• March 28, 2024, 01:34:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Network access after restart problem and uPnP keeps discovering problem  (Read 21696 times)

Rodent

• Level 3 Member

Hi,

I am running Windows XP Pro, DNS-323 Firmware is 1.03 both connected via a 1 GB switch.

Network Access Problem
After I restart my DNS-323 I loose Network Access to the device, I have three SHARES setup two require password access and one does not. After the restart when I click on the device via network places or the mapped drives I get ......

\\Dns323 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have
access permissions.
The network path was not found.
or
An error occurred while reconnecting S: to \\Dns323\Storage
Microsoft Windows Network : The local device name is already in use.
This connection has not been restored.

The only way I can get access back is to go into the web configuration > click on Advanced > Network Access > edit one of the shares and apply, no changes need to be made. I than have Network access back.

uPnP keeps discovering problem
On my Windows XP computer I have turned on uPnP descovery so when I connect a device that is uPnP compliant it pops up in the system tray saying newly discovered device found, I have had a ADSL Router for years that was discoverd once and I have not seen it rediscovered since but the DNS-323 is being rediscoverd about every hour or two and it doesn't seem to matter if the uPnP AV Server is enabled or disabled.
This is not a big problem but it is annoying.

So if any one out there has any ideals I would love to hear them.
Thanks for reading
Rodney

gugaucb

• Level 2 Member
Re: Network access after restart problem and uPnP keeps discovering problem
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 10:14:04 AM »

Network Access Problem
I reckon we need to config the DNS-323 as a master domain of network. This way, we just authenticate in samba server when we click in protected folders, but i don't know how we will do it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 10:16:16 AM by gugaucb »

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 04:25:57 PM »

What I have found with uPnP keeps discovering problem is that under My Network Places when it discovers the device again I get two listings for the device for about 5 seconds, than one of the list items disappear leaving one item.

No sure if this helps anyone but it is getting really annoying.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 04:46:52 PM »

Are you using the D-link Easy Search Utility software or Windows map utility to map your drives?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 02:36:04 PM »

Are you using the D-link Easy Search Utility software or Windows map utility to map your drives?

I have tried both, after a restart the Easy Search Utility can see the DNS-323 and the shares the same as with Windows but when I click on Connect for a share that does not require a user name and password I am prompted for one so I would say it cannot access the shares. When I edit and apply one of the shares in the web interface the Easy Search Utility works fine.

Rodney

eclipse31

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 12:59:22 PM »

I had the same problem and think I resolved it by assigning a static internal IP (192.168.x.x) address to the DNS-323, instead of letting it renew from my DHCP (on the router) on a periodic basis.

-W

What I have found with uPnP keeps discovering problem is that under My Network Places when it discovers the device again I get two listings for the device for about 5 seconds, than one of the list items disappear leaving one item.

No sure if this helps anyone but it is getting really annoying.

Roli

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 01:55:11 PM »

Robert wrote:

I am running Windows XP Pro, DNS-323 Firmware is 1.03 both connected via a 1 GB switch.

Network Access Problem
After I restart my DNS-323 I loose Network Access to the device, I have three SHARES setup two require password access and one does not. After the restart when I click on the device via network places or the mapped drives I get ......

\\Dns323 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have
access permissions.
or

The only way I can get access back is to go into the web configuration > click on Advanced > Network Access > edit one of the shares and apply, no changes need to be made. I than have Network access back.

Hi, I have exactly the same problems and have tried all solutions offered but nothings works - but strangely once in a blue moon it will work after a reboot - I have had the 323 since xmas and am so fed up with this problem I am about to throw it in the rubbish bin

Richard

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 04:00:03 PM »

Robert wrote:

Network Access Problem

access permissions.
or

Hi, I have exactly the same problems and have tried all solutions offered but nothings works - but strangely once in a blue moon it will work after a reboot - I have had the 323 since Xmas and am so fed up with this problem I am about to throw it in the rubbish bin

Richard

I know what you mean, I have had my 323 since Xmas also but I don't turn it off very often so its not suck a problem for me but when I do it is a pain in the ass.

I'm hanging out for firmware 1.04 and if this firmware does not fix the problem than I'm be looking for another solution.

Thanks for you input
Rodney

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 04:02:22 PM »

Thanks for that, this seems to have fixed the constant discovery of the device (something D-Link will have to look into?).

Rodney

I had the same problem and think I resolved it by assigning a static internal IP (192.168.x.x) address to the DNS-323, instead of letting it renew from my DHCP (on the router) on a periodic basis.

-W

jimmay3

• Level 1 Member
    • MAYPRINTING.COM
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 08:43:01 PM »

I just have mine in the same workgroup as all my pc's and I named it DNS-323.  I do not use any of the mapping software.  I simply access it thru it's name (Enter in Explorer Address \\Dns-323).  Why not just assign a static IP to it?  I like statics for my printers and drive.  Much easier when using FTP and you need a router to forward port 21 requests to the DNS-323.  I set my router to assign DHCP's starting at 100 and up, printers at 90-99, DNS-323 at 192.168.XXX.21 (easy to remember port 21 and IP 21).

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 04:22:45 PM »

I would recommend assigning a static IP address to the DNS-323.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 01:29:49 AM »

I have updated the firmware to v1.04 and am still having this same problem, after starting the DNS-323 I have to edit one of the network shares to what seem to me is enabling it. Can this not be done in the startup of the device?

I was hoping this problem would have been fixed with this firmware but it appears not, so when will the next firmware be released ???

Thanks
Rodney

Hi,

Network Access Problem

access permissions.
or

« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 01:52:58 AM by Rodent »

Roli

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 12:26:34 AM »

Hi, Rodent

I finally got this dam thing to show up after a reboot - I found that for some reason even when I set it to static and cloned the Mac address
it would not work - then I noticed the following -

IP Address:  192.168.0.xxx
Subnet Mask:  255.255.255.0
Gateway IP Address:  192.168.0.x
Mac Address:  00:1C:F0:0A:98:9B
DNS1:  220.101.191.xx
DNS2:  220.101.191.xx - these are the same as my wan DNS settings so when I changed them to the 192.168.0.xx range  it all works fine even after a reboot it all shows up under my networks - so at last all is well - but how did my wan settings get there in the first place

Rich

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 02:57:55 PM »

I'll do some testing with DNS settings and get back.

;D Thanks for the info Rich...

Rodney

Hi, Rodent

I finally got this dam thing to show up after a reboot - I found that for some reason even when I set it to static and cloned the Mac address
it would not work - then I noticed the following -

IP Address:  192.168.0.xxx
Gateway IP Address:  192.168.0.x
Mac Address:  00:1C:F0:0A:98:9B
DNS1:  220.101.191.xx
DNS2:  220.101.191.xx - these are the same as my wan DNS settings so when I changed them to the 192.168.0.xx range  it all works fine even after a reboot it all shows up under my networks - so at last all is well - but how did my wan settings get there in the first place

Rich

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 06:22:36 PM »

My tests so far:

IP Address:  10.x.x.250
Gateway IP Address:  10.x.x.254
DNS1: wan dns address 1
DNS2: wan dns address 2

If I setup the DNS-323 with my wan DNS IP Addresses the rebooting issue goes away but I have other network problem with DNS like web pages and even the DNS-323 web pages take ages to load and sometimes do not load.

IP Address:  10.x.x.250
Gateway IP Address:  10.x.x.254
DNS1: 10.x.x.254
DNS2: 10.x.x.254

When setup with my gateway address web pages are fine but I have the rebooting of the DNS-323 problem again.

So I do not know what else to try ???

Thanks
Rodney

PS. I was going to upload a JPG diagram of my network but the attachment upload area is not writable so how does one add a picture to a post ???
Pages: [1] 2