• March 28, 2024, 03:23:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Microsoft VPN - unable to pass through GRE protocol 47  (Read 10943 times)

ewinkley

• Level 1 Member
Microsoft VPN - unable to pass through GRE protocol 47
« on: June 28, 2009, 10:38:18 AM »

I am unable to establish a vpn connection with a server behind the firewall, unless I set the server to be in the DMZ zone - which of course, is not secure.  Anyone know how to specify GRE be allowed?  On the server, I see an error in the event log that states:

A connection between the VPN server and the VPN client xx.xx.xx.xx has been established, but the VPN connection cannot be completed. The most common cause for this is that a firewall or router between the VPN server and the VPN client is not configured to allow Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) packets (protocol 47). Verify that the firewalls and routers between your VPN server and the Internet allow GRE packets. Make sure the firewalls and routers on the user's network are also configured to allow GRE packets. If the problem persists, have the user contact the Internet service provider (ISP) to determine whether the ISP might be blocking GRE packets.

After calling Tech support, they stated I need to place an entry for port 1723 (MS VPN) in the Application Rules - did that but did not resolve.  There appears to be no way to specify to allow GRE through. 

Anyone else have this issue and no of a solution?