• April 18, 2024, 04:38:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DWA-140 RevB1 does not work with Win7 64bit  (Read 109019 times)

DBR

• Level 1 Member
DWA-140 RevB1 does not work with Win7 64bit
« on: July 08, 2010, 08:06:42 AM »

So, after two calls to D-link's support line (one techie sent me the 1.70 drivers which are for RevB2 and the other just said that 'it works on my computer') and a further attempt today to contact them for help (20 minutes on hold at 10p per minute before I gave up) I still cannot get this ruddy thing to work.

Win7 64bit
160 Gb Intel SSD
Gigabyte mobo
Core i7 920
6Gb Kingston Hyper 2000
Dir-635 router RevA1

I've tried the latest drivers for RevB1 (1.60), I've tried the Ralink drivers, I've tried everything that I can find online that others said worked for them (disable Win7 auto wlan configure, install drivers in safe mode, just install drivers and not the rest of the software, etc, etc)but the result is always the same.

Win7 can see the adapter, it says it's installed and I can uninstall the usb stick safely BUT...there's no flashing light and no connections can be found.

I'm not a noob - the computer's a home build - and the adapter works well on my other WinXP 32bit machines and this machine connects to the internet via ethernet so no problems there.

Can anyone help with this please? I find it astonishing that despite all the posts online from people with the same or similar issues that D-link have done nothing to sort this out and even refuse to admit that it's an issue when you call them. 2 adapters, 1 router all less than 3 years old and I have to replace some or all of them because the software doesn't support an OS to which they had the relevant code years ago.

Thanks in advance for any solutions that have worked for you.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 12:00:44 PM by DBR »

Svetoslav

• Level 1 Member
Re: DWA-140 RevB1 does not work with Win7 64bit
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 06:38:20 PM »

You could try this one: ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk//wireless/dwa-140/DWA-140_B1_v1.21(E)_s0056.zip
DIR-685 F/W Ver.: 2.02WW

DBR

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 02:48:02 AM »

Thanks Svetoslav, I'll try it again (I'm fairly sure that I've tried it before but I've installed so many different versions that I'm losing track...) but it's two or three revisions prior to the 1.50 and 1.60 versions that I definitely have tried.

1.21 is the latest one available on their UK site and the 1.50 and 1.60 versions I found on their US site. When I spoke to their support they didn't know why the UK site hadn't been updated but they confirmed that the latest versions were on the US site.

Have you used the 1.21 software with Win7 64bit?

Svetoslav

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 07:08:04 AM »

Hi DBR. The D-Link DWA-140 rev.B1 is listed on the Win7 compatibility center. When I received the D-Link DWA 140 rev.B2, I didn't use the supplied CD or official drivers. I recommend that you use the Ralink drivers, which might solve the problem. About a week ago, they updated the Win7 driver to v.3.1.3.0.

DBR

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 07:22:11 AM »

heh...that compatibility centre is the biggest crock of xxxx M$ has ever posted online! Thanks for the advice though. I have tried the Ralink drivers a couple of days ago but if it worked for you then I'm willing to give it another go to see if it works at the 2nd (or 3rd) attempt.

Did you use the .exe provided by Ralink or did you update the driver using windows update and then directing the update link to the .exe file? Not at home at the mo' but I'm fairly certain that I tried both and neither worked. Maybe I need to extract the drivers from the .exe file and just link the driver update process to the RT2870 driver without the executable file.

Thanks again, Svetoslav. If I can get this working I will post back here and let anyone else who's having the same issues know. In the meantime....if anyone else has any ideas, please feel free to post your solutions.

Svetoslav

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 08:16:12 AM »

You can't just extract the drivers from the .exe file, it's a WHQL-certified package.

You could try to:

1.Remove your D-Link DWA-140 rev.B1
2.Reboot in Safe mode, uninstall the card and remove all previous installed D-Link's drivers/software.
3.Reboot and try running some regcleaner programs.
4.Install Ralink's latest drivers (+Ralink Wireless Utility).
IS_AP_STA_RT2870_D-3.1.3.0_VA-3.1.3.0_W7-3.1.3.0_RU-4.0.0.0_AU-4.0.0.0_061710_1.5.8.0WP_Free.exe
5.Reinstall your D-Link DWA-140 rev.B1

DBR

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 08:40:48 AM »

Thanks Svetoslav.

I thought that (more than willing to be corrected on this point) WHQL-certified just meant that the drivers are M$ certified and not that there's any additional encryption used when compiling an .exe file so it should still be possible to extract the drivers...but if there's no need then I'm not going to waste my time doing so!

I'll use driver cleaner to get rid of any remnants of the old driver set and I've already uninstalled the software/driver and cleaned the registry using ccleaner when it all failed last time.

I'll give it a go this evening and see what happens.

Cheers

DBR

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 12:38:24 PM »

Ralink drivers and utility installed. Driver showing as 3.1.3.0 but still nothing. As far as Windows is concerned, my adapter is disabled and nothing I can do will enable it.

And it's not a problem with the adapter. I have two. Tried them both and neither works with Win7 64bit but they both work with WinXP 32bit.

Really not happy about this. Good IT companies provide legacy support. Others don't. Don't know (and I'm guessing the answer is 'no') if anyone from D-link tech support monitors this forum but this lack of support for Win7 64bit is not a good way to keep customers.

Been at this for a week now. Time to give up and find another supplier...any suggestions?

tax60

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 02:50:19 PM »

Hi Dbr, I am having the same problems and whilst D-Link call centre has been great and the staff are really trying to assist, it seems that from the various directions that they have little idea of what to do to fix the problem. I have used plug n play, downloaded files including Ralink and even been told by D-Link that I should buy a DWA-131 instead. I needed to remind them that windows 7 64-bit had now been around for some time.
Latest advice was to go to Optional Downloads on Windows Update, that there is a download for D-Link, have the DWA-140 plugged in when I double click the download.
Have not been able to find how to do this yet - and they could not guide me to how to do it.
If you follow up and try and advise your results, perhaps even post the URL link that would be great.
The Internet is alive with this problem and the fixes that people are trying, D-Link customers have a problem.

DBR

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 04:37:47 AM »

Hey tax60

I'm afraid that the Windoze Update function won't help at all. It just downloads an earlier revision of the driver than the one provided by Ralink.

However, I've noticed that the solution to this problem in other forums was to disable Kaspersky AV before installing. I use Zone Alarm but I understand that this uses the Kaspersky AV engine.

So...next step to try is to uninstall ZA, uninstall the drivers, install the drivers and then re-install ZA.

Something like this: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistanetworking/thread/58716eca-80cb-4555-a1f4-bd4e5350aeb4

I don't have this problem on 32 bit systems so it could just be an incompatibility between the adapter and the AV software in 64 bit systems. I'll give it a go and post results here.

Looknowires

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 10:56:41 AM »

That's fantastic tax60 and DBR! I've been trying to get a connection for a week. Just found this forum, and uninstalling Zonealarm and installing the D-link, or probably any other wireless adapter (they didn't work either) finally gave me the connection I so longed for.
Thank you ever so much!

rcoloma

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 05:16:33 PM »

DBR, im having the exact same problem with DWA-140 and Seven Ultimate 64-bit.

Have you worked it out?

EDIT:

I did it! DWA-140 Working on Seven 64 bit. Very nice adapter when get it going :)

Heres my system:

Q9400
GA-EP45-UD3L
Corsair Dominator 1066MHz 4 Gb Dual Channel
WD500 GB
Windows 7 Ult. 64 bit
Kasperky AV 2010

The problem got solved when i disabled the NDIS 6 Filter at the Wireless Network Connection (D-Link DWA 140). Disabling this filter the USB device was acctivated and on-line.

TIP: use the RALINK driver instead the DLINK. I got a much faster and solid stable connection with the Ralink driver.

After doing it, you can activate back the NDIS 6 Filter to get more protection to your connection.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 06:59:11 PM by rcoloma »

dav0p

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 08:11:54 AM »

I had the same problem when installing the dwa-140 - I cannot get the ???? thing to work in win7-64bit!
I have installed a Belkin draft-n which works immediately and with an excellent connection speed and transfer rate with my D-link DIR-615 cable modem.
Take my word it isn't worth the time and effort to mess around with the DWA-140 when the Belkin works so well.
Strangely enough if you install win 7 from scratch with the DWA-140 connected it works perfectly, so perhaps uninstalling the antivirus before installing the DWA-140 MAY work but I've got better things to do with my time.

rcoloma

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 06:17:34 AM »

dav0p, i agree with you.

Too much time and effort to get the DWA-140 going on Seven 64-bit.

tfnico

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 07:06:48 AM »

After trying to install the drivers a couple of times on Win7 64-bit, and finding this post, I tried uninstalling the D-Link stuff (normal uninstall). I then plugged it in without installing anything, and the built-in Win97 drivers worked.

Certainly no optimal solution, but it worked.
Pages: [1] 2