• March 28, 2024, 01:56:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DIR-655 & Bridge Mode  (Read 278206 times)

pmarcovi

• Level 1 Member
DIR-655 & Bridge Mode
« on: March 05, 2009, 07:55:12 AM »

Is there any way of configuring this router to run  in "bridge mode"? If not, would be something that can be added in the future?

arod

Re: DIR-655 & Bridge Mode
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 08:53:49 AM »

Check out the DAP-1522

pmarcovi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 08:29:31 AM »

So I have to throw away my current DIR-655 and spend 100+ to have functionality that other routers have included for free? Does that make sense?

Any changes in settings that I can do to make it behave like an AP? Disable DHCP, NAT?

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 08:47:25 AM »

We removed Bridge Mode, it's not needed and cause problems.
Also of course the unit can act as an AP. You already know what to do, you listed it in your last post.

Disable DHCP, change the units LAN IP to something on your subnet but no in your SHCP scope and connect the unit LAN to the gateway LAN.

Turning a router into an AP.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 02:16:59 PM by FurryNutz »

mack0

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 06:59:50 AM »

Well, this more a workaround than a real solution. I have this configuration and some functionalities of the router does not work properly. For instance, it cannot synchronize with an external time server (the router tries to establish the connection through the WAN interface that is not connected).

I agree with pmarcovi. This is something that should be supported. In fact, it was available in early versions of the firmware... (I had no chance to test it so I do not know which problems caused). It is a pity that Dlink does not see this as an important requirement and invest more effort to solve the initial problems.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 08:25:45 AM »

We believe that it is a router and should act as such, if you need an AP buy an AP, not a router.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 12:39:13 PM »

We believe that it is a router and should act as such, if you need an AP buy an AP, not a router.

Quite logical. You don't ask the car dealer to add some pedals  ;Dto you BMW 5-series  because you want to use it as a bike...
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

mack0

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 01:44:40 PM »

Nice joke ;D but I do not think that selling bikes for a similar price as a BMW 5 series is a good business  ;).

My suggestion is related to allow to disable functionalities of the router if they are not temporary required. In my case I'm using the DIR 655 as a backup of the main DSL router (that has also VoIP support). So in case I loose the main one I can temporary use this. I can use also the USB 3G connectivity (nice feature) in case the DSL connection is lost. In the mean time, I'm using it to have wireless N support and improve the network range.

Never mind, I can understand that the main priority of Dlink is to make it work as a router and therefore, other features not related to this has less or no priority (even they were initially implemented)...

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 02:41:27 PM »

you are correct. We removed it as a potential issue. We did not feel it was a necessary feature for this product.

makelegs

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 06:07:21 PM »

you are correct. We removed it as a potential issue. We did not feel it was a necessary feature for this product.

C'mon, guys!
"Features"... almost by definition are not "necessary".  But "features" tend to determine why consumers "purchase" one item or another even though BOTH items "function".  I have to admit that I'm a little perturbed that D-Link didn't at least see the bridge "feature" as an obvious segue to an easier router-upgrade-rationalization on the part of the consumer.  Telling one (me) to instead buy 2 new devices and simply trash my DIR-655 is akin to telling the consumer (me) to go shop the other manufactures.  It wouldn't be so irritating if it weren't, admittedly, a question of firmware deployment... or in this case RE-deployment.  D-Link must have thought it a worthy "feature" to have originally included it .

So... how about you (D-Link) just re-activate our BRIDGE "feature", so I can just move on to figuring out which D-LINK dual-band router I'd like to upgrade to (clearly should have gone this route in the FIRST place and avoided my need for this conversation... my BAD!). 

:) :) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 09:44:40 PM by makelegs »

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 01:09:10 AM »

If you want a bridge the DIR 655 is not the right device. It's a router. That's how they made it. :D
It's like asking a F1 car to have perfect handling with 50 mph.

If you need to do concessions to the core functionality to get an extra feature working you might understand that that's a bad choice...
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

KHS

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 12:31:59 PM »

I had the same question, here is what I ended up getting from DLink Tech Support, I went through it and it worked:
If you are connecting the D-Link router to another router to use as a wireless access point and/or switch, you will have to do the following before connecting the router to your network:

Disable UPnPT
Disable DHCP
Change the LAN IP address to an available address on your network. The LAN ports on the router cannot accept a DHCP address from your other router.

To connect to another router, please follow the steps below:

1. Plug the power into the router. Connect one of your computers to the router (LAN port) using an Ethernet cable. Make sure your IP address on the computer is 192.168.0.xxx (where xxx is between 2 and 254). Please see the Networking Basics section for more information. If you need to change the settings, write down your existing settings before making any changes. In most cases, your computer should be set to receive an IP address automatically in which case you will not have to do anything to your computer.

2. Open a web browser and enter http://192.168.0.1 and press Enter. When the login window appears, set the user name to Admin and leave the password box empty. Click Log In to continue.

3. Click on Advanced and then click Advanced Network. Uncheck the Enable UPnP checkbox. Click Save Settings to continue.

4. Click Setup and then click Network Settings. Uncheck the Enable DHCP Server server checkbox. Click Save Settings to continue.

5. Under Router Settings, enter an available IP address and the subnet mask of your network. Click Save Settings to save your settings. Use this new IP address to access the configuration utility of the router in the future. Close the browser and change your computer's IP settings back to the original values as in Step 1.
Connect to Another Router

6. Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the router and reconnect your computer to your network.

7. Connect an Ethernet cable in one of the LAN ports of the router and connect it to your other router. Do not plug anything into the Internet port of the D-Link router.

8. You may now use the other 3 LAN ports to connect other Ethernet devices and computers. To configure your wireless network, open a web browser and enter the IP address you assigned to the router. Refer to the Configuration and Wireless Security sections for more information on setting up your wireless network.

Grimmy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 02:50:15 PM »

I cant see why this is acceptable, and why such strange comparisons are made to defend that statement.
This is obviously a decision made to make more money selling unnecessary extra products, which costs extra, pollutes the environment and so on.

Think of all the features Microsoft could have removed from Windows by a forced Windows Update, forcing us to buy extra software for features we initially had. Even if its not a commonly used feature, like ICS - I'm sure the community would have spoken up, making Microsoft put it back in place.

I for one would like to speak my mind that I do not find the statement from DLink okay. For years I have bought DLink products considering them to be one of the best in that market. However, when they treat customers like this - my loyalty fades.

If I do not see a change in DLinks attitude here (soon!), I will without a doubt avoid DLink products in the future.

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 03:02:22 AM »

So Shareport would be considered a "Router Function"?  SecureSpot is a router function?
I'm sorry but those sound more like a marketing function.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 03:21:24 AM by jason1722x »

Ozzed

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 02:39:02 AM »

It is a shame that a router that costs well over $150 and that HAD THE FEATURE VISIBLE got firmware that hid it. It is supported by the hardware, and most other manufacturers using the platform seem to be able to provide it without the "issues" that no one seems to have. I (And probably 100% of the other D-link customers that brings money in your pockets by buying your products)  would like to see the feature back without having to use the CSS-hack. (The guy at tech support was nice enough to let me know, but still).

Also, as pointed out earlier by me and others, buying a whole new product to get what you already have on an existing product isn't very "Green"..

My bitpop and chiptune music.
Pages: [1] 2