• March 28, 2024, 01:18:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: amber light on a HD  (Read 5431 times)

chuckv

• Level 2 Member
amber light on a HD
« on: January 21, 2008, 02:32:39 PM »

hi all,

i have noticed (3 days ago) that my unit now has an amber light on the HD. i only have one HD as it is, however, when i log into the admin interface, i get no error message

can anyone advise what amber light is?

cheers

jupiter

Re: amber light on a HD
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 03:56:20 PM »

You have an amber light on the front of the DNS-323 or on the Physical HDD?

do you have current Firmware?

DId you add the bit torrent function or the Video functions  to the device?

also are you using any type of RAID on the drives?

chuckv

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 04:31:21 PM »

hi there,

i have an amber light on the 323 where my only HD is

firmware: latest beta (im pretty sure that is)
but torrent: mldonkey

no raid as i only have a single HD in it

cheers

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 09:24:34 AM »

The amber LED is designed to indicate a failed drive. You mention Beta firmware, do you have 1.04? It may be due to the firmware used if it is beta. What size is the hard drive installed? Also you may want to backup your data and try formatting the drives again using this firmware.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

chuckv

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 04:28:50 PM »

hi guys,

i thought amber light would mean a failing HD, but i would also think that the admin page would tell me that i have a failing HD as well. went into the status page of the admin portion and no mention of anything that stands out other than normal information

as for what HD i have? i have a single WD 500gb.. model? cant recall

as for firmware? i have a funny feeling its the firmware? reason for this is i opted to install Twonky to stream to my xbox360 (no other option).. so i rebooted the 323 after install and the amber light was gone.

odd thing is that the 2nd poster asked if i had a torrent application running on it.. which i do.. but that begs the question, how did that become relevant? other than the occassional volume_1 share dropping off about 30 minutes after reboot (which the latest beta firmware fixed), now it only drops off about 3/4 hours after reboot (actual times are guesses as i am not on that thing 3-4 hours at a time).. only use it when i come home wich is 10 hours later, but share has stopped .. have to telnet in and do an SMB restart (thanks to another poster for that quick work around)

essentially it could be a failing HD if i have to keep restarting the samba service, or it could just be the device. hard to tell. dont know of any log that will give me any bit if information on this.

but for now, no amber after a reboot of device.. and an ad-hoc smb restart

i may have to do a backup sooner or later, but that cant happen till next wednesday (pay day) to get my 2nd HD. till then, i will just have to take the risk & hope my HD does not crash

FYI: running firmware NAS202B_DLINKEu_DNS323.1.04b82(1.35.1228.2007) .. .which does not work with the XBOX360
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 04:43:47 PM by chuckv »