• April 16, 2024, 02:31:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Shares are not accessible after reboot (1.08)  (Read 23286 times)

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: Shares are not accessible after reboot (1.08)
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2010, 07:04:07 AM »

Well, if you're using EXT3, it is a journaling filesystem and has good protection from sudden shutdowns.

Of course, there's always the option of buying a UPS... :)
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2010, 04:29:37 PM »

Following what you wrote about the benefits of an always-on machine being the master browser I realized that I've gone about this wrong. The reason why after reboot the DNS-323's shares aren't imidiately accessible is becuase, by default, preferred master = no, which means after reboot the DNS-323 doesn't force an election of the master browser.

I changed the script so that the DNS-323 will be the master browser of it's workgroup and subnet and also force an election for master browser after it boots

If I have this right when the DNS323 is turned on it is becoming a master browser but not forcing an election so the already master browser continues to perform this roll also and all computers that are already on and using this master browser will not be able to contact the DNS323 but any computer that is rebooted or turn on and is lucky enough to start using the DNS323 as its master browser will connect to it fine and will start having problems connecting to the rest of the network that is still pointing to the other master browser.

I believe this problem has been around for a long time as I have posted several times on this subject so why is it so hard for D-Link to fix it?

R.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2010, 04:36:47 PM »

Actually, that's not how the master browser works.

The master browser will make periodic announcement broadcasts to let all the NETBIOS instances know he's alive, then they know where to send name requests.  If another machine gets confused about the master browser, an election is called.  However, if the DNS-323 has all the settings previously mentioned in this thread enabled, it will win any election unless there's another true server in the picture.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

Ita_gsxr

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2010, 03:38:55 AM »

I believe this problem has been around for a long time as I have posted several times on this subject so why is it so hard for D-Link to fix it?

Even If this is not a big problem it's really annoying. I've done firmware update from 1.03 to 1.08 hoping to resolve it. But nothing has changed.

It could be an improvement if in the next firmware release D-LINK add the possibility to choose the behaviour of the dns-323 regard Master browser election.

#   domain master = yes/no
#   local master = yes/no
#   preferred master = yes/no

Don't you think?

scaramanga

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2010, 04:29:20 AM »

It's, probably, not a question of how difficult/expensive it is to fix. It's a matter of priorities.
DNS-323 HW Rev. C1 FW 1.08 fun_plug 0.5
2 x Western Digital WD10EARS-00Y5B1 in Standard mode
(LLC changed to 5 minutes. Partitions aligned to 4K boundary)
Pages: 1 2 [3]