• April 18, 2024, 04:02:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Video streaming to DL cloud  (Read 4373 times)

gonza

• Level 1 Member
Video streaming to DL cloud
« on: August 06, 2013, 10:38:47 PM »

Hello

I just bought 2 of 933L, I really think they are awesome.  But reading the forum I found this post of 2011 and I am VERY concerned. I hope this is no longer true.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=42165.0

Can you please confirm if a video stream is constantly sent to D-LINK, even if you are not accessing the camera from the mydlink Cloud.   (Or worse yet, even if you have not registered your camera at all with mydlink)

I can understand that some kind of keepalive or signalling is necessary to maintain the connection to the mydlink cloud (so that it knows the IP address of the camera, etc).
But the constant streaming of video to D-Link is completely unacceptable.   Video streaming must start ONLY when the user logs into his account and selects to view a camera.  If the camera is not being accessed by the user, video MUST NOT be transmitted.

Can you please confirm how it works.

Thank you very much.

Gonza

Doctor Doom

• Level 3 Member
Re: Video streaming to DL cloud
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 07:03:43 AM »

Hi there,

All mydlink cameras will send a keep alive/heartbeat in order to provide the online/offline status of the camera to the respective mydlink account. As for the video stream sent all the time, no. This would be a huge bandwidth/cost issue especially with the amount of cameras globally.

The stream will only be sent if you are logged in locally or remotely via the web GUI, mydlink or surveillance software after a successful authentication.

Another telltale sign is that the LED will be blinking during streaming.

gonza

• Level 1 Member
Re: Video streaming to DL cloud
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 09:00:02 AM »

Thank you very much for your reply.

Makes perfect sense. It's obvious that a keep-alive / heartbeat signalling is necessary to maintain connection with the cloud services.
I was concerned by that thread , which implied that video is constantly broadcast and nobody from d-link said otherwise.  This makes no sense, as you say, not only from a security standpoint but also for the wasted bandwidth.

I had not noticed the led blinking while streaming, thank you.

Still it would be nice to have an option to disable the signalling to the cloud for those of us who prefer to access the camera directly.   But IMO that's a "nice to have", not an absolute necessity.

Thanks again
Gonza