• April 18, 2024, 04:31:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Samsung 2TB F4 drives???...  (Read 2681 times)

cwheels333

• Level 1 Member
Samsung 2TB F4 drives???...
« on: May 25, 2011, 07:54:20 AM »

I am having an issue.  I just recently picked up a DNS-343 to use strictly for Media storage.  I had bought 4 2TB Samsung F4 drives to go in it.  From my understanding these drives have 4k sectors and are Advanced Format Technology drives.  Reading several forums I had found out that people are having trouble with drives with AFT.  I would like to use these drives in RAID 5 on the DNS-343.  Is this possible???  When will DLINK have a firmware update that will accept these drives.  It seems that 2TB drives without the AFT are very hard to come by as Western Digital, Samsung, and Seagate are all pushing this technology and the older drives are becoming discontinued.

Pardon my noobness but I have also read that you can align the hard drives to work properly but I am very new to this so I don't understand how alignment works.  Do you align them before you format them in the NAS?

Please help as I am at a loss of what to do.  Since most of the manufactures are moving toward AFT drives it seems like these NAS boxes are becoming outdated unless Dlink offers support.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Samsung 2TB F4 drives???...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 08:53:45 AM »

The DNS-343 currently does not provide native support for AFT HDDs. D-Link has stated that this functionality is currently being developed for a future firmware release, but has not provided a release date (or estimated release date).
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Samsung 2TB F4 drives???...
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 05:07:22 AM »

UPDATE: The latest beta firmware provides support for AFT HDDs (up to 2 TB). The release notes, however does not specify supported brands/models.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC