• April 24, 2024, 04:52:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Added Drive, won't format and times out  (Read 4527 times)

HomeCloud

• Level 1 Member
Added Drive, won't format and times out
« on: March 30, 2013, 03:00:10 PM »

I added a 1.5TB Samsung HD154UI drive (2nd drive in DNS325) and went through the format as standard wizard. It gets stuck at 0% and gives me a user timeout. The SMART HD test comes back 100% fine. The drive was taken from an XP machine where it was working fine.

The NAS itself has all the lights go out momentarily, then the power light comes back and flashes, then the HD lights come on solid. I can hear the drive spinning but it doesn't look like it's formatting.

Any suggestions?

Using FW 1.03

priitv8

• Level 3 Member
Re: Added Drive, won't format and times out
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 03:35:28 PM »

I personally would start with wiping the XP partition scheme (MBR) from the drive.
You might want to start with standard Windows tools and just remove all partitions.
If that doesn't help, then there are tools that let you zero-out first n-thousand sectors of a drive (zeroing full 1.5TB is not needed and would waste time unnecessarily) to achieve this effect.

HomeCloud

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 11:04:35 PM »

Thanks priitv8. I'll give it a try.

[Update] Deleted the partition and still no luck. It's really strange that the NAS sees the drive but won't format it. When I tried the extended SMART test it also didn't work (quick one does).

The drive works as a data drive in windows machines....but I'm trying to depart from having significant data storage in Desktop machines themselves. Not sure what to do with this drive.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 04:19:59 PM by HomeCloud »

priitv8

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 11:40:55 AM »

Extended SMART test takes considerable amount of time to run!
Hard to say, why won't the NAS take your Samsung drive.

MrFurious

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 07:09:13 AM »

I have this exact problem, except I'm using two brand new drives.  I installed and formatted the first 2TB drive (WD Red) and it works fine.  When I add the second and try to format it as a second volume, it just times out the interface and nothing happens.

I saw another post where someone recommended formatting each drive individually before inserting both of them, which I may try.  Has anyone else seen this problem?

cable2

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 07:50:27 AM »

Hi folks,
You might try removing all partitions from the new drive and then place only that drive in your right slot of your 325 and try to format it as a standard drive.  If that works, just move it to the other side and replace your original drive.  Good luck.