• April 16, 2024, 03:09:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How long it could take to create RAID 5  (Read 3298 times)

Lapa

• Level 1 Member
How long it could take to create RAID 5
« on: January 05, 2010, 11:49:10 PM »

Hello people.

I've got new DNS-343 FW 1.03
4 x 1.5 TB drives

Initialization process had been performed smoothly.
8 hours ago formatting began and still there is unchanged statement on the LED: "Formatting Volume_1 ... 1%"

Is it ok ?

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
Re: How long it could take to create RAID 5
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 12:23:15 PM »

Something is up ... you should have seen the % increment.  Did you confirm the HDD models you purchased are/were compatible with the DNS?

HTH,

Lapa

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 05:27:33 PM »

Something is up ... you should have seen the % increment.  Did you confirm the HDD models you purchased are/were compatible with the DNS?

HTH,

WD Caviar Green 1.5 TB SATA Hard Drives

I believe my WD drives are compatible. At least I managed to create JBOD before RAID 5. I waited for JBOD creation for a couple of hours. BTW I saw the same "Formatting Volume_1 ... 1%" without any increment when JBOD was building.

At this point about 26 hours had passed since I started RAID 5 creation.

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 01:20:08 PM »

May as well restart the unit.  I suspect you may need to remove all of the partitions from each HDD via a computer as there isn't a partition removal utility in the DNS.

I suggest resetting the unit to defaults (factory); afterwards disable all HDD related power management (sleep) functions and trying to reformat the HDD's in RAID5 once again.

HTH,