• April 26, 2024, 09:50:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cannot locate DNS-323 on network using East Search Utility  (Read 13633 times)

unconnected

• Level 1 Member
Re: Cannot locate DNS-323 on network using East Search Utility
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 01:55:14 PM »

Thanks fordem

I am clearly a bit slow when it comes to the finer points of networking.  What I think I take from your detiled reply is "don't change subnet if I don't know what I'm doing" (this clearly applies to me).

Is there anything I can check to make sure that PC and DNS (and router) are using the correct subnet?

With the DNS plugged into my router and my Vista laptop connected wirelessly (meaning I can access DNS drives through Windows explorer mapping and access configuration pages through the web (static ip 192.168.1.200) and firewalls turned off I would have thought that the ESU would be able to find the DNS??????

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 04:14:45 PM »

Two things ...

First - with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, if the first three sections (or octets) of the address - the 192.168.1 portion - are the same, then the devices will be on the same subnet.

Second - if you can access the drives and the config pages I would think that EasySearch should find the DNS-323 - it always has in my case - but if it doesn't for you, and Easy Search can see the unit when directly connected, which I think is what is happening, then lets' try to get BT installed that way.

Here's a step by step

1 - Start by setting the DNS-323 for DHCP - go in to the admin webpage, select Setup and then Lan and make sure the DNS-323 is configured as a DHCP client - if it's not, make a note of the settings before you change it, so that you can change them back after.

2 - Set the PC for a static address of 192.168.0.31, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, the other stuff DNS servers and gateway can be left blank - again, make a note of any settings so you can change them back later.

3 - Connect the PC directly to the DNS-323 with an ethernet cable - and run the EasySearch - if it finds the DNS-323, try to install the client.

Finally - reconnect everything the way it was before and reset any addresses you may have changed.

Let me know how it goes

RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

unconnected

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 10:23:03 PM »

Thank you so much for your help Fordem, I now have BitTorrent on my DNS.

I still don't understand why ESU can't locate it through my modem/router but the goal has been achieved.  Your efforts and tolerance of my ignorance with the finer detail of networking is GREATLY APPRECIATED.  Thanks again - all good now.  ;-D

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 04:20:54 AM »

You're welcome - and - like you, I don't understand why, EasySearch can't find the unit when your browser can.

My suspicion is it's firewall related, but, I believe you mentioned disabling the firewall - the thing is, I have come across at least one "internet security suite" (a combined anti-virus & firewall) that blocked telnet communication even though it was disabled, and I ended up having to uninstall it, I don't what you were using, and I don't know if it may be a similar issue.

JerryJ

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »

I don't know if you've come up with an answer yet but I ran into the same problem.  After a couple fun filled hours with 'customer support'  >:( I figurd out the problem was wiith my vpn router.  I swapped that out and the problem went away - put the router back and it re-appeared. 

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 06:59:19 AM »

I don't know if you've come up with an answer yet but I ran into the same problem.  After a couple fun filled hours with 'customer support'  >:( I figurd out the problem was wiith my vpn router.  I swapped that out and the problem went away - put the router back and it re-appeared. 

Even with that "evidence" I wouldn't describe the router as the "problem" - there are too many variables that can change when the router is changed - I'll give you just one example.

The private network range used by the router is typically 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x (there may be others, these are the most common) and at some point the windows (or other software firewall) was configured to trust one of those two ranges.  The router is then switched to one using the second range and most things - browsing email, etc. - work just fine, but certain types of local access do not.  Switch the router back and the problem goes away.

The cause in this example is not the router, or the network address range, but the firewall configuration, changing the router makes the problem go away as will changing the network address range in the router's DHCP setup, but neither one of those is the problem.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 03:22:19 PM »

I too have seen that alot as Fordem explained sometime it is just the anti-virus software not trusting certain IP address's or being picky about allowing new programs on the PC to access the network trying to protect it from viruses as that s what it is designed to do. This can take some knowledge of the software to properly configure it. Also having multiple anti-virus programs that are not designed to work together to protect your PC can cause major issues trying to access your network or install new programs. I would be willing to bet the issue you are seeing is due to the anti-virus software on the PC. I don't think I have every seen a case of this and had the customer tell me there is no anti-virus software on the PC.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

os2buddy

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2009, 01:31:55 PM »

I'm also cross posting this on the "cannot find harddriver, cant reset" thread (page 4 of DNS-323 thread):

Hardware version B1
Firmware version 1.03 (upgraded successfully to 1.06)
2 X 500G Maxtor drives.

After initial connection, I was able to get into the admin panel, and change the default
settings to what I wanted, activated the UPnP, IiTunes and FTP servers, setup network
access, connected via FTP etc. Everything was working fine. I was able to map
network drives, connect via FTP, login to Admin panel etc.

Then I did something very stupid ..... edited a saved config file with WORDPAD (don't ever
do this!), went into the Admin login panel, clicked on SYSTEM tab and told the DNS-323
to re-start with the modified config file, which it duly tried 2 do. I got the "wait re-booting"
page whilst the time counts down, and then it died.

I have tried everything to revive it, but no success. Here's what happens:
1. Power up DNS-323 and it starts, with power light flashing (like its supposed to).
2. After a few seconds, the drive lights turn solid blue.
3. The network light turns solid blue, but flashes once in a while.
4. The power light never stops flashing.
5. The DNS-323 does not connect to the DIR-655 router ........ so I cannot
    see the DNS-323 with either a browser or the Easy Search Utility.
6. Pushing the keyhole re-set button to restore to factory settings does nothing, no matter
    how long it is depressed.
7. The power button never stops flashing.
8. The only way to interrupt the DNS-323 is to pull the power cord.

So, bottom line is, I cannot access to any form of Admin function to reset the damn thing.

Is there any other way or method that one could use to "flash" an original factory default
operating system and configuration onto the DNS-323, so that I can have access to it ???

I have also tried a direct cable connection from my laptop to the DNS-323, but could not see
it. However, I might have done something wrong. With such a direct cable connection,
must a crossover cable be used ?? (I thought most RJ-45 ports on all devices are auto-detect
in today's world, so that any cable can be used). Also, how does one setup the IP configuration
on the laptop's NIC so that it can see the directly connected DNS-323 ???

This thing is brand new and I really want to get it working (I promise never to edit a config
file myself again!), and any help is appreciated ........... tried going thru D-Link's tech support
on the phone but that is a lost cause ..........

HELP !!

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2009, 04:30:46 PM »

os2buddy - the easiest way out of that is going to be to RMA it.

Basically what is happening is the edited configuration file is preventing the web server from running.

jdbos

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2009, 02:08:14 PM »

I experienced this same problem exactly: the DNS 323 is on my network and working (I can map volumes, I can access the config pages) but it does not show up in Easy Search.

It appears to have something to do with the Ethernet port driver on my motherboard. Since I suspect it is a driver issue, it is relevant to note that I am still running Windows 2000.

Here is what I have observed:
1) Start ESU. DNS 323 doesn't appear.
2) Close ESU.
3) Open the properties page for the ethernet adapter. (In Win 2k: Control Panel -> Network Connections, then right-click the correct adapter icon and choose properties. Win XP is similar except that I believe the Control Panel item is called "Networking." You are on your own in Vista.)
4) Make some change in the properties and close the dialogue.... doesn't seem to matter what you change. For example, un-click the TCP/IP protocol component.
5) Again open the dialogue but now reverse the change you just made, then close the dialogue.  (Note: most home and business networks require TCP/IP, so expect that your computer will not be connected to any network if you close the dialogue with that component un-selected.)
6) Now the DNS 323 shows up in ESU.

My theory is that by changing a property, you reset the driver for the Ethernet adapter. You have to do it twice, changing and setting and then reversing the change, because if you don't change anything when you close the properties dialogue, the driver will not be reset.

Further observation: after hibernate and restart the computer, DNS 323 is again missing from ESU. Follow steps 3-6 above and it's back.

YMMV but this has worked for me a couple of times now.
Pages: 1 [2]