• April 19, 2024, 11:12:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: No Server Found (but used to work)  (Read 5579 times)

shedmeister

• Level 1 Member
No Server Found (but used to work)
« on: March 20, 2009, 07:49:32 PM »

I bought a new Linksys wired router and suddenly I get "No Server Found".  It worked fine with my old Linksys wired router (until it died).  Apparently the new one has tighter security.  Linksys tech support told me how to forward ports, but said I have to find out what ports need to be forwarded.  I can't find this information anywhere for the DSM-520.  So,
 1) What port(s) do I forward?
 2) Do I forward them to the DSM-520, or to the Media Server PC (they both have static IP's)
 3) TCP or UDP mode?

Thanks

fccgrant

• Level 2 Member
Re: No Server Found (but used to work)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 10:39:33 AM »

I think the port configuration is in the software manual for the D-Link Media Server.  Ferreting around D-Links FAQ I have found that ports 1900 and 5643 need to be open.  (I thought there were 3...I'll double check that if you can't get it working.) 

I think they need to be open to both the PC and the media player as the 2 work together to get the content to the media player but am not certain.  Both TCP and UDP need to be permitted.   I would try just opening the ports to the media player only first before opening the ports to the PC.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 10:42:44 AM »

If you are referring to the routers firewall there are no ports need to be open for local network communication as the router firewall permits communication with the traffic beyond you local network (the Internets).

If you are running anti-virus or personal firewall software on your PC the ports used are 1900 and 5643 UDP and TCP.

Are you able to use Windows Media Player 11 as the media server?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

shedmeister

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 10:23:13 AM »

Here's more details I've collected on the problem:
 * When I try to share content in WMP11, it can't see the DSM-520.
 * If I disconnect my AT&T DSL modem from my router and reboot the router, everything works.  The DSM-520 sees media servers, WMP11 sees the DSM-520.  Reconnect the modem to the WAN side of the router, it all stops working.

And here's the solution (I found on a Linksys forum):
 * "...in the [router's] security tab, enable multicast filtering..."

I guess most routers have this enabled by default, even earlier versions of the same Linksys model (BEFSR41).