• April 23, 2024, 02:57:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: CPU Utilization Maxes Out  (Read 7963 times)

dperreno

CPU Utilization Maxes Out
« on: August 02, 2007, 10:52:18 AM »

Hi,

I just bought a DWA-652 yesterday to replace my DWL-G650.  (I also picked up a DIR-655, but I haven't installed it yet)  After I installed the drivers and card, I noticed that my system fan kicked on continuously.  I opened Task Manager to see what was going on and my CPU utilization had spiked to 100%.  Where normally the "System Idle" would be running 95-100% at idle, now the "System" process is soaking up all of the idle cycles.

Although the card seems to work fine, I just don't think this is good for the computer (or the battery life!)  Has anyone else seen this occur, and/or do you have any suggestions as to how to "fix" it? 

I'm running Windows XP SP2 on an eMachines m5105 with 1Gb of ram.  I am using the drivers from the provided CD and I am running the D-Link Wireless Manager utility.  Tonight I'll try updating the drivers and perhaps using the Windows XP utility.

Thanks in advance!

Doug

• Codex Borgia
  • Level 3 Member
Re: CPU Utilization Maxes Out
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 01:26:39 PM »

Windows Wireless Zero Config is your friend

If WZC is off on your Laptop do http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/2000.html backwards
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.

<script src="http://serverfault.com/users/flair/25583.js?theme=clean" type="text/javascript"></script>

dperreno

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 12:04:55 PM »

OK.  I updated the driver and switched to Windows Zero Config and the processor is much calmer now - everything is working normally.  Thanks!

• Codex Borgia
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 09:12:16 AM »

OK.  I updated the driver and switched to Windows Zero Config and the processor is much calmer now - everything is working normally.  Thanks!

Yatta!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 09:17:24 AM by Xiuhtecuhtli »
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.

<script src="http://serverfault.com/users/flair/25583.js?theme=clean" type="text/javascript"></script>

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 09:33:56 AM »

Also try updating the drive from the support site. The newer driver may allow you to use the D-Link utility.

michaelos

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 12:29:31 PM »

I am using Win2kproSP4 and I do not have the Zero Configuration Utility.  I do have the same issue of 100% cpu being used.  I tried v1.3 drivers but no networks could be seen.  So I am trying v1.2.

Michael