• April 26, 2024, 10:34:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How to save files to the ftp site?  (Read 3410 times)

jdelato

• Level 1 Member
How to save files to the ftp site?
« on: January 31, 2011, 11:28:24 AM »

Ive just setup my ftp site for my dlink dns 323 and set my account to read and write.  i am able to open files and view them but how can i save files to this ftp site? im new too this so i am not sure if this is even possible, and any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: How to save files to the ftp site?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 03:36:13 AM »

Perhaps you need to research ftp and how it works - it's a file transfer protocol, used to transfer files to/from an ftp server, and you need an ftp client (software) that can read & write to the ftp server.

Most web browsers have read only ftp client functionality.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

McPillager

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 05:13:51 AM »

... or you can use one of the many FTP clients like FileZilla, for example. Install it in your PC, connect to your ftp server and voila!

CrustyOMO

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 06:21:48 PM »

Hi,  I've been using my DNS-323 ftp server for a while now.  It's absolutely amazing!  I'll be in the office or at a client or friends house and I can go online and fetch or upload any files.

You don't need a seperate ftp client, windows explorer works well enough.  Don't use the Internet Explore, but do use the Windows Explorer.  Right click your start button and select Explore.  In the address bar, enter ftp://192.168.1.2    but use your IP address of course.  a pop up box will ask for user name and password, then browse your files.  Drag and drop from your local C: (or wherever) onto your ftp drive/folders. 

Now you do need some windows services running to do this.  I know on my brother's machine it doesn't work because he turns off all non-esential windows services.  But on your average PC that hasn't been "tuned", it will work just fine. 

Next step is to access your ftp site via the internet.  To do this, you'll need to open port 21 in your router and assign that traffic to your DNS-323.  The only problem with this, is when your ISP changes your IP address.  I am using a service from www.no-ip.com to track my IP and give me a domain name.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

McPillager

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 04:23:38 AM »

I agree that having a nice, personal FTP server is good. But using windows or internet explorer as an FTP client is SM behaviour. A good FTP client is needed.