• March 28, 2024, 11:51:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How does my Dlink.com do it?  (Read 4808 times)

virtu

• Level 1 Member
How does my Dlink.com do it?
« on: February 06, 2012, 09:33:55 AM »

Typically for an IP camera sitting behind your home router you need to configure port forwarding on the router so that you can access camera from the outside. You also have to know the camera IP address at any given time, which is also done by configuring DDNS on your router.  Does the Dlink installation wizard somehow configures the connection between the camera and myDlink.com, and "knows" the camera IP address without modifying your router settings?  I'm considering a Dlink camera (specifically 932L) because I plan on using it with a "primitive" router that does not allow port forwarding configurations (cellular hot-spot).  Will it work? Does the camera maintains some kind of constant connection with myDlink.com site so that myDlink.com always "knows" where the camera is, without having to configure port forwarding and DDNS on the router?    
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:42:34 AM by virtu »

Doctor Doom

• Level 3 Member
Re: How does my Dlink.com do it?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 05:03:58 AM »

Basically each mydlink camera has a unique mydlink # that will be bound to your mydlink account. At boot up, the camera will update its status with the mydlink server. When you log into the mydlink portal you will see the status of your camears and when you want to view the camera it will do a handoff of the stream directly from your camera to your location. In order for the port to open automatically, your router must support UPNP. Most routers do.

In the event that the router does not support UPNP or you are still behind a firewall you will still be able to view the stream but only up to 60 seconds cause it has to relay the stream from the camera to the mydlink server and then to you.

virtu

• Level 1 Member
Re: How does my Dlink.com do it?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 08:09:47 PM »

Thank you for this information! You obviously "get" what I'm talking about here.

Could you give me a couple of clarifications here:

You are saying that if the router does not support UPNP, I can still log in to mydlink.com and see a 60-sec long stream?  If the router UPNP failed, I don't quite understand how mydlink.com can get the video in the first place since there is no way for mydlink.com to get to the camera through the router to send the request for the video.  Are you saying the camera itself is constantly pushing the video stream to mydlink.com, without mydlink.com having to send requests to camera?  Sorry if my understanding of these networking details is a little incomplete.