• March 28, 2024, 02:14:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-880l: So many problems!  (Read 3832 times)

wist

• Level 1 Member
DIR-880l: So many problems!
« on: November 28, 2018, 12:49:34 AM »

Hi Experts,

I have been using this router for about a year now with high expectations but sadly, everything I try to achieve with it gives me headaches.
FW: 1.07.B08
Region: EU
ISP: T-Mobile, cable connection directly to 880L

Here are my struggles, if you are able to address any of these, I'd be much obliged:

1. Wake on LAN: After some digging, I was able to set it up but to my disappointment it wasn't what I was used to. With my older D-Link router I was able to input my PCs MAC address and wake the computer anywhere anytime even if it was completely turned off. When I switched to 880l, there's no menu or box for MAC addresses related to WOL, I can only input IP address and only wake the computer when it's asleep/hibernating. Any suggestions?

2. PC turns on randomly: Quite regularly when I put the PC to hibernate, after couple seconds it randomly turns back on and it will keep turning back on unless I shut it down completely. Sometimes it's turned off for a day and suddenly turns on for some reason. I suspect this is caused by the Wake On LAN functionality, possibly the router is acting weird and sending the packets to the network? I am not using any other device and I am the only person who has access to it and it just randomly turns on. It's super annoying. What may be causing this?

3. Not able to wake the PC: Not that not being able to turn the PC on from power off state is enough. Sometimes (or even like 40% of the time) the computer is hibernating, and I'm not able to remotely wake it up. I use Teamviewer and normally I just press a button to wake it up. A lot of times it simply doesn't work and then it does and then it doesn't. Whyyy?

4. USB Drive slow: This technological marvel of a router also has capability to connect a USB drive. That's pretty cool, but why is it so slow? It's a USB 3.0 but copying files to and from is very sad. Also when I want to play a 4K movie from the USB drive via router to TV it lags. When I play the movie from USB drive via router to PC it doesn't lag, also when I connect the USB drive directly to the TV it doesn't lag. Why is that? Drive is only USB 2.0 and this is all via cable. Wifi streaming also lags.

5. Slow Download/Upload:
My connection is 100/100Mbps. When I download or upload files the speed is as it should be (thank god) BUT when I want to download something remotely from the above mentioned USB drive connected to the router it is very slow again. Even if the drive is only USB 2.0, I should be getting at least 5 megabytes per sec easy when my upload is that big and download on the receiving device is good too. Is there a fix?

6. The router restarts randomly: I do have a daily restart set up, but this is during the night. For some reason sometimes multiple times a day the router restarts? The network stops working on every device, I cannot connect to the router and after minute or two everything is as it was before. This was happening also before the daily restart was set up. ***?

7. Unable to connect to router: And finally, also quite often when I try to connect to the good old 192.168.0.1, it just gives me a time out page but the network runs just fine and I'm also getting a nice ping from the IP. I try multiple browsers, I try multiple devices. It just won't load the login page for the router. Not even MyDlink can connect. Even now as I'm writing this appraisal and next day it works just fine. Please help.

I hope you enjoyed this read as I did and hope you have some answers.

Thankssss

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR-880l: So many problems!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 06:51:29 AM »

I have been using this router for about a year now with high expectations but sadly, everything I try to achieve with it gives me headaches.
Your behind on FW versions:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=73661.0

No modem between the ISP and the router?

Here are my struggles, if you are able to address any of these, I'd be much obliged:

1. Wake on LAN: After some digging, I was able to set it up but to my disappointment it wasn't what I was used to. With my older D-Link router I was able to input my PCs MAC address and wake the computer anywhere anytime even if it was completely turned off. When I switched to 880l, there's no menu or box for MAC addresses related to WOL, I can only input IP address and only wake the computer when it's asleep/hibernating. Any suggestions?
I don't think WoL is supported on newer D-Link generation routers.

2. PC turns on randomly: Quite regularly when I put the PC to hibernate, after couple seconds it randomly turns back on and it will keep turning back on unless I shut it down completely. Sometimes it's turned off for a day and suddenly turns on for some reason. I suspect this is caused by the Wake On LAN functionality, possibly the router is acting weird and sending the packets to the network? I am not using any other device and I am the only person who has access to it and it just randomly turns on. It's super annoying. What may be causing this?
Try disabling any power management features on the PCs network adapter card. I had a PC doing this until I disabled the power management features for the adapter. PC no longer wakes randomly.

3. Not able to wake the PC: Not that not being able to turn the PC on from power off state is enough. Sometimes (or even like 40% of the time) the computer is hibernating, and I'm not able to remotely wake it up. I use Teamviewer and normally I just press a button to wake it up. A lot of times it simply doesn't work and then it does and then it doesn't. Whyyy?
You'll need to refer to the PCs MFr or MS for help and information regarding this.

4. USB Drive slow: This technological marvel of a router also has capability to connect a USB drive. That's pretty cool, but why is it so slow? It's a USB 3.0 but copying files to and from is very sad. Also when I want to play a 4K movie from the USB drive via router to TV it lags. When I play the movie from USB drive via router to PC it doesn't lag, also when I connect the USB drive directly to the TV it doesn't lag. Why is that? Drive is only USB 2.0 and this is all via cable. Wifi streaming also lags.
The USB port on the 880L is USB 2.0 and thats it. Streaming 4K via USB anything is not recommended. 4K needs minimum 1Gb LAN wired connections. 4K uncompressed needs 10Gb LAN. I recommend you stream via wired LAN cable connection. This would mean probably getting into wired storage. USB is good for data documents, picture files and mp3s and such. Larger media files like MP4 and such require more bandwidth than USB can provide. Wired is the way to go for this.

5. Slow Download/Upload:[/b] My connection is 100/100Mbps. When I download or upload files the speed is as it should be (thank god) BUT when I want to download something remotely from the above mentioned USB drive connected to the router it is very slow again. Even if the drive is only USB 2.0, I should be getting at least 5 megabytes per sec easy when my upload is that big and download on the receiving device is good too. Is there a fix?
You might try a FW upgrade and do a factory reset and setup from scratch. Be sure to not enable any QOS and run some testing.
Again the USB port is only 2.0 so speeds here will not be great.

Link> >FW Update Process
6. The router restarts randomly: I do have a daily restart set up, but this is during the night. For some reason sometimes multiple times a day the router restarts? The network stops working on every device, I cannot connect to the router and after minute or two everything is as it was before. This was happening also before the daily restart was set up. ***?
Is Smart Connect enabled?
  • Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by that maybe causing interferences?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area that maybe causing interferences? Link> Use a WiFi Scanner to find out. How many?

7. Unable to connect to router: And finally, also quite often when I try to connect to the good old 192.168.0.1, it just gives me a time out page but the network runs just fine and I'm also getting a nice ping from the IP. I try multiple browsers, I try multiple devices. It just won't load the login page for the router. Not even MyDlink can connect. Even now as I'm writing this appraisal and next day it works just fine. Please help.
Try this again after a FW upgrade.

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

wist

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 12:26:38 PM »

Thanks so much for your inputs!!!!!! below are my responses. I might update on my further findings later

Your behind on FW versions:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=73661.0
done

No modem between the ISP and the router?
Nope, the WAN cable goes directly to the router, it's common over here

I don't think WoL is supported on newer D-Link generation routers.
well that's very disappointing, I use it quite a lot

Try disabling any power management features on the PCs network adapter card. I had a PC doing this until I disabled the power management features for the adapter. PC no longer wakes randomly.
I've found this tick in the adapter setting, now we shall see if it does (not do) the magic

You'll need to refer to the PCs MFr or MS for help and information regarding this.
hmm, but with the old router never had this issue

The USB port on the 880L is USB 2.0 and thats it. Streaming 4K via USB anything is not recommended. 4K needs minimum 1Gb LAN wired connections. 4K uncompressed needs 10Gb LAN. I recommend you stream via wired LAN cable connection. This would mean probably getting into wired storage. USB is good for data documents, picture files and mp3s and such. Larger media files like MP4 and such require more bandwidth than USB can provide. Wired is the way to go for this.
Would you have some links on how to stream via LAN cable please? I'm interested. Google shows a lot but maybe you can recommend something

5. Slow Download/Upload:[/b] My connection is 100/100Mbps. When I download or upload files the speed is as it should be (thank god) BUT when I want to download something remotely from the above mentioned USB drive connected to the router it is very slow again. Even if the drive is only USB 2.0, I should be getting at least 5 megabytes per sec easy when my upload is that big and download on the receiving device is good too. Is there a fix?
You might try a FW upgrade and do a factory reset and setup from scratch. Be sure to not enable any QOS and run some testing.
Again the USB port is only 2.0 so speeds here will not be great.

no QoSs, but I upgraded FW so will give it a shot

Link> >FW Update Process
  • Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by that maybe causing interferences?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area that maybe causing interferences? Link> Use a WiFi Scanner to find out. How many?
Smart connect is disabled and also is 5ghz wifi - I didn't really notice any difference even felt devices had issue switching between them when I got too far. Not sure about the phones, there's a lot of apartments in the building, I scanned 10 other wifi's and 1 is 5ghz

Try this again after a FW upgrade.
When I did the first part of the update I wasn't able to connect right after it but after second part so far so good but we shall see

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 12:45:18 PM »

Would you have some links on how to stream via LAN cable please? I'm interested. Google shows a lot but maybe you can recommend something
Streaming via LAN cable means that your source files are located either on a PC or a Network Access Storage(NAS) which is shared out and then you would point your streaming device to these shared locations. The PC or NAS would be connected to the router via LAN cable. Some streamers also support LAN cable connections.

Link> >FW Update Process
Smart connect is disabled and also is 5ghz wifi - I didn't really notice any difference even felt devices had issue switching between them when I got too far. Not sure about the phones, there's a lot of apartments in the building, I scanned 10 other wifi's and 1 is 5ghz
You should enable 5Ghz and be using the 5Ghz for faster performances and connections. Streaming some media is preferred over 5Ghz.

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.