• April 16, 2024, 05:41:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Upgrade from firmware v1.01?  (Read 18581 times)

mk1184

• Level 2 Member
Upgrade from firmware v1.01?
« on: May 29, 2014, 12:45:36 PM »

Is it advisable (or even possible) to go straight to v1.05 or is "two-stepping" it with v1.02 required (or again, perhaps more advisable)?  Had nothing but trouble with v1.02 when it first came out, but my DNS-343 is still humming right along after all these years (except for some unfortunate burn-in issues of the "disk full" message on the OLED). 

As I recall moving from v1.01 to v1.02 required a reformat of the drives, so I assume I'm at least looking at having to do that with an upgrade to v1.05?

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: Upgrade from firmware v1.01?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 04:05:07 PM »

Since your DNS-343 is still working without problems why do you need to update the firmware? 

You should be asking if there is something in the newer firmware that you absolutely must have or do you just want to say that you have the latest, if it is the latter then you don't need to upgrade.

The only time we have ever updated the firmware in D-Link NAS boxes is when it increased the size of the disks that could be used.

mk1184

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 01:14:30 AM »

I assure you it's anything but simply wanting to say that I have the latest.  The primary purpose for upgrading would be to max out its disk capacity.  Although you might have gleaned that from the "disk full" portion of my original post, I didn't think it was pertinent to my question.  

But, since you're questioning my line of reasoning... here it is:  If this thing has the potential of bricking during a firmware upgrade I don't want to be left holding the bag on $400 worth of new drives for it.  Also, v1.01 had fan control/cooling issues which I've never liked, but have always lived with.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 02:54:59 AM »

Sorry but I did have to ask because we see too many pieces of equipment for repair where the owner has updated the firmware 'because the latest must be better' rather than looking at what the update involves in the way of needed features.

Since we sold our DNS-343 to a client I can't answer your questions by testing to see what the results are.  The only thing I can advise, if you decide to update, is to have a tested backup of your data that you can restore from if necessary.

Another thought, if you are just looking to increase storage capacity by increasing disk sizes have you thought about adding another unit?  This may be the better option considering the potential to brick the unit and the fact you need to get larger drives as well.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 07:12:53 AM »

Adding to Ivan's comments, it's unfortunate, but many ShareCenter owners who visit these forums perform firmware upgrades for no other reason than wanting the latest and greatest version.  Because of this unfortunate fact, when upgrade questions come into play, we always ask the question "Why are you upgrading?" No disrespect was intended. We're only looking to educate members and provide advice that will best protect their data.

I purchased my first DNS-343 in 2008 and was running firmware v1.02. I just read through some of my first posts in this forum back in 2008 to validate that! I incrementally upgraded the firmware to v1.05 over the years and never had to reformat the HDDs. I still have two legacy HDDs (1.5 TB) in my first DNS-343 that were not formatted since 2008. That said, all 8 HDDs in my two DNS-343s are configured as Standard Volumes.

It's possible (I can't confirm) that upgrading legacy firmware may not be as forgiving to more complex configurations (i.e. RAID, JBOD). I haven't personally tested firmware migration jumps spanning multiple versions nor have I tested migrating firmware with more complex HDD configurations. When it comes to the ShareCenter line in general, HDDs configured in Standard Configuration are usually easier to work with than the more complex alternatives.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 07:21:07 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

mk1184

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 12:18:12 PM »

I do appreciate the concern, gents, but after 20 years in the business if I've learned one thing it's when to leave well enough alone.  :P

The unit is used primarily for long-term storage of files that are occasionally accessed and otherwise backed up.  So nothing mission-critical in this case and it's really just a matter of having gotten around to thinking "Gee, this thing isn't terribly young anymore".  Looking back on my posts from 5(!) years ago I see that I bought mine in Dec. '08 and it shipped with v1.01.  I have a distinct recollection that v1.02 was enough of a departure from v1.01 that it required a reformat, and I believe the following warning from the FAQ probably bears this out:

After the upgrade, re-format your hard drives if upgrading from Shipping firmware 1.00 or 1.01 and if hard drives are formatted in EXT3.

I have zero recollection as to whether my RAID-5 is formatted EXT3, but my ancient posts sure allude to it.  So it looks like a two-step upgrade might be the safest bet and I'd better bank on the need to reformat.  In which case I may as well replace the drives, max out its capacity and let it live to fight another 5 years (perhaps).  When it comes to my own hardware I tend to squeeze every usable nanosecond out of it.   ;D

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 12:25:49 PM by mk1184 »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 02:32:16 PM »

Post back and let us know how your migration turns out. I'd also like to know what make/model HDDs you use. DNS-343 owners on this board are always on the lookout for currently available HDDs that work well with these older ShareCenter models.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

mk1184

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 10:58:05 AM »

I'd also like to know what make/model HDDs you use.
Seems this may be an even bigger gamble than upgrading the firmware... :-\