• March 28, 2024, 09:51:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: D-ViewCam Mobile App - Comments & Observations  (Read 36941 times)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
D-ViewCam Mobile App - Comments & Observations
« on: December 12, 2012, 09:54:55 AM »

D-Link released a D-ViewCam Mobile App for mobile Android and Apple devices.

Post your comments and observations here!  :)   :)   :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 09:56:54 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: D-ViewCam Mobile App - Comments & Observations
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 09:55:19 AM »

Please post your experiences with this software product here!
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

RooKiED

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 07:20:47 AM »

I tested the recently released D-ViewCam mobile android app. I'm glad they finally developed it; sorry to say it does not work properly though  :-\.

I wrote a review

Testbed
Server: Dviewcam DCS-100 v3.3 DP1.4.2, Win7 x64, 1x DCS-2130 (1280x720 res), 1x DCS-2230 (1920x1080 res), H264 video and G726 audio codecs configured.
Mobile device: Samsung Galaxy S, Android 2.3

It was released as version v1.1 but the truth is it looks like in alpha or beta stages.
- The live streams do not work (there is a little workaround to somehow see it partially works I explained below, but it's not permanent).
- The interface is really ugly, it certainly looks like a bad old port from another OS.
- There is no way to view the streams in true fullscreen: the buttons take up a lot of space and do not fade out (e.g. they could be hidden and shown by hitting the android "menu" button). Switching to landscape mode does not help, the displayed video size is small compared to the screen of the mobile device.
- There are no parameters to config nor a settings menu.
- Rotating the mobile phone and therefore switching from portrait to landscape mode or viceversa makes the feeds to unnecessarily reload when they shouldn't.
- You cannot choose which network connection (3G or WiFi) to use/allow.
- Languages: English-only.
- User preferences like which grid view type you want are not saved/remembered.
- Most of the features like grid view, sound, view saved recordings do not work.

It's getting nothing but negative or poor feedback in Google Play market, I guess they should put some real work into it ASAP.

Let's have a close look at the promised features:

• View your surveillance cameras’ live video
Not really working in grid view, appearing as "Disconnect" or "Format Error". Switching to single view still does not get you an image, but after hitting the "L/Q" quality button at least once you'll be able to get a live feed working, with no glitches nor delays but switch back to any kind of grid view or reload the app and you'll get the same "disconnect" or "format error" warning signs. So you can't get it working permanently

• Listen to audio picked up by your cameras
No sound here in any of the cameras. There's no way to switch it on/off so I guess this feature was never developed.

• Get a quick overview of what’s happening with a grid view of your cameras’ live video
Not getting anything in grid view, no picture at all, only the warning signs "Disconnect" or "Format Error". The last version release notes "H.264 codec Support (Mainstream, single channel)", so I guess it does not work in grid view.

• Use pan/tilt/zoom (PTZ) controls to adjust your view for supported cameras
The button is there, but I did not test it because I don't have PTZ or ePTZ configured. Pinch zooming works, but does not work as it is supposed to work in the android environment: the zooming gets limited to the original viewing window instead of opening up and little by little spreading the zoomed image finally covering the whole screen .

• Supports camera view preset points to quickly view specific camera angles
Not tested, do not have PTZ nor ePTZ configured.

• Take snapshots of live camera video and save them to your Camera Roll
Tested and working. However, you can't choose where to save them, you aren't told in which folder they're saved in and cannot edit the filename. I browsed and discovered they are saved in /root/Pictures/ folder

• View saved recordings from your cameras
Could not find a way to access the recordings. I don't think there is any as you are not asked to enter the Remote Playback service port when setting up the D-Viewcam server you want to access.

• Send DI/DO signals to trigger devices such as alarms or lights
The menu for this is there, and the DI/DO are shown right. It might work.

• View cameras from multiple servers
Just have one server, so can't say about this. I'll assume it works

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 05:33:17 PM by RooKiED »

zeilo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 02:49:01 AM »

DCS-100 is not supported by the D-View Cam mobile app.

RooKiED

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 07:56:53 AM »

DCS-100 is not supported by the D-View Cam mobile app.
This guy zeilo is, although disguised as a normal user, actually from mydlink support. And seems to me does not have the faintest idea what he's talking about. He gave me exactly the same :-* answer through email. I had pictured it at the time I wrote the review: they could use the software model as an excuse. But I decided to be as precise as I could be though in favor of development that's why I wrote DCS-100. He's talking about 'the' D-ViewCam software by D-Link not being supported by D-ViewCam mobile app. Clearly most of my review apply to any of the other officially (meaning just written on the last version release notes) supported D-Link software as well. Only very few things (if any) might differ from the review when connecting to a DCS-210.
I hope they'll appreciate the review (JavaLawyer did, thanks!), they'll improve the software, and simply write "DCS-100" on the supported list on the next release.

eight91121

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 04:08:06 PM »

I am running 3 DCS-5220 cameras with the exact same problem as RooKiED  thoroughly described.
I also have 1 DCS-920. The three don't show up on the multi-camera view, after fidgeting with the 3 5220's I can see them one at a time, but not on the 4-camera view. Although the 920 after going into the single view and then returning to the 4 camera view appears to keep the video stream, while the others say "Disconnect and or "Format Error".

A fix for this would be great.
Thanks!

tolonti

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 10:31:43 AM »

I can't connect to my D-ViewCam Server (v3.50 + DP v1.4.10) with this Mobile App (IOS v.1.2.0.1) it just gives me error: "Connection Error Can't connect to server"

Network services work just fine with Web browser so everything should be okay on server end.

Server settings on Mobile App:

Server Name: "server hostname"
Server Address: "server IP"
Live Streaming Port: 5150
Playback Port: 5160

Is there some tricks to this... Are these settings correct?

urlybird

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 06:56:49 AM »

I really like the scanning for local cameras (LAN) instead of having to go over the Internet (WAN).
Would be nice if Android App would remember addresses of local cams so they don't have to be rescanned everytime.

Currently it is still faster for me to connect via mydlink.com than scan for local cameras and connect.

rstark18

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 05:43:54 PM »

So according to the iOS App page only 3 cameras are supported (DCS-210, 220, 230)?? I tried anyway to use it with my 2332L and of course no luck :(

m_overink

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 06:46:54 AM »

I'm not too sure about anyone else, but the mobile app for iOS is constantly crashing...it will stay open for a maximum of about 1 minute and crash, most of the time, no more than 10 seconds.
Running DCS-100,
1x DCS-942L
2x DCS-932L
1x DCS-6113
2x DCS-5020L
The app seems to work a lot better for android app on my Blackberry Z10, it doesn't crash.
But I'd much rather be watching it on a 10" screen instead of a 4"!!
Please help!

Almost forgot to mention that I am trying to connect to a Dnr-322 network video recorder, not the d-viewcam software.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 07:17:59 AM by m_overink »

rstark18

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 07:09:12 AM »

I have completely stopped using dlink software. On iOS I am using JustConnect+ (free but no audio) and just recently discovered LiveCams Pro (paid with audio).
Both are fast and work extremely well.

ahv80

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 03:51:44 PM »

It is very sad to find that the application developed by D-Link does not work properly with your devices.
We must look to other manufacturers to solve this inconvenience.
IP Cam Viewer (v.5.1.4) is an excellent option.

jmolli

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 09:40:57 AM »

I can't connect to my D-ViewCam Server (v3.50 + DP v1.4.10) with this Mobile App (IOS v.1.2.0.1) it just gives me error: "Connection Error Can't connect to server"

Network services work just fine with Web browser so everything should be okay on server end.

Server settings on Mobile App:

Server Name: "server hostname"
Server Address: "server IP"
Live Streaming Port: 5150
Playback Port: 5160

Is there some tricks to this... Are these settings correct?

If you are trying to use the IOS mobile app outside of your home network (via 3G, LTE, ...), you must do the following:

Do you have ports 5150 and 5160 forwarded on your router? Are you using your Cable Modem IP address (or a DDNS) instead of the local IP address assigned by your router to the PC hosting your Dviewcam server software? Dlink provides a free DDNS service if you want to go that route.