323 or a printer? You may have print jobs stuck in the printer queue. Try going to the status page and clear the print job queue. Do you have any programs setup to access the device for backups or is the UPnP AV media server or iTunes server enabled and being accessed by anything? Try turning of you PC and see if it then will go into hibernate.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

icewater

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 12:04:15 AM »

The problem is very similar to mine.
There was random access to the HDDs and the DNS323 nor the HDD goes into hibernation/sleep.
There is many reports of this problem with FW 1.06.
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=3855.0
I don't have funplug or printer installed.  Got both UPnP, iTunes and FTP server disabled.
I have 2 x 1TB WD Green drives (WD10EADS-00L5B1) in RAID 1.
I eventually had to downgrade back to FW 1.05 and everything was back to normal. (ie both DNS323 and HDDs hibernates/sleep at the right time).

So I'm sticking with FW 1.05 for now.

superxoum

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 12:50:23 AM »

Dear All,

I confirm.... same thing on my side...
FW 1.06 - 2x1TB RAID 1
No print jobs, no Itunes server activated
No computers connected to the drive

Constant activity between 2 drives...
Could that be related to the type of drives ? (I've Seagate ST31000340AS )

I'm lost, the drive was not so active with Fw 1.05
Max

Satchmog

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 04:08:29 AM »

I confirm it too. Just one 750 Gb drive installed. No services activated.

Antti

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 02:04:20 PM »

I upgraded to 1.06; I was particularly keen to see if the constant disk activity I'd experienced with previous versions would disappear...

And?  Well if I turn my 323 on and leave it for 5 or 6 hours disk activity does indeed come to a halt unless I access the box, whether I have the media server active or not.

So, 1.06 doesn't work as intended.  I've seen plenty of posts here to suggest this is a common problem but am yet to see a single response from DLink, or pehaps I've missed it/them: (if I have, then sorry!)  The most basic thing I would like to know is that DLink care.  If there is a solution, great, but an acknowledgement that we exist would be a first step.

crbaker

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 12:49:16 AM »

I purchased this device last week. One of the big factors for me was the fact the device would spin down and only use 7W. So I'm very disappointed to find that the device fails to go into hibernate mode.

:-[

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 04:52:30 AM »

I purchased this device last week. One of the big factors for me was the fact the device would spin down and only use 7W. So I'm very disappointed to find that the device fails to go into hibernate mode.

:-[

You need to investigate and determine why your unit does not hibernate - mine does - I'm running fw 1.06 with a pair of Seagate Barracudas in a RAID1 configuration.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 04:30:19 PM »

If you have two drives in the unit configured as RAID1 or standard and notice one of the volumes being accessed constantly which is most likely the cause of the unit not going to sleep you may want to try removing that drives and see if the issue goes away. Then test the drive in your PC for the same issue. If you are using RAID1 make sure you volume is in sync and not degraded. This information can be found in the Status page of the DNS-323.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream
Pages: [1] 2 3