• April 19, 2024, 07:25:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Problem with DRM protected video files?  (Read 12047 times)

Dodgy

• Level 1 Member
Problem with DRM protected video files?
« on: July 24, 2009, 06:31:12 AM »

Hi,

I have a legit DRM protected video file (HellBoy2) from the a "Digital Copy" that came with the blu-ray.
I can run this file with no problems directly in WMP11, but when I try to run it on the DSM520 I get a license error.

Has anyone else seen this, or know what the problem might be?
When I run the file locally on WMP11 I don't need to manually enter a code to play it, so its not like its missing some kind of manual intervention.

I'm just worried since I have a few more "digital copy" blu-ray disks on the way and am concerned that I won't be able to use them on the DSM either due to the same issue...

Thanks,
/Dodgy

Dodgy

• Level 1 Member
Re: Problem with DRM protected video files?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 04:55:08 PM »

...and before anyone asks I have looked through most of the forum for this kind of issue.
I see 2 recommendations:
1) Keep trying it - it might work sometimes.  Not so far in my case
2) Run it locally again on my PC, then try it again on the DSM520.  Not worked yet.
3) Re-certify the file.  I can't really do that (I don't think) since its not like an online rental service like Netflix etc.

So anything beyond those ideas would be really helpful!

Many thanks!
/Dodgy

Dodgy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 01:01:10 PM »

Well, I now have 3 downloaded DRM protected WMV files, none of which play in the DSM520.
Each one gives me an unsupported file type error.
Each one plays fine on my PC, either from local or from my media center NAS.  I have tried to serve the files using the NAS directly, as well as using WMP11 on the laptop, and get the same error regardless.

Someone else out there must be using "Digital Copies" that come with DVD/BD disks?  Anyone?

/dodgy

fccgrant

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 04:27:12 PM »

What is the bit rate of the digital copy?  I think the maximum is 20 mbps with the latest firmware of 1.06.

What's your media server software that you are using? 

fccgrant

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 04:33:12 PM »

just checked...

mpg2 video is max 25 mbps
wmv video max is 10 mbps

Dodgy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 07:22:16 AM »

Hi fccgrant,

Thanks for the reply.  Thats a good idea, but when checking the files it looks like I'm well within those limits:

Hellboy2 - 6154kbps
Resident Evil3- 4191kbps
XMen3 - 1643kbps

All WMVs.

ANY other ideas VERY welcomed, since I know I'm going to be getting some more digital copies over time...
Thanks,
Dodgy

fccgrant

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 10:44:19 AM »

I believe DRM files will only work if using the Media Server feature in Windows Media Player 11.  Is that what you are using?

Dodgy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 10:46:37 AM »

I am trying to use that as well as a feed from a standalone network IomegaNAS.
Both give the same error on the DLInk when I try to play them.
If the WMP11 worked but the Iomega didn't, that wouldn't really surprise me, but since I can't get either to work I'm concerned its something to do with the DLink.

fccgrant

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 11:01:38 AM »

I wonder if the vendor put some kind of restriction on it so that it can't be streamed.

You can read up on the subject here...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/drm/faq.aspx#drmfaq_1_1

and see if it is helpful.

fccgrant

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 11:03:01 AM »

By the way...

The DSM-520 does not do any checking on licenses to see if the file can be played.  This is all done at the PC.

Dodgy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 05:15:40 PM »

Now this is interesting...
I had given up ever getting this to work but today I picked up Terminator Salvation and tried again.

This file works fine with no errors at all when streamed from my laptop!
It errors when I try to run it directly from my NAS device with a "file type not supported" message, but I can live with that.

In another weird twist, the Hellboy2 digital copy I have still reports that the "Licence is unavailable, media player is not authorized blah" when I try to run it from my laptop, but it also no longer works directly on the laptop in WMP11 like it did before.  In fact, when I try to run it there it now prompts me for the authorization code again, which won't work because I used it when I initially downloaded it....  >:(

Lastly, the X-Men3 digital copy now works fine off my laptop, which would fail before.

I have no idea what is going on, but it is working more like I would expect now - for some unknown reason - but my Hellboy2 digital copy appears to have toasted its own license key so that is the reason that one seems to be no good now.

I did get an XP Pro update from SP2 to SP3 which might be making the difference, which is why I'm posting this here in the hope it helps someone else.

/Dodgy

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 01:10:29 PM »

There are commercial apps that will allow you to make a non-DRM copy (for backup purposes) of DRM protected discs.  The two most popular apps are anydvd and dvdfab.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

Dodgy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 01:18:22 PM »

Thanks.  Would they work to remove the DRM from a downloaded 'digital copy' that you get with certain DVDs/Blu-Rays?
I have no problem with my own DVDs that I have ripped and converted, I only have the problem with the digital copies I downloaded that come with Blu-Rays (which I cannot rip at this time)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 01:23:51 PM »

AnyDVD saves DVDs as ISO, while DVDFab is more versatile (you can save in different encoding formats and bitrates).  Keep in mind these apps are intended for backup purposes only (for DVDs you already own).

Thanks.  Would they work to remove the DRM from a downloaded 'digital copy' that you get with certain DVDs/Blu-Rays?
I have no problem with my own DVDs that I have ripped and converted, I only have the problem with the digital copies I downloaded that come with Blu-Rays (which I cannot rip at this time)

I seem to have misread your last post.  These apps will strip DRM from physical discs, not electronic copies.  If the digital copy is an ISO, DVDFab should work since it reads physical discs and ISOs.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 01:29:22 PM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

Dodgy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 06:12:30 AM »

These files are legitimate 'digital copies' that come with some DVD/Blu-Rays.
They are all WMV format.

I do appreciate the input, but as I said my own DVD copies (done for my own backup and my own network accessibility) aren't a problem.  Its just those pesky DRM WMV files.

FYI, I did fix the previously reported Hellboy2 download so it works directly on my laptop by re-downloading and re-licensing it.  Still won't work on the DSM though - it now tells me it is an invalid format that it can't play  ???
Pages: [1] 2