• March 28, 2024, 04:46:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Terrible performance - A3  (Read 10779 times)

hakke

• Level 1 Member
Terrible performance - A3
« on: July 10, 2014, 06:15:02 AM »

I wish you could help me determine whether my router is broken or is there something I can do to get back the normal performance.

All my problems started a few months back when I discovered that the wireless performance sucked, big time. Having just one or two wireless clients the performance dropped down. While the signal was between 80-90% I could only get speed from 1 to 10Mbps. The longer the router was on, the lower the speed dropped.

I then updated to the newest firmware 1.37EU from 1.21 (if I recall correctly) but nothing changed. Now even the wired LAN computers started losing speed and I can only get 65Mbps down-speed and 1Mbps up speed from my 100/10 fiber optic connection. And yes, I've tried connecting a computer straight to the Ethernet and there's nothing wrong speed-wise. Booting d-link will give me normal speed for one day but then the speed drops down.

I've done several factory resets and re-installed software for a few times. Absolutely nothing changes, performance is just terrible. I've read the forum and tried every imaginable setup, no go. All my computers have latest network drivers and none of them have any problems when connected straight to WAN. I have no torrents or such running in any computer.

So my question really is, if the router is just broken after five years of use? When I bought the device it had 11 years warranty. The receipt is lost, of course. Now, will they replace the device based on serial number or such or do I have to buy a new one? I'd really appreciate Your input.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Terrible performance - A3
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 06:59:59 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What region are you located?
  • Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch?
FW Update Process

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
  • Is ISP Modem/Service using Dynamic or Static WAN IP addressing?
  • Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.
  • Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values

Are the speeds and connections good if you by pass the router and connect direct into the ISP Modem?

Router and Wired Configurations
Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router. Besure to log into the Admin account on the router.
  • Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options, Advanced/QoS
  • Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.
  • Enable or Disable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) and test under Setup/Internet/Manual. Disable may help with speed performance on higher speed ISP services.
  • Turn off DNS Relay  under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench and input new DNS addresses under Setup/Internet/Manual.
  • Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting and maintain consistency for applications that need to connect as well as mapped drives.
  • Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
  • Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall. Enable or Disable SPI to test.
  • Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules.
  • Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.
  • WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed
  • Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP Server feature. The DST setting is only needed in the NA region. Tools/Time.

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy
  • Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Can be anything and not something that's already in use by any neighboring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
  • What wireless modes are you using?
  • 2.4Ghz Routers only: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N?
  • Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
  • Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear. 13 for EU regions.
  • What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
  • What wireless devices do you have connected?
  • Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?
  • If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, Extra Wireless Protection and HT 20/40 Co-existence if you have it. Also testing with HT20/40Mhz Co-existence enabled will impact results as well. I prefer to use this option OFF. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
3-6' feet minimum safe distance between devices.
Placement on main level floor and central in the building and WELL ventilated is preferred. Not in basements or closets as building materials, or near by electronics devices could interfere or hinder good signal propagation.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

hakke

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 07:05:45 AM »

Thanks for Your reply. Tried everything above +n. Absolutely nothing works.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 07:45:13 AM »

Please fill in answers to the questions presented so we can get a better idea of your system so we can better provide feed back and suggestions.

Thanks for Your reply. Tried everything above +n. Absolutely nothing works.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

hakke

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 08:28:21 AM »

Link>Welcome!

What region are you located? Finland
Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch? Yes
FW Update Process

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have? No modem
Is ISP Modem/Service using Dynamic or Static WAN IP addressing? Dynamic
Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.
Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values MTU 1500 as required by operator

Are the speeds and connections good if you by pass the router and connect direct into the ISP Modem? No problems when not using d-link

Router and Wired Configurations
Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router. Besure to log into the Admin account on the router.
Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options, Advanced/QoS -Done, no help
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP. -Done, no help
Enable or Disable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) and test under Setup/Internet/Manual. Disable may help with speed performance on higher speed ISP services. -Done, no help
Turn off DNS Relay  under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench and input new DNS addresses under Setup/Internet/Manual. -Done, no help
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting and maintain consistency for applications that need to connect as well as mapped drives. -Done, no help
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address. -Done, no help
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall. Enable or Disable SPI to test. -Done, no help
Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules. -Done, no help
Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced. -Done, no help
WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed
Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP Server feature. The DST setting is only needed in the NA region. Tools/Time. -Done, no help

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy
Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Can be anything and not something that's already in use by any neighboring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
What wireless modes are you using?
2.4Ghz Routers only: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N? -Done, no help
Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only. -Done, no help
Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear. 13 for EU regions. -Done, no help
What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES. -Done, no help
What wireless devices do you have connected? Only using them one at a time because of problems, tablet, smartphone etc.
Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by? Yes
Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many? 2, channel set as far away as possible
If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, Extra Wireless Protection and HT 20/40 Co-existence if you have it. Also testing with HT20/40Mhz Co-existence enabled will impact results as well. I prefer to use this option OFF. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
3-6' feet minimum safe distance between devices.
Placement on main level floor and central in the building and WELL ventilated is preferred. Not in basements or closets as building materials, or near by electronics devices could interfere or hinder good signal propagation.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 08:42:27 AM »

Ok thanks for the feed back. We have seen some issues with these older Rev A models not working well on higher ISP speeds such as 100Mb and higher. Seems like you have done your troubleshooting work and nothing we've presented has helped.

I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding this. Specifically ask them if this problem can't be resolved with this current router, what model router they recommend for use with a ISP speed 100Mb and higher.

We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email.
Let us know how it goes please.

hakke

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 08:45:19 AM »

I'll do just that, ty.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 07:56:03 AM »

Any status on this?

I wish you could help me determine whether my router is broken or is there something I can do to get back the normal performance.

All my problems started a few months back when I discovered that the wireless performance sucked, big time. Having just one or two wireless clients the performance dropped down. While the signal was between 80-90% I could only get speed from 1 to 10Mbps. The longer the router was on, the lower the speed dropped.

I then updated to the newest firmware 1.37EU from 1.21 (if I recall correctly) but nothing changed. Now even the wired LAN computers started losing speed and I can only get 65Mbps down-speed and 1Mbps up speed from my 100/10 fiber optic connection. And yes, I've tried connecting a computer straight to the Ethernet and there's nothing wrong speed-wise. Booting d-link will give me normal speed for one day but then the speed drops down.

I've done several factory resets and re-installed software for a few times. Absolutely nothing changes, performance is just terrible. I've read the forum and tried every imaginable setup, no go. All my computers have latest network drivers and none of them have any problems when connected straight to WAN. I have no torrents or such running in any computer.

So my question really is, if the router is just broken after five years of use? When I bought the device it had 11 years warranty. The receipt is lost, of course. Now, will they replace the device based on serial number or such or do I have to buy a new one? I'd really appreciate Your input.

hakke

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 08:23:24 AM »

Any status on this?

An update, as promised earlier.

Against your advice I e-mailed d-link support and to my surprise they answered the next day. They immediately determined that the problems are caused by faulty hardware. Recieved RMA and sent the router to them. Today I was delivered a new device which is now up and running. Thumbs up, that's how you do it!

ps. If you at D-Link do read this forum, a little bit advice. The finnish language you use in your e-mails is, well, not as bad as google translate makes but pretty terrible. As I believe you are interested in your corporate image you should consider a little improvement in this area.

All in all, one happy customer here.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Terrible performance - A3 (RESOLVED)
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 09:23:31 AM »

Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for sharing and the feed back.

Enjoy.  ;)

hakke

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 04:20:02 AM »

What a terrible disappointment the new device is. Got a used B1 model and this just won't work like it's supposed to. Random boots several times a day, wireless not working at all if downloading a single torrent via wired connection (50 connections in torrent!!!), wireless performance is a joke...

I get that I was sent a refurbished device but why in heavens name do I get a device that's not working properly. Propably someone elses nonworking RMA device without proper testing done and now I'm the new happy (not) owner.

Well, guess it's bye bye D-Link - welcome Asus.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 07:03:19 AM »

I would presume that since you didn't provide any more details, that this could be a environment or configuration issue rather than a HW issue. I have a B1 and it works great. IP presume that there are other factors that are contributing to your router experiences since an Rev A and Rev B both exhibit similar issues. You did mention that you got it on the 24th of last month and now nearly a month later it's not working?  ???

Good Luck.  ;)

What a terrible disappointment the new device is. Got a used B1 model and this just won't work like it's supposed to. Random boots several times a day, wireless not working at all if downloading a single torrent via wired connection (50 connections in torrent!!!), wireless performance is a joke...

I get that I was sent a refurbished device but why in heavens name do I get a device that's not working properly. Propably someone elses nonworking RMA device without proper testing done and now I'm the new happy (not) owner.

Well, guess it's bye bye D-Link - welcome Asus.

hakke

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 07:42:24 AM »

I would presume that since you didn't provide any more details, that this could be a environment or configuration issue rather than a HW issue. I have a B1 and it works great. IP presume that there are other factors that are contributing to your router experiences since an Rev A and Rev B both exhibit similar issues. You did mention that you got it on the 24th of last month and now nearly a month later it's not working?  ???

Good Luck.  ;)

Ever heard of a thing called holiday? To me it means that me and my family have spent our time in our own little island. So the router has been sitting at our home all alone without power.

I'm very happy that Your router is working just fine. It must mean that mine is functioning well and I just don't know how to use it. C'mon, I do know a thing or two about these things.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 07:47:45 AM »

Well, if you care to give some more details and let us try to help you out, maybe we can figure out if the router is the problem or not.  ::)

hakke

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 02:38:44 AM »

Well, if you care to give some more details and let us try to help you out, maybe we can figure out if the router is the problem or not.  ::)
Thanks but no need for that, picked up a new asus router yesterday and it just works. The amazing thing is it's on factory defaults, so no need to make any extra configurations.

Here's a few things about the problems with the new (now retired) D-Link:

- Thought my amp (Yamaha RX-V673) was breaking up since the airplay no longer worked. Turned out that the blame was on DIR-655.

- I have two headless windows servers, one for media and the other for backups. I'm using teaviewer to control them but was unable to do that since the wifi network wouldn't stay up long enough.

- Wireless link speed was 150Mbps according to the router itself and windows statistics. But I was only getting ~50Mbps speed on LAN and WAN.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to make D-Link look bad. I have used the A3 version for five years and was very happy about it. No need to worry about the device, performance and reliability were second to none, until it broke after many years of loyal service.

So I was able to configure the old device in a way that it just worked, not the case with the new one. I'm done fighting and just want everything to work out-of-the-box. Not an unreasonable demand in my mind.

Thanks for Your help.

And to D-Link people if you happen to be reading this thread. Thanks for the effort but all in all I have a little s***ty taste in my mouth after getting a faulty device from the RMA.
Pages: [1] 2