• March 28, 2024, 06:39:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DGL-4500 Internet Connection Dips/Drops  (Read 27262 times)

Nosnowman

• Level 1 Member
DGL-4500 Internet Connection Dips/Drops
« on: March 13, 2013, 07:57:53 AM »

I've had my DGL-4500 for several years with no problems. About 6 months ago I started noticing that the internet connection would occasionally dip to a point where I couldn't load a web page, and or completely disconnect during the day. To fix this, I would just unplug/replug it to resolve the problem. As time has gone on, the frequency of this problem is now up to several times a day. I'm about ready to throw it out, but thought maybe someone might be able to help me check some settings, etc. I'm connected to COMCAST via their ARRIS TM722 cable modem. Any help or insight would be appreciated.  ???

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DGL-4500 Internet Connection Dips/Drops
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 08:09:07 AM »

Link>Welcome!
What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.
Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on routers web page under status.
What region are you located?
Are you wired or wireless connected to the router?
Has a Factory Reset been performed?

Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values

Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router.
Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options. Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.
Enable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) under Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting.
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
If IPv6 is an option on the router, select Local Connection Only or Disable IPv6 options under Setup/IPv6.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall.
Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules.
WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed
Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP server feature. Tools/Time.

Link>Wireless Installation Considerations
What wireless modes are you using? Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
Try single mode G or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N on 5Ghz?
Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
Try setting a manual channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto.
What wireless devices do you have connected?
Any cordless house phones?
Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?
Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.
Try turning off Short GI, WLAN Partition,and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.
Enable WMM Enable Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.

Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.

Do you have phone services thru the Arris modem? If you don't, might be time to upgrade the ISP modem. I recommend a Motorola SB 6 Series modem, i.e. 6120, 6121, 6141 or 6180
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Nosnowman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 09:25:23 AM »

Thanks for all of the feedback. My answers and additional questions are below.

ADDITIONAL INFO: My computer is a Mac Book Pro, connected to a Bookendz Docking Station. I have all 4 ethernet ports used: 1- HP Printer, 2- Vonage Phone Modem, 3- 4port HUB, 4-Netgear mini router.

QUESTION: Do you think I should update the firmware since the version I'm running is from 2009.?

What Hardware version is your router? HW A2

What Firmware version is currently loaded? FW 1.21NA

What region are you located? Southern Florida (Northwest Broward County)

Are you wired or wireless connected to the router? Wired

Has a Factory Reset been performed? No

Check ISP MTU requirements- QUESTION: I can log into my router. Please give me the menu steps to find this on my router access page. I am using FIREFOX as my web browser.

Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values

Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router.

Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options. Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
QUESTION: Please give the directions on the router web browser menu to find these settings.

Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.
QUESTION: There is no "setup" button on my router access page. On the top menu, you have: BASIC, ADVANCED, TOOLS, STATUS, and HELP. Each one of those has a sub menu. Please try to explain the path to find these features using this main menu path.

Enable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) under Setup/Internet/Manual.
QUESTION: There is no "setup" button on my router access page. On the top menu, you have: BASIC, ADVANCED, TOOLS, STATUS, and HELP. Each one of those has a sub menu. Please try to explain the path to find these features using this main menu path.

Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting.

If IPv6 is an option on the router, select Local Connection Only or Disable IPv6 options under Setup/IPv6.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall.
Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules.

WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed

Try setting a manual channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto.
What wireless devices do you have connected? Ipad
ANSWER: ipads, iphones

Any cordless house phones? YES

Any other WiFi routers in the area? NO

Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?

Try turning off Short GI, WLAN Partition,and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless. DONE

Enable WMM Enable Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless. DONE

Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.

Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.

Do you have phone services thru the Arris modem? ANSWER: YES

If you don't, might be time to upgrade the ISP modem. I recommend a Motorola SB 6 Series modem, i.e. 6120, 6121, 6141 or 6180

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 09:47:03 AM »

ADDITIONAL INFO: My computer is a Mac Book Pro, connected to a Bookendz Docking Station. I have all 4 ethernet ports used: 1- HP Printer, 2- Vonage Phone Modem, 3- 4port HUB, 4-Netgear mini router.

QUESTION: Do you think I should update the firmware since the version I'm running is from 2009.?
Possible upgrade is a solution as we did see some routers exhibit problems with using v1.21NA FW.

I recommend that you factory reset the router and follow some of the suggestions I mentioned before updating FW.

Check ISP MTU requirements- QUESTION: I can log into my router. Please give me the menu steps to find this on my router access page. I am using FIREFOX as my web browser.
You can find MTU value settings under Basic/Internet/Manual

Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values

QUESTION: Please give the directions on the router web browser menu to find these settings.

***Please substitute any SETUP wording for BASIC in the items mentioned below. All other menu options should be the same.***

Try turning off Short GI, WLAN Partition,and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless. DONE

If you don't, might be time to upgrade the ISP modem. I recommend a Motorola SB 6 Series modem, i.e. 6120, 6121, 6141 or 6180
Motorola makes some 6 Series modems that are also capable of phone support as well.

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Nosnowman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 10:07:34 AM »

Possible upgrade is a solution as we did see some routers exhibit problems with using v1.21NA FW.

I recommend that you factory reset the router and follow some of the suggestions I mentioned before updating FW.

You can find MTU value settings under Basic/Internet/Manual

ANSWER: I found this setting and mine is set at 1500.

***Please substitute any SETUP wording for BASIC in the items mentioned below. All other menu options should be the same.***
ANSWER: DONE

What wireless modes are you using? ANSWER: ALL OF THEM
NOTE: I AM NOT HAVING ANY WIRELESS ISSUES.

Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.

Motorola makes some 6 Series modems that are also capable of phone support as well.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 10:12:35 AM »

Let us know if anything has changed or helps with this.

Try a factory reset if this happens again.

Also make sure that the ISP cable line going into the modem is in good working condition and the signal levels going into the ISP modem are to spec. You'll need to check with the ISP service for this.

If there are any t.v. cable line splitters on the cable line before the ISP modem, these can reduce the signal going into the modem. Recommended is to have a dedicated cable line into the ISP modem. If a t.v. line splitter is needed use 1 good quality one.

If after all this, you seem to still exhibit connection problems, then you can attempt a FW update.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Nosnowman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 10:20:57 AM »

THANKS!!

Will do!

Nosnowman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 08:09:28 AM »

Dear Furry-

Here's the update: Sorry to say I still have the same problem. How do i update the Firmware?...seems as if that's the next step.

Thanks,

Marc

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 08:20:04 AM »

Ok, please review this and follow it for upgrading FW:
FW Update Process

You'll need to download the FW from the main web site first:
http://www.dlink.com/us/en/support/product/dgl-4500-xtreme-n-gaming-router

Please follow the FW update process for doing this.

I recommend after doing the last factory reset, configure and set up the router from scratch first to see how it works for you. Don't load any saved configuration file.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 08:35:11 AM by FurryNutz »

Nosnowman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 08:43:47 AM »

Going to try the Factory Reset before updating the Firmware. Will let you know how it goes- Thanks

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 08:44:34 AM »

And one after. Keep us posted.  ;)

Nosnowman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 06:07:47 AM »

Dear Furry,

Wanted to give you an update and some good news. My final 2 actions were completed in the following order:

1- Replace the Ethernet cable as you previously suggested.

2- Complete the firmware upgrade as per your instructions.

I don't which of the 2 actions did it, but I've been testing and using the router for the past 5 days with NO Dips, Drops or Disconnects.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

Marc

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DGL-4500 Internet Connection Dips/Drops (RESOLVED)
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 06:40:44 AM »

Awesome. Glad it's working well for you.

Enjoy.

Theother0

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 05:53:15 PM »

I've had my DGL-4500 for several years with no problems. About 6 months ago I started noticing that the internet connection would occasionally dip to a point where I couldn't load a web page, and or completely disconnect during the day. To fix this, I would just unplug/replug it to resolve the problem. As time has gone on, the frequency of this problem is now up to several times a day. I'm about ready to throw it out, but thought maybe someone might be able to help me check some settings, etc. I'm connected to COMCAST via their ARRIS TM722 cable modem. Any help or insight would be appreciated.  ???

I was doing some snooping around the other day since i have been noticing the issue as well, and came across this:

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/d-link-dgl-4500/4505-3319_7-32748872.html

The issue that you have been experiencing come to find out was a known issue from the beginning. If I would have known this from the get go I would have not purchased one. And I am sure that it's been too long for me to ***** about the known issue and try to get them to send me a new one. I have been looking at the Asus RT-AC66U and it is holding the spot at #1 right now for overall performance.

Check out the reviews for the BEST ROUTERS out right now at:

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-wireless-routers/

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 06:16:39 PM »

The issue is not with the 4500. I've never had any issue with mine. Most of the problems seen are external conditions and user configurations of the router.

Also this review 5 years old and out of date. There was one FW version that had problems however was fixed.

CNET is biased and does not offer the best objective reviews. Other web sites have more objective reviews.

THe 4500 is one of the best routers of it's time and still is a good router, specially for gaming.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 06:20:40 PM by FurryNutz »
Pages: [1] 2