• April 24, 2024, 11:46:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-628: Desktop Adapter or USB Adapter?  (Read 7730 times)

Bulldog

• Level 1 Member
DIR-628: Desktop Adapter or USB Adapter?
« on: January 30, 2009, 08:56:34 AM »

D-Link offers desktop adapters (PCI card) and USB adapters to go with its routers. I've noticed that the DIR-628 and the Xtreme routers do not have a 'recommended' desktop adapter -- the only 'recommended' adapters are USB adapters.

I'll be using the DIR-628 with desktops (for now.) I'm wondering: Is there an advantage or disadvantage to one type of adapter over the other for a desktop computer?

If D-Link has a FAQ for this, just point me to where it is.

Thanks for your advice.

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
Re: DIR-628: Desktop Adapter or USB Adapter?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 01:18:45 PM »

USB adapter is a lot easier to install than the internal PCI models.  A lot of people are not comfortable in opening a tower/desktop PC and fiddle with the PC's internals.

USB is generally available on most PCs, be it laptops, netbooks and regular PCs.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 01:43:17 PM »

If you have the choice, chose any option over USB!

10 times out of 10 I will tell you it will make all the difference between connecting and not.  The reasons are at least threefold.

Better power, USB only provides 500mA (at best) at 5V (or thereabouts).

Better throughput, The phy rate for USB2 is 480Mbps, given a draft 802.11n connection has a phy rate of 330Mbps you are going to need a good USB throughput (which can be effected by a multitude of things) to avoid a bottleneck.

Better antennae layout, The form factor for a USB adapter only allows a very small and specific antennae array.  Desktop cards are a lot more flexibility there, if only for being able to move the antennae around.
non progredi est regredi

Bulldog

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 08:35:26 PM »

Thanks to both of you.

Yes, I can see the benefit of a USB adapter from a marketing point of view. It's true that most people are uneasy about opening the case (of a desktop) and installing cards. I'm actually quite comfortable with installing hardware, so that's not an issue for me.

On the other hand, this will be my first ever wireless setup, and I have no idea what to expect in the way of reception inside my home. One of the reasons I'm choosing D-Link gear is for the availability of external antennas, which I understand provide the best chance of good reception. I'm not really worried about throughput because all we do around here is share an internet connection. No VoIP, no video streaming, no online gaming. (Not yet, at least.)

The big thing holding me back from a desktop card is wondering whether the antennas will get in the way of other wires in the back of my computer. Maybe I need to actually see one of these things to get a sense of that.

Thanks again for your advice. I appreciate it.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »

If external antennas on the adapter are a concern a desktop card is the only one that will work for you.

As far as the stock antennae getting in the way of wires behind the computer, it is possible to run into issues, but I see that a whole lot less than USB issues cropping up.  YMMV.

I guess I am just biased though.
non progredi est regredi

Bulldog

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 10:06:53 AM »

Seems to me you are biased in the right direction.  ;)

I have meager connection needs right now...two cans and a string would work for me. I'll stop obsessing and use what fits, although the card is my first choice.

Thanks again.