• March 28, 2024, 04:31:06 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Media Server Connection Issues After Movie Playback  (Read 36603 times)

tingram

Re: Media Server Connection Issues After Movie Playback
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 07:01:25 PM »

I am having the same timeout issues on both wired and wireless. It doesn't appear that there has been any resolution on this. I've tried with Twonky, TVersity and DLink Media Server. Any configuration settings I need to look at?

planecrazy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 07:14:33 PM »

I used to have the same problem with 510 and Twonky. Now with Twonky version 4.4.4, I have enabled "Disable UPnP Timeout Messages" under Advanced Setup --> Network configuration and the problem is fixed !! :)

jroseboom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 08:54:16 AM »

I believe it has something to do with WPA security.  Before I enabled it on the router & dsm, I don't ever remember having an issue with that problem.  Do you use WPA, WEP or nothing?

On mine, it seems to always lose the connection after the movie is over.  Also, if I stop a movie half way through, it loses connection.  If I only watch a few seconds of a movie, it seems to be ok. 

Can someone else verify this?  If so, maybe this can be fixed in a new f/w release.

fostina1

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 08:38:45 AM »

I believe it has something to do with WPA security.  Before I enabled it on the router & dsm, I don't ever remember having an issue with that problem.  Do you use WPA, WEP or nothing?

On mine, it seems to always lose the connection after the movie is over.  Also, if I stop a movie half way through, it loses connection.  If I only watch a few seconds of a movie, it seems to be ok. 

Can someone else verify this?  If so, maybe this can be fixed in a new f/w release.

exact same for me.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 12:56:32 PM »

You only see this issue with WPA enabled? WEP or none work with no problem?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

tjhacker

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 11:57:44 AM »

Any resolution on this so far?  I have exactly the same problem.  I tried with all different media types (movies, pictures, music...), and it happens with all.  I tried with all firmware versions, with same result.  Happens with Tversity and WMP11 both servers.

equallywrong

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 04:20:53 PM »

I personally think it is related to the Nero server. I purchased the full Nero Ultimate 7 edition and had the same problem. I ended up purchasing an Intel motherboard and rebuilt my computer around the motherboard. As part of the software included with the motherboard is the Intel Viiv server. Best media server software on the planet. Not once has it let me down. not once. It will transcode formats (if they need to be transcoded) and stream perfectly. Give it a try instead of the Nero software.

jroseboom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 12:08:05 PM »

May happen with NERO, but it definitely happens with WMP11.  I've got 4 of these machines and only one is running wirelessly.  It is the ONLY one to have this problem.  I have not tried this recently, but when I first got them I didn't have WPA security set up.  I don't remember having a problem at that time.  However WPA is now set up and this problem creeps up a lot.  If you start a movie then stop it shortly after it starts (minutes into it), then usually it will work and the list is not "greyed" out.  If a movie has been playing for a while or it runs to the end, you can be almost certain that it will lose connection at that point.

-Jack

P.S.  Another problem I've had since DAY 1.  Using WMP11 (doesn't happen with twonky) when the DSM plays for two hours into a movie the machine loses connection to the server.  I've gone back and forth with tech support a while ago - many messages - no resolution.  Movies ARE encoded correctly.  Example:  If a  movie is 3 hours long and you start it 30:00 into the movie, the dsm510 will disconnect from server at 2:30:00.   If you start a 2 hour movie, then pause it for 30 mins, DSM510 will disconnect from server at 1:30:00 into movie.

Again, does NOT happen using Twonky - only wmp 11 (which I must muse for it's rating ability).

jroseboom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 12:09:02 PM »

NOTE: in addition to above:   I've also got a DSM520 - This problem does NOT exist on this machine - only the DSM510.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 08:32:00 AM »

If you are seeing this issue in the middle of playback please check your PCs power management settings and if you are running any anti-virus software please try disabling it. If you are seeing this and you connected wirelessly and this happens it may be due to you wireless environment please check the location of the device and make sure all your antennas are positioned correctly (straight up if it is a single external antenna device) and check your wireless environment is the DSM-520 within line of sight with the router, and remove power to an 2.4 Ghz cordless phones. If you must go through wall make sure you do not go through any mirrors, fish tanks, or Appliances this will all stop or reflect the wireless signal.

If this is happening only after a movie is done playing this is usually seen with a wireless connection only and it is undetermined the cause it seems to have something to do with the way wireless works on this device we are still looking into the issue.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 08:33:55 AM by ECF »
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

AJ

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 12:00:51 PM »

Can anyone experiencing this problem please post what routers you are currently using, any encryption (if so what are the settings), does it happen with all video formats and videos played, and any other details that will help us address the issue further.

McIverLI

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 12:12:05 PM »

I also experienced this issue with the server graying out and needed to be refreshed via the menu. This happened not only with video files, but when playing albums from my music collection.  Since I removed McAfee Enterprise and switched to another virus scan program (Avast!), I have not seen this issue occur.

fostina1

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 12:16:10 PM »

after having the dsm-510 for a few months now, this problem isnt always there.  it seems its there after im forced to unplug the device after a lock up.  but after a week or 2 it works fine.

jroseboom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2008, 04:20:50 PM »

I do not use any firewall/virus protection software.  Never have, never will.  I am one of the few who believe if you set your system up right the chances of a virus go WAY down.  Also, none of the PC's power management functions are on. 

The router is NOT in line of sight to the DSM and should not have to be.  If I can get 80+% on the signal it shouldn't matter.  If the movie plays through and the server is disconnected at the END of the movie, why should it matter where the router is?  Now, if I was having random problems during playback etc, then yes I could see intereference as a problem, but the movie has to END or the movie has to be stopped for the disconnection to occur. 

-Jack

dnsowner

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 11:54:41 PM »

I had that problem as well. I had in my Network a Windows Vista Ultimate machine and a DNS-323 as a UPnP Server.
I could see both servers on the DSM-510 (WMP11 and DNS-323). I chose the WMP11 and played some Pictures, then i went BACK to the server list...and there was only the DNS-323!!!I couldn't see the WMP11 any more. So..the Network connection was there because i was able to see the DNS-323's UPnP Server, i could ping the DSM-510 from the Vista machine. But i couldn't see the Media library from the WMP11. So i think it is a Time Out form the WMP11 or from the Vista machine.
Only a reboot of DSM-510 helped me.

After some time i installed my Windows Vista one more time (first 'format c:'), i installed all the Vista updates, No Firewall (except the windows firewall), NO Antivirus Software. The first thing i did, after i installed Vista was to connect to the DSM-510 and check, if the problem still exists...and...guess what -> The problem wasn't there! I was able to browse the Pictures and the Videos, Music too...i was able to go BACK to the server list and switch to another server... it worked fine. So...i really don't think it's a problem with the DSM-510.

Greetings
Pages: 1 [2] 3