• March 28, 2024, 05:08:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Raid 0 - Newbie ?  (Read 3876 times)

c371

Raid 0 - Newbie ?
« on: December 20, 2008, 05:02:44 PM »

Hello, newbie here.

I just purchased my DNS-343 and have set it up with four 1 TB drives.  I setup it up with Raid 1 to get two volumes. 

However, I would like to set up Raid 0 and have two volumes.

I would use Vol_1 and backup to Vol_2, and get the performance of Raid 0. 

Is this configuration possible, I could not tell from the documentation.

Thanks!

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Raid 0 - Newbie ?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 01:14:32 PM »

I do not see a way of having 2 Volumes using RAID0 however using the Custom option you can Create a RAID0 Volume_1 and a JBOD Volume_2 of your specified size which you can use just to backup to since you will not need the performance since it s just used for backup.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Raid 0 - Newbie ?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 05:29:54 AM »

Before you commit your data to a RAID0 array - you might like to do some performance testing.

On the smaller DNS-323 I found no performance benefit to using RAID0 making the additional risk of data loss not worth taking - I would also caution against having both primary and backup data stores on the same device, even though your plan would have them on different drives and therefore supposedly protected.

That protection would be effective against a drive failure only - there are other causes of data loss.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 05:33:15 AM by fordem »
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.