• April 19, 2024, 01:03:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Anyone able to get smooth video? What settings?  (Read 5825 times)

grimloktt

• Level 2 Member
Anyone able to get smooth video? What settings?
« on: December 24, 2015, 01:47:20 PM »

Hello.  Has anyone at all been able to get smooth video, and if so, can you share your settings?

I am using a Netgear R8000 AC3200 Nighthawk Tri-Band WiFi Router combined with TP-Link AV1200 3 Port Gigabit Powerline Adapaters with CAT7 High Speed Computer Gold Plated ethernet cables.  I'm connecting to the cameras directly through my network instead of through D-Link's website.  No matter what video settings I choose, the video is jittery and not even close to smooth.

Any ideas?

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: Anyone able to get smooth video? What settings?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 05:32:58 PM »

Is this the 5222LB (h/w vers B)? OR h/w A?

You are logged into the f/w?

Does mydlink.com perform better?

What are your video settings set to?  Is your camera recording to SD card while you are trying to view? do you have email and video ftp setup also?  Or just trying to simply view?

Are you using anything wireless or is everything on ethernet? Try ethernet first. 

Try removing this gigabit powerline adapter stuff first and connect the camera directly to your router... less is more kind of thing here.

grimloktt

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 01:07:26 PM »

OK. I decided to try Internet Explorer and everything works perfectly!  The funny thing is that I can connect directly to the cameras, e.g. not through D-Link website.  If I go to the D-link website, it asks me to install add-on (?) to make it work. I decided not to use D-Link but instead connect directly through the camera.  I'm concerned if I re-download the add-on (had previously downloaded but was required to reset explorer for factory settings due to webmail isue) it would again be not smooth.  Thnx for the attempted help...

alanazar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 08:01:23 AM »

Hey,

I had so much trouble getting the cameras to stream properly on either wifi or remote and i'll write a more detailed post about that later.

For your ref i have 3 x 5222L and 2 x 2332L cameras all set on max HD settings, max resolution, max pic quality, H264 codec and max fps 30

For now, some quick tips that weren't really mentioned anywhere:
- enable QoS on your router (i still have mine disabled form the cameras, so i let the router manage it - i have an Asus RT-AC3200)
- i have a repeater (wifi extender) - i disabled the DHCP although it was on auto off
The final setting that made the difference:
From the router (NOT cameras) i fixed the IP addresses to each camera (mac address).
I fixed the wifi extender IP address as well, even though only 2 cameras connected through it and the problems i had were the same across all of them

After that i've had no trouble at all and it was such a relief...i have 5 cameras and was close to throwing them away.

Also make sure you troubleshoot if you still have trouble. For eg, on the mylink app on wifi vs remote is there any difference? What if you disconnect your phone form the wifi and then access the remote function through your network data, what happens then?

grimloktt

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 11:03:32 AM »

Yea, I couldn't get my cameras to work even with the high speed router/extender.  That's why I went with the powerline adpaters.

I had also turned on router QoS, reserved IP address for MAC address, and set all cameras to static ip addresses.

I'm not sure what you're asking?  I can see my cameras also on my Android phone: locally or out.

alanazar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 01:03:26 AM »

That's funny I was almost about to buy the powerline adapters until it finally worked for me.

I'm wondering if the issue i had was because of the wifi extender...did you turn off the DHCP server on the extender (don't even put it on auto).

On seeing your cameras and troubleshooting, it' not just about seeing them but checking what fps and bitrate you're getting when you press the "i" button.

Basically, if you're getting lag while on your wifi then there is something on your network that needs fixing...same trouble i had, just wish it was a lot smoother. I had to go through a lot of settings. Again, for the extender, try turning off the DHCp server and also setting it a manual IP address.

Also, please make sure you see my distinction in setting the IPs....DON'T do it on the device....do it from the router as well so the whole IP address allocation whether it is auto or manual is only managed by your powerful router.

grimloktt

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 04:03:43 AM »

I'm pretty sure that reserving the iP address on your router is not the same as setting static ip on device.  Case and point is the NVRs I just set up are not using the reserved iP address I once set--since I hadn't to turn them to DHCP to prevent boot loops with new firmware.

alanazar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 11:27:52 PM »

You're right it's not the same. I'm telling you what worked for me...i set the IP address on the router by binding the camera MAC address with an IP address set on the router AND NOT setting a static IP on the camera itself

I also did the same for my range extender from the router as well. (It could be that fixing the extender and not the cameras was what worked, but i didn't want to mess with the settings after to find out)

I just checked your router's documentation and this is in the "Address Reservation" under Setup\Lan Setup

When you are on the same wifi network, open the mylink app and view your camera on "Local" - is it still choppy? Are you seeing the fps and bitrate fluctuating heavily? (press the "i" button to see it)

grimloktt

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 04:13:25 PM »

You're right it's not the same. I'm telling you what worked for me...i set the IP address on the router by binding the camera MAC address with an IP address set on the router AND NOT setting a static IP on the camera itself

I also did the same for my range extender from the router as well. (It could be that fixing the extender and not the cameras was what worked, but i didn't want to mess with the settings after to find out)

I just checked your router's documentation and this is in the "Address Reservation" under Setup\Lan Setup

When you are on the same wifi network, open the mylink app and view your camera on "Local" - is it still choppy? Are you seeing the fps and bitrate fluctuating heavily? (press the "i" button to see it)

I did a little research after reading your post and it appears reserving an ip address within the router is very similar to setting static ip on the device.

As you suggested, I also set static ip on my extender (which the cameras aren't using) and reserved the ip address in the router.

Within the application, I have:
- 240P: 320 x 176 at ~30fps ~515Kbps
- 480P: 640 x 360 at ~3fps ~840bps

alanazar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 04:58:52 AM »

Hey,

Yeah I should have explained that. After reserving did you remove the static ip addresses from the devices so that ONLY the router manages it?

Also, to make sure we're troubleshooting the right things, can you please repeat the same test below with the following scenarios on the same quality setting.

- Camera connected through LAN + Mobile\Tablet app connected to wifi - what are those results?
- Camera connected through wireless + mobile\Tablet app - what are those results?