• April 25, 2024, 11:07:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: When adding user permissions..... -1????  (Read 4388 times)

cjunemann

• Level 1 Member
When adding user permissions..... -1????
« on: June 30, 2011, 12:27:43 PM »

Say I have a folder called "corporate" and I want to add a user to the permissions of that folder.

It ends up making a "corporate-1" etc. So ALL users see both folders or however many (-2,-3,-4 etc) there are

but can only access one (which ever one the system assigned them)

Am I doing something wrong?

Cant I just have the list of folders, and have it to where if you dont have permission, you cant open it?

thank you for any help.

jno

• Level 1 Member
Re: When adding user permissions..... -1????
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 06:14:22 PM »

Is it through active directory or workgroup?

cjunemann

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 11:58:43 AM »

not sure on your question...hope this helps?

jno

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 08:34:43 PM »

I'm sorry, my internet security at work is blocking the images.

I'm talking about the web configuration utility for the DNS 343.  Press the "next" button on the box and take note of the IP address on the top right box.  Go to a computer on the same network as the DNS and open a web browser e.g. Internet Explorer.  Type in the IP address in the address bar and hit enter and it should bring you to the web configuration utility for the DNS 343.

If you haven't used it before then I believe the credentials are username=admin password=admin (or possibly nothing).

Once in, under the "setup" tab click "device" on the left pane and tell me if it says network type is on workgroup or active directory.

cjunemann

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 01:51:02 PM »

workgroup.

Thank you for working with me here....

jno

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 09:52:21 PM »

Sorry for my late reply.

Oh okay.  So each time you create a new permission it names this permission by assigning a number after the name of the folder the permission is assigned to.  So you can give, say, five different users different permissions on "corporate" and it will name the first one you do "corporate-1" then the next "corporate-2" ect.  It isn't actually making a new folder or anything - just telling you which permission you are dealing with.

Unfortunately there is no option in the web config utility to make folders unreadable to users.  There is only the options of read only or read/write.  So if you want to change permissions you have to go to the folder and do it manually.

If you use Windows XP: locate the folder(s) you want to change permissions on, right click -> properties -> security.
From here you can add/remove users and edit their permissions on that folder.  So if you are using it at home and there are certain people that could access it and you don't want to access files, add their user and edit the permissions as you see fit.

Sorry I couldn't help out more but I use Active Directory so I am unsure how managing really goes under a workgroup.

cjunemann

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 10:04:01 AM »

Ah, well, the employees are complaining that its confusing. We used to run off of a Buffalo Terastation and it wasnt like that. Youd see the folders and you could only get into what you had permission for. We were trying to get back to that, cant see why Dlink would have it this way...

thank you again for your help.

jno

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 12:55:20 AM »

Well if you are using it in a business I would think that you would use active directory (depending on the size of the business and number of users the business has).

And I could be wrong about the depth that dlink go into for folder security - you may want to play and snoop around in yours.. I just couldn't find anything.