D-Link FAQ > FAQs

Lost 40mHz band

(1/7) > >>

vrod2003:
I upgraded to 1.20, not the beta version, and setup the wireless as instructed.  Since their is no 40mHz only option, I chose Auto.  I have WPA2 only and AES cipher.  I am only getting 20mHz band as status report. 

I upgraded because I was having problems with my PC laptop running a wireless N card and I could not maintain a consistent connection via wireless.

This really needs to be fixed D-Link.  I have invested about $1,000 in your products in the last two years and resent the fact that you don't even bother to provide explanations or offer solutions to user problems.  Some of the posts in this board, the busiest of all your boards, have never been answered.  It has turned into one big gripe session.

It would be appreciated if we could get some satisfaction.  I would be willing to take an exchange to an upgraded product or a refund, but I am not willing to be ignored.  Unless D-Link wants to be in the same boat that NVIDIA is today, it would be a good idea if some real working solutions were put in place immediately.

Thank you for listening, I hope.

EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED SMALL BUSINESS OWNER

davevt31:
Running a 655 with the 1.20 (Not beta) also.  The "40MHz Only" is only available if your are running a N only Network Mode.  This is due to the WIFI standards.  I have N onlymode set with auto for for the channel width and always have 40 showing on the status.

bmeouf:
The 1.20 firmware introduces a "friendly neighbor" feature (i have forgotten the exact title of this feature). Essentially it will drop your routers signal from dual 20/40mhz to 20mhz if any interference is discovered. The problem is, if you live in an area with lots of signals (even other than wifi) your wireless network connection will be degraded, and will not "compete" with other devices. This is a nice feature in concept, but most all routers do not share this 'peaceful' feature and will be overly aggressive in their broadcasting... and you will suffer as a result.

D-link made this the default approach in 1.20 firmware and it cannot be disabled. To make matters worse, from what i hear, the router will not let you downgrade to an earlier firmware once you install 1.20.

I dont know if this is the exact cause of your problem, but it sounds likely.

If anyone sees any error in my description of this feature, please let me know.

Update: I have heard people's success stories in downgrading to a firmware before 1.20 but installing a beta firmware, which will let them then install an earlier firmware. If this is something you decide you want to do you should be able to find more information about this by searching the forum.

Lycan:
The issue with good neighbor stuff is that WiFi Alliance required us to implement it that way. we are working on a firmware that will give you the HT40 back. Maybe a mode that is not WiFi Alliance certified or some relaxed version of this new standard. As soon as the code becomes available, I'll test it and if I can post it on the forums as beta.

WildSioux:

--- Quote from: Lycan on September 11, 2008, 04:34:13 PM ---The issue with good neighbor stuff is that WiFi Alliance required us to implement it that way. we are working on a firmware that will give you the HT40 back. Maybe a mode that is not WiFi Alliance certified or some relaxed version of this new standard. As soon as the code becomes available, I'll test it and if I can post it on the forums as beta.

--- End quote ---

lycan, Thanks for working to get this problem fixed (hopefully).

Also, i can only hope that someone at Dlink (and other wireless companies) have let the WIFI Alliance know about the problems this "Good Neighbor policy" is causing.  As the OP has stated, we spend money on a product that is advertised to boost speeds, range, etc...and then this happens.  I blame the wifi alliance.  Seems to me that they are taking a few steps back on this.  Then again they have sat around waiting to ratify the final N standard.  Whatever, i want the 600Mbps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version