D-Link Range Extenders > DAP-1860

Expander randomly "disconnects" from sub-net

(1/6) > >>

mikeduncan177:
Seeing a problem with my DAP-1860 as a WiFi extender working with a D-Link DIR-890L.  I am still trying to diagnose exactly what is happening, but hoping that someone else has seen this strange behavior.

When an iPhone client is connected to the Extender, it can see devices connected to the Router (ethernet and wifi) UNTIL suddenly it doesn't!  Confirmed this by Ping using ip address.  I can get it back by either re-connecting the WiFi to the Extender or (at worst case) by restarting the Extender.  It happens randomly, but I can guarantee it will occur within 4 hours.

Here is a little more information on what I have found:

* DAP 1860 Hardware version A1, Firmware 1.01
* DIR 890L Hardware version A1, Firmware 1.20
* Connection between 1860 and 890L is on the 2nd 5GHz band of the 890L and seems to be stable (no other traffic configured to go over this link)
* Smart Connect status on the Extended Network seems to make no difference and I see problem on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels
* I have seen this problem on more than one client device and not at the same time!!  Clients are iPhones running iOS 11.0.3, one iPhone 6s and one iPhone 5sI would appreciate any suggestions on how to further troubleshoot this issue.  Is it possible to activate Logs on these D-Link devices?

FurryNutz:
Link>Welcome!

* What region are you located?
* Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch?  Link> >FW Update Process

* Was the router and extender working before any firmware updates?
Does disabling SC and setting manual channel 11 on 2.4Ghz and manual channel on 5ghz with single modes exhibit differences?

What is the distance between the extender and DIR router?

mikeduncan177:
I am in the North America region (USA)

I followed the Update Process (same as your  link), so Yes I did Factory Reset before and after.

Yes, Router/Extender were working fine before firmware update on 890L

Router - Extender distance is 55ft, with one internal stud/sheet-rock wall between them.  Signal level shown on Extender is 3 out of 3 bars.

I will check the manual channel settings that you suggested, and let you know the results.

FurryNutz:
Ok, let us know. If the problem continues, I like you to load back the v1.11 FW on the 890L and then test again. There maybe some issues with v1.20. D-Link is reviewing things now with it.

mikeduncan177:
I decided to make sure I had a good config.bin which I had used to restore settings after upgrading to FW 1.20.  I rebuilt the configuration from scratch and I am still seeing the problem.

--- Quote ---Does disabling SC and setting manual channel 11 on 2.4Ghz and manual channel on 5ghz with single modes exhibit differences?

--- End quote ---
I did not quite understand exactly what you wanted me to do here....are to talking about the link between DAP-1860 Extender and the DIR-890L Router?

I like your idea of rolling back to FW 1.11 on the Router and seeing if the problem exists.  I have the 1.10 and 1.11 bin files, but don't know how to override the safety feature the prevents down-grading the firmware.

When I see the problem, I have determined some conditions that may be relevant to troubleshooting:

* When selecting the SSID to connect to on the iPhone client, it takes a lot longer to connect
* Pinging the Router fails, but pinging the Extender passes
* I have managed to establish a working path to the Router by renewing the Lease on the iPhone (worked once)
* I don't think Smart Connect on the Extended SSID makes any difference

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version