• April 16, 2024, 12:48:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 Drive issue  (Read 7825 times)

kcmwan

• Level 1 Member
2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 Drive issue
« on: July 17, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »

I am upgrading my DNS-323 from 2X 500GB to 2X Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB. I have put each drive into an USB enclosure and formatted them to EXT3. Both were completed successfully. When I plug the 2 drives into the DNS-323 and log in through the web interface, the standard wizard asked me to set up the drives in "stand alone, JBOD or RAID 0 or 1". After I chose RAID 1, the NAS went to format the drives again. At the beginning, the status bar keeps going up but when it hits 10%, the bar goes up very slowly (about 1% every 5-10 mins). Then after it reached 25% or so, the NAS went offline. The "hard drive lights" on the NAS keep flashing but I cannot log back in through the web interface or cannot find the NAS using the DLINK easy search utility. I waited over 24 hours for something to happen but nothing. I cannot even shut down the NSA by pressing on the power button and have to disconnect the power.

After that, I plug the power in and the NAS comes online again. Through the web interface, I choose "stand alone" this time and it went on to format my drives. Same thing happened and I have to unplug my NAS.

Does anyone know what happened? Is this another unsupported drive issue? If so, other than the WD Green, what other 2TB drive can I use? I don't think that particular model in the supported drive page is available anymore.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 Drive issue
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 04:51:49 AM »

Why did you format the new drives external to the DNS-323 and why use Ext3 when Ext2 is the default?

You could try blanking the disks using your USB caddy then trying again to let the DNS-323 do the formatting.

kcmwan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 10:45:13 AM »

I pluged the drives "fresh" into the NAS and get the same probelm. That's why I put it in the USB to make sure the drives are working.

I don't know if EXT2 or 3 makes a difference as the NAS offers both and I had my 500GB under EXT3

kcmwan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 11:44:37 PM »

I blanked the drives and retry again using EXT2, no luck.

By the way, I took the drives out and put it back in the USB. Here is a screenshot of the partition after the failed NAS formatting

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/809/partition.png
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:47:15 PM by kcmwan »

gbaker3

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 07:23:27 AM »

Which version of the firmware are you using to format the disks? I would recommend using v1.10 to format, then downgrading to v1.09 or v1.08 once formatting is complete. And you should always reset to factory defaults after any firmware upgrade/downgrade.

odie2002

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 08:23:57 PM »

I too have been trying for days to upgrade my DNS-323 with a brand new Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB. But when the DNS-323 was turned-on with the new drive installed, the power light would blink forever (I waited 9 hours and it was still blinking, I also couldn't shut it down by holding the power button so I had to unplug it). But without any drive installed, the DNS-323 would power-up fine within 30 seconds or so, and I could access the DNS-323 with the web interface.
I tried over and over, with the same results and I was about to conclude the drive wasn't compatible. But your suggestion to examine it using a USB interface gave me an idea (THANKS!).
I plugged it into my Mac using a USB interface and the disk utility showed that this new drive had 3 partitions on it...who knows why. Unfortunately I didn't examine it too closely so I don't know what they were. I simply used the Mac disk utility to erase it, remove all partitions and set it to FAT32. I just re-installed it in the DNS-323 and it now works like a charm. The DNS-323 initialized it as EXT2 and it now shows up on my network. It works great! Finally!!! I hope this helps you.
It looks like the DNS-323 doesn't like the default partitioning or formatting of the Seagate ST2000DM001.

Wilson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 02:01:19 AM »

I am upgrading my DNS-323 from 2X 500GB to 2X Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB. I have put each drive into an USB enclosure and formatted them to EXT3. Both were completed successfully. When I plug the 2 drives into the DNS-323 and log in through the web interface, the standard wizard asked me to set up the drives in "stand alone, JBOD or RAID 0 or 1". After I chose RAID 1, the NAS went to format the drives again. At the beginning, the status bar keeps going up but when it hits 10%, the bar goes up very slowly (about 1% every 5-10 mins). Then after it reached 25% or so, the NAS went offline. The "hard drive lights" on the NAS keep flashing but I cannot log back in through the web interface or cannot find the NAS using the DLINK easy search utility. I waited over 24 hours for something to happen but nothing. I cannot even shut down the NSA by pressing on the power button and have to disconnect the power.

After that, I plug the power in and the NAS comes online again. Through the web interface, I choose "stand alone" this time and it went on to format my drives. Same thing happened and I have to unplug my NAS.

Does anyone know what happened? Is this another unsupported drive issue? If so, other than the WD Green, what other 2TB drive can I use? I don't think that particular model in the supported drive page is available anymore.
Which HW version of you 323?