• April 25, 2024, 12:08:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dropping Wireless Connections  (Read 16729 times)

adrianK

• Level 1 Member
Dropping Wireless Connections
« on: August 14, 2010, 05:51:10 PM »

Hi everyone,

It sounds like I'm having a common issue as far as connection drops. I don't know what's causing it but when I look in the diagnostics portion I can see errors or drops in the wireless connection portion of the config screen. At the time I was on the wireless router, maybe 2 others were on via G and not N.

I realize the information provided here is scarce so I will try to repost with as much information as possible at a later date.

It's currently connected to a motorola DSL modem and all ports are being used for network printer devices (hp designjet, epson workforce, vonage telephone line, and one or other devices, I can't remember right now)

Is there any general reason as to why the wireless connection is dropping like this? Other users on the wireless network are on Macs, only myself and one other were using Windows 7 based laptops.

adrianK

• Level 1 Member
Re: Dropping Wireless Connections
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 11:50:25 PM »

91 views no responses? Is anyone else having any remotely similar issues?

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 12:48:02 AM »

Provide the log screenprint in which the drop outs show.
And try to describe if the drops occur in certain situations. For example, while downloading, when the VOIP phone rings etc.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

dagger_99

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 07:30:13 AM »

91 views no responses? Is anyone else having any remotely similar issues?

It's not that we don't want to help, but we have all been through this scenario and there has not been a resolution to it. I have moved on and bought a Linksys, but just login every now and then to stir the pot :)

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 08:53:05 AM »

It's not that we don't want to help, but we have all been through this scenario and there has not been a resolution to it. I have moved on and bought a Linksys, but just login every now and then to stir the pot :)

Hmmm, maybe I need to start poking around on the Linksys forum where the same exact complaints are posted about Linksys routers... ::)

dagger_99

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 09:56:14 AM »

Hmmm, maybe I need to start poking around on the Linksys forum where the same exact complaints are posted about Linksys routers... ::)

Sure Eddie, be my guest :) Bottom line... easy setup, no need for complicated network settings (since I wasn't smart enough to do it myself) and no dropped connections on 5 machines.

You and I have been having some fun with this for quite some time, and have enjoyed the battle of wits. But for all those who are having problems and are tired of D-Links' "head in the sand" approach to the 1.21 - 1.34 Firmware debacle, head on over to Linksys. Who knows?

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 11:38:38 AM »

Sure Eddie, be my guest :) Bottom line... easy setup, no need for complicated network settings (since I wasn't smart enough to do it myself) and no dropped connections on 5 machines.

You and I have been having some fun with this for quite some time, and have enjoyed the battle of wits. But for all those who are having problems and are tired of D-Links' "head in the sand" approach to the 1.21 - 1.34 Firmware debacle, head on over to Linksys. Who knows?

They messed things up from 1.21 to 1.31 (due to the new dev kit from Ubicom and exactly this same time their product management suddenly had some new names coming in  :o), but starting from 1.34 they got it right again.

Linksys does have it's share of wireless issues. I know since I own two Linksys routers also. Can't say they satisfy me, it's those devices that cause me all kinds of issues, not the 655.

And, you will also know that local environment issues have been mistaken for bugs. Since there were some bugs with DNS relay suddenly everything that went wrong was blamed on this.

So, let's keep having fun here...no better way to pass some spare time than getting people actually pissed off about something trivial as a router  ;D

swabby

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 11:22:23 AM »

"They messed things up from 1.21 to 1.31 (due to the new dev kit from Ubicom and exactly this same time their product management suddenly had some new names coming in  ), but starting from 1.34 they got it right again."

Also having some dropping instances so I thought I would upgrade firmware from 1.20.  At rev A4.  The "firmware" page in the router tells me that 1.21 is the latest even though I can see 1.34 on the Dlink website.  What's up with that?  Assume I can download 1.34 and install  as usual, true?  Is there a reason why the "show latest version" feature in the router does not show 1.34? 

I upgraded to 1.21 and will try unchecking "Short GI" (found on another post) to see if any help.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 12:24:34 PM by swabby »

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 03:43:01 PM »

The 'latest version' thing just does not work.

My suggestion: get 1.34 and upgrade.

x5brown

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 02:03:13 AM »

I'm losing connectivity as well and cannot figure it out.  I've had the router over a year and all was well up until about a month ago.  Then my wireless connections began dropping on all 5 wireless devices.  I thought my router was bad so I went and bought a new one... same problem!  I've tried changing channels, etc and that doesn't fix it.  I think it must be some kind of interference.  I unplugged all phones, took batteries out of remotes, etc and still nothing helps.  some side notes that may not be related.  this started happening around the same day that I got the iPhone 4.  also Uverse has become available in my neighborhood recently and I now notice some 2wire networks that I'm picking up, but they are all secured.  grasping at straws... any ideas?

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 11:19:33 AM »

I've seen that amateur radio enthousiasts can cause quite some static in a neighbourhood. Seen any antenna's being installed somewhere lately? Or a new device somewhere around in the neighbourhood to keep tabs on a new baby? These device (mostly the cheap stuff) can have an astonishing reach.

billy_kidd

• Level 2 Member
Re: Dropping Wireless Connections - my solution
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 07:10:49 AM »

I recently upgraded from 1.21NA to 1.34NA and when I did that one of my laptops started losing its wireless connection every hour or so (rough ballpark timeframe).  This laptop is running N-wireless using a Netgear WNDA3100 Version 1 USB Dual 2.4/5.0 adapter.  Since nothing else had changed in my environment, and since my other wireless G devices were working fine I concluded the problem was in my Netgear adapter.  There aren't a lot of configuration options available in the Netgear wireless utility, but I made two changes that solved the problem.  I don't know if either of these alone would have fixed it as I made both changes at the same time:
1) Changed Preamble from Auto to Long
2) Changed from 5/2.4 Up to 300mbs to 2.4 Up to 300mbs

That solved the main problem.  

UPDATE: Well, I thought Long Preamble fixed it; but I was wrong :-(

The thing is, the adapters show that they are connected, but can't access the internet.  they show speed = 270mbs for example, everything looks good, just no access to websites.  Need to restart / repair the adapter connection.  Also of note, this only occurs with N, everything on G works great, even while the N stops working.  Welcome to the Bizarro World.

switched to WNDR3300 and problems are solved.  For now...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 03:26:34 PM by billy_kidd »

Nodens

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 08:24:46 AM »

I also have the same problem for a while now. All devices drop their wireless connection after a while (iPhone 3GS, Sony VAIO Laptop, D-Link DAP-1522). This never happened before. They lose their wifi connection and when you try to find the network again you cannot find it even though DIR-655 shows it's broadcasting. I have to close and reopen the wifi in order to work again. This works but after a while the devices lose it again.

Patrick533

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 11:12:05 AM »

Hello!

I am new to D-Link and throughly read through the posts on this router, and still purchased one.

I purchased a Linksys router, and could NOT take it back fast enough, a couple months back.

Heres the caveat, I am an ex electronics engineer (RF, they sent most of the jobs I did to India). I have a background in in IT also (hey, it pays the bills!). ;D

The router has been up and running for 2 days, it is getting PLENTY of use, no problem with the wired portion. I did update the firmware and configured it before I put it on line.

The question: I ran a log on the wireless last night, and over a 12 hour period, the wireless signal would drop to nothing as if the radio shut off and then would come back up. You could literally set your watch to it. I was on my way out the door for work, so I did not see if there was a setting that would cause the radio to "refresh" every so often. I have ran the same log on an Actiontec and a Linksys and the signal were solid for 12 hours on both the Actiontec and the Linksys. I surfed on the wireless part of the router last night for some time, there was NO problem getting the 30/2 that I pay for from my Internet carrier. Just the radio resetting is something I have never seen before in a wireless network. The Wireless is configured for G-Mode only! Also, auto channel of OFF!

I have 2 gamers at home and 2 video watchers (plus myself), if this router is a POS, I will know very soon. The temp in southern cal is in the 100 degree range, so if it has temp problems, we will know that too. Hopefully my experience with D-Link is better the my experience with the new Linksys routers.

After the Linksys I got a new Actiontec/Verizon router, it worked well but I need to upgrade my backbone to gigabit! The rest of my upgrade was purchased last night from newegg and it is all D-Link!

Please advise on the radio dropping like clock work.

Thank you in advance!

Pat
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 11:40:14 AM by Patrick533 »

Nodens

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 11:29:45 AM »

Can we have please an official statement from D-Link? This is a very annoying problem! The WiFi practically doesn't work any more with these kind of problems. Is it the firmware, configuration options, heating problems? Please comment.
Pages: [1] 2