• April 26, 2024, 03:34:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Static DHCP outside of range  (Read 3766 times)

revdoil

• Level 1 Member
Static DHCP outside of range
« on: September 10, 2010, 09:06:04 PM »

I have been using a WRT54GL with Tomato for some time and I liked that I could have a DHCP range of say .30 to .50.  However I could have static DHCP for all outside of that so i could assign my printer for example a .10 address.  I liked this because all my static devices could still be set to DHCP but pull specific IP addresses, and any new device would be in the range I wanted.  To keep my network clean I organized blocks of address, printers may be .10 through .19, but this would create empty numbers.  I just got the 655, it's up and working great but I do not see the ability to do this with DHCP, it seems it forces me to static only numbers in the DHCP range.  Any advice or help would be great, thanks.

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
Re: Static DHCP outside of range
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 11:13:53 PM »

I setup my printer using the DHCP Reservation option.  That way its always the same IP address but I can set the printer itself to DHCP.  The reservation address has to be within the IP address range.

revdoil

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 04:50:56 AM »

I am not trying to use IP addresses outside of the range unless by range you are referring to the DHCP range.

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 01:13:12 PM »

on the SETUP > NETWORK page

In my setup I setup my range to be .2 - .11.  I use DHCP reservation to reserve my printer as .10 and the Wii as .11.  Any other computers will be assigned the .2 - .9 addresses.  The printer and Wii are setup to recieve their addresses through DHCP so that I don't have to physical enter the addresses on the machines, but they always get the same IP Address because of the reservation.  Just makes configuring the devices easy.

The reason it has to be in the range is that it is reserving that exact address for the device, no other device will get that IP after you reserve it.

ryan200

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 07:54:57 PM »

>DHCP
i never tried setting an ip out of the dhcp range, you could increase the range to 2 - 254 and then just statically set them, the dhcp server will not give out a reserved address to any other mac, you only have to worry if you have manually set and ip on a device, which you could still put in the dhcp reserved table and it will not give it out.

usually the only reason why you dont have the range be the whole subnet is so you can manually set ip addresses on devices and not have to worry about the dhcp server giving out those ips.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 01:39:28 PM by FurryNutz »