• March 29, 2024, 05:34:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Creating VLAN Tunks...?  (Read 34760 times)

rvent

Creating VLAN Tunks...?
« on: September 02, 2008, 09:31:09 AM »

Hello,

I was reading the manual and found nothing that would help me get info about creating VLAN Tunks ports on this switch.

It is listed as a feature and found this post over at exchage-exprets, but it is not clear...
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Networking_Hardware/Wireless/Q_22612201.html

It mentions that i just need to enable gvrp on the port(s) i want to use a VLAN trunk ports.. Would that be correct...?

Could anyone provide some help on setting this up...? We just got 10 of this switches and need to get that working..

Thanks

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
Re: Creating VLAN Tunks...?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 01:28:38 PM »

I would not recommend using GVRP unless you are designing an environment for it.

In this situation I would simply tag the "trunk port" on every VLAN you are utilizing and hook it up.  If you already have VLANs on the switch to trunk then this should be something you already have a handle on, if not write back and we will go through it from a different angle.
non progredi est regredi

rvent

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 02:00:52 PM »

i should have been a bit more specific...

see link here http://www.dslreports.com/speak/slideshow/21027470?c=1344163&ret=L2ZvcnVtL3IyMTAyMjI2MS1WTEFOcw%3D%3D

The plan is to do whats on the picture, but since i have different VLANs i cant just tag that port, can i..? If i tag it wouldnt the port just see traffic from that specific VLAN...?

As you can see i have SW1: VLAN1, VLAN2, VLAN3 || SW2: VLAN1, VLAN2, VLAN3 and so on. How can i set up port 25 and 26 (Gbit ports) to send and receive traffic from different VLANs from switch to switch..?

Thanks

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 02:57:52 PM »

As I said, just tag um on every VLAN and away you go.

Or to answer your more direct question, a port an be an untagged member of only a single VLAN, however it can be an tagged member of an unlimited number of VLANs (well for the truly technical it can only be a tagged member of 4096 VLANs as that is how many possible VIDs there are.  Hardware may limit you to even less.)
non progredi est regredi

l8ians

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 05:41:07 PM »

Hi,
   I went through the network diagram.I would suggest you to enable trunking on all the switch ports which lead to the main switch also enable trunking on the port from router to the switch.
now enable routing using the router for all the vlans and it will do.

Regards,
l8ians

Adams

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 08:06:30 AM »

Hi

I have a question here

Is there any inter-vlan routing configuration that is needed to be done in the Blade Chassis Switch

BR/Adams