• April 19, 2024, 07:05:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DWA-130 VS DWA-135  (Read 35875 times)

yuppicide

• Level 2 Member
DWA-130 VS DWA-135
« on: July 27, 2012, 10:48:17 PM »

What's the difference in the DWA-130 and the DWA-135 or even the DWA-131 besides the smaller size of the 131?

I'll explain why I am asking.

I currently have a Western Digital TV Live Hub. It's a media player with 1TB hard drive attached to my television. Connected to that is the D-LINK DWA-130. WD has a list of compatible adapters over on their website. This model is listed, just not my specific revision. That list is in no way complete.. as they don't have time to sit there and test everything in the world out.

Now, I have a Netgear WRN2000V3 router, which is not listed on their chart. This router does not have any antennae sticking out of it. Just thought I'd mention that because the DIR-825 from D-LINK does. Maybe that has an effect on things too.

From router to where the WD is, maybe 30 feet at most.

I frequently lose my connection to it. I had it setup in Windows as a mapped network drive, so I can copy over files. The WD has a lot of built in internet apps as well. The device will just randomly lose it's connection/settings. I'll log in to Windows and get a message that the network drive is disconnected and it can't connect. Sometimes I can go to the WD and re-enter IP, DNS, and Subnet to get it working again. Other times won't work at all. Very frustrating.

Maybe the issue lies with the WD itself.. after all others have network problems too. Let's look past that, and try to see if I can fix things. I won't send it back to them because it's got all my data on it.. probably like 400 or 500 gigs of video and music. Sucks that I can't listen to my music from Windows anymore since I can't access the WD from here. Only if I walk to the television and do it with the remote.

So in order to try and get a resolution I've bought a D-LINK router.. the DIR-825. Got it online for a very good price (close to half off brand new)! I figured, since my USB stick is D-LINK, maybe I'll try D-LINK as my router too. Besides, the 825 has more features that I need than my current router has. The DIR-825 is listed on the chart of compatible devices, while my current router is not. I had only bought Netgear since it was cheapest.

The router will be here possibly next Tuesday, but if that doesn't clear up my problems I was thinking maybe I'll try another USB adapter. These are all the D-LINK models listed on their compatible chart, along with the version tested:

D-Link Rangebooster N USB Adapter    DWA-140    V1.30
D-Link Wireless 150 USB Adapter    DWA-125    V1.00
D-Link Wireless N Nano USB    DWA-131    Not Listed*
D-Link Xtreme N Dual Band USB adapter    DWA-160    vA2
D-Link N-150 Wireless USB Adapter    DWA-125    vA2
D-Link N-300 Wireless USB Adapter    DWA-130    vA2

Again like I said, that list isn't complete and the unit should work with most things. The 135 isn't on their list, I only mentioned it since it's on the D-LINK product page along with the 131. Obviously I don't want either of the slower N speed ones, so those are out of the question.

Ideally I'd like wireless.. it's slow as balls because that WD unit is not a traditional NAS. It only has one processor in it which has to handle file copying and video/audio playback as well. WD openly tells you this, so you know it's not as fast as you should be expecting.

As a last resort I'm going to try ethernet.. that'll be somewhat faster and maybe clear up my problem. Why am I saving that for last? Because even though I stated the WD is about 30 feet away at most, it'll take me one of two things: 1 - buy 75 feet of cable to run up wall, down hall, down wall, under door, up wall, around bedroom, down wall, into router.. or 2 - I could get away with about 50 feet of cable say and get in my apartments crawl space and run the wire. I probably should do that, but I just don't like going down in some dark place that's dirty and possibly filled with bugs or snakes. A friend of mine got bit by a brown recluse spider by accident and had to have two heart surgeries because of it!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:59:17 PM by yuppicide »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DWA-130 VS DWA-135
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 10:01:40 AM »

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.