• March 28, 2024, 07:31:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: PPPoE won't connect when in Static IP  (Read 10025 times)

Dufess

• Level 1 Member
PPPoE won't connect when in Static IP
« on: April 23, 2011, 05:42:24 PM »

I have a static IP at home and i have setup my Westell DSL modem to bridge - like the ISP told me too.  Then i change my 655 to PPPoE username and password, but when i give it the static IP, it won't connect.  But when i change it to DHCP, it connects.  Is this a Router issue, or a ISP issue.  I am leaning toward ISP, but i wanted to check with DLink first.

THanks

Daniel

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
Re: PPPoE won't connect when in Static IP
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 04:18:31 AM »

I have a static IP at home and i have setup my Westell DSL modem to bridge - like the ISP told me too.  Then i change my 655 to PPPoE username and password, but when i give it the static IP, it won't connect.  But when i change it to DHCP, it connects.  Is this a Router issue, or a ISP issue.  I am leaning toward ISP, but i wanted to check with DLink first.

THanks

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Don't use PPPoE, but use DHCP. Take the DSL Westell out of Bridge Mode. Assign the D-Link an IP Address from the DSL Modem and place it in the DMZ Zone of the DSL Westell Modem. Set the Firewall on the DSL modem to its lowest level.

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

Dufess

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 09:16:14 AM »

I am not sure i understand how this works.  So i don't use PPPoE on the router, but use DHCP - no user name or password, i just let the modem handle the connection?

What about the static IP from my ISP?  Do i set that up anywhere on the Modem or Router?

I understand the DMZ - (NAT) but i don't understand how i get the static ip from my ISP.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 09:34:10 AM »

Preferred way for DSL is to bridge the DSL modem and use PPPoE/UserName and PW on the router. After thats all set up you need to Power OFF the modem and router and bring back up. The router should auto obtain a Public IP address from the modem if the PPPoE information was entered in correctly on the router. This is for authentication purposes. You can check the status of the connection on the router under Status/Device Info/Wan section. Make sure Always ON is enabled.

Have seen some modems that are just not willing to work with some routers, in this case, you might have to put the router IP address it gets from the DSL modem in unbridged modem into the DMZ of the modem and set any firewall settings to OFF or lowest setting. Set the router from PPPoE to DHCP under Setup/Internet/Manual.

You might research on getting your own DSL modem as other dsl modems are better then ISP modems.
Let us know how it goes.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 10:55:52 AM »

I am not sure i understand how this works.  So i don't use PPPoE on the router, but use DHCP - no user name or password, i just let the modem handle the connection?

What about the static IP from my ISP?  Do i set that up anywhere on the Modem or Router?

I understand the DMZ - (NAT) but i don't understand how i get the static ip from my ISP.

Hi Dufess,

Most ISProviders nowaways, change your Internet IP Address at whim.

If the Westell Modem, does not have a Router as part of the Modem, you don't need to place the Router into the DMZ Zone.

After the DSL Modem and Router are hooked up, remove power from both. If plugged into a Surge Protector, turn it off and then turn it on after 30 seconds.

From your Wired Computer, you should have Internet and be able to set up your Wireless portion of the D-Link Router.

Let the DSL Westell Modem handle the Internet IP Address.
thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

Dufess

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 08:48:19 AM »

I have tried the PPPoE connection with my router, and put in the user name and password - set the static ip from my ISP and it doesn't connect.  The modem is set to bridge.  So this should work, i have all the IP's in the right spot and it won't connect.  However, under PPPoE I can change to a dynamic IP and not static IP and it connects just fine.  Why would this be? 

I don't completely understand the part that was suggested to put the router on a ip from the DSL modem and put the router in the DMZ (NAT)  Set the router to DHCP and take the modem out of bridge.  How would this then get my static IP from my ISP?  I have an assigned Static IP from my ISP. 

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 09:07:41 AM »

Even though your ISP supposedly says your getting a Static IP address, that is meant for the modem or your service that your paying for. It's probably due to the fact that the modem should be handling the static IP address from your ISP and in un-bridged mode, it does. Having an additional router on the line and putting the modem in bridged mode, means that the Static IP address is handed past the modem and down to the router if PPPoE information is used in entered in correctly. It's possible that the router prefers to use DHCP on the PPPoE side and doesn't need to have the Static IP address manually entered in to the router. It should auto obtain the static IP address from the modem in bridged mode. Is this happening?

Putting the 655 router into the DMZ of the unbridge modem will get an private IP address from the modem, probably a 192.168 address. This will not get a public IP static address from the ISP as the modem gets this in unbridged mode.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 09:37:33 AM »

I have tried the PPPoE connection with my router, and put in the user name and password - set the static ip from my ISP and it doesn't connect.  The modem is set to bridge.  So this should work, i have all the IP's in the right spot and it won't connect.  However, under PPPoE I can change to a dynamic IP and not static IP and it connects just fine.  Why would this be? 

I don't completely understand the part that was suggested to put the router on a ip from the DSL modem and put the router in the DMZ (NAT)  Set the router to DHCP and take the modem out of bridge.  How would this then get my static IP from my ISP?  I have an assigned Static IP from my ISP. 

Hi Dufess,

That's it. The Static IP Address is assigned by the ISProvider. You don't enter it yourself. You assign Static IP Addresses for your Devices going through the Router to the Internet.

http://192.168.0.1/Basic/Network.shtml Use this page in the Router Settings.

Dufess

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 10:26:52 AM »

When I use the dynamic IP address and let the router obtain the IP from the Modem that is set to bridge, i DO NOT get the static IP I was told from my ISP.

It does connect and I can surf the web, but i don't get the right IP address.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 10:33:43 AM »

Then seems like the address the modem is getting from the ISP has changed then?
Need to verify with the ISP that the modem is supposed to actually get this Static IP address from the ISP and it's correct. I presume the address showing up on the routers WAN section is something like" ##.##.###.###?

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 12:37:49 PM »

When I use the dynamic IP address and let the router obtain the IP from the Modem that is set to bridge, i DO NOT get the static IP I was told from my ISP.

It does connect and I can surf the web, but i don't get the right IP address.

Hi Dufess,

Do this and should have been done at the start.

Remove the D-Link Router from the equation.

Take the DSL Modem out of Bridge Mode.

Hook up the DSL Modem to your Wired Computer.

Go to your DSL Modem's Setting page and configure it

Remember you can't set your Computer for a Static IP Address. It must be done at the DSL Modem. Call up your ISProvider and get the Static IP Address that was assigned to you and the other information that is needed.

Once you can connect and Surf, add the D-Link Router in the equation.

http://192.168.0.1/Basic/WAN.shtml That's where you configure the Router for PPPoE connection.

Dufess

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »

It turns out that my ISP doesn't have everything right.  I couldn't even get my Static IP to work on a single PC by itself.  Something is wrong on their side.  I'll let you know how it comes out, AFTER my ISP gets it fixed.  Thanks for all the help!!

nut4wine

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 04:15:37 AM »

I have this configuration working at my site (Westell ADSL modem in bridged mode and a DIR-655 configured with PPOE and a static IP address).  I think you're right, it a problem at the ISP side, they must not recognize you have a static IP address.