• April 26, 2024, 08:34:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: why does my wireless restarts & Internet connection drop?  (Read 8979 times)

cpucrash0

• Level 1 Member
why does my wireless restarts & Internet connection drop?
« on: May 25, 2009, 10:20:53 AM »

I just bought a dir 855 last month from newegg and I am having problems with this router. I get random wireless 2.4 ghz restarts and my internet drops even though my computer is wired and I have no computers using the wireless except the tivo and the directv DVR and also the Ps3 which are using the wireless. I have 2 computers which are wired and my xbox 360. any ways everytime the wireless restarts it gets me offline and I plugged in the cable modem directly to the computer and it works perfectly and I can't get an RMA number from dlink because they always want me to go thru their steps everytime I call and then they want me to call back later. I got transfered today to a different deparment and I waited for 1 hour and 40  min and they never answered. Is there something I can do so the wireless doesn't restart and my internet connection doesn't drop? Any tips? Any new firmware comming out soon because I have the 1.20 and it doesn't work since it's droping my connection.  I hope there is a new firmware or is it possible to downgrade the firmware? I need to fix this. I emailed newegg see if they can let me return it to them even though it's a little over the 30 day return period and exchange it.  Oh and I have also switched the wifi 2.4 ghz channel and it doesn't work still..
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 10:23:17 AM by cpucrash0 »

MrC

Re: why does my wireless restarts & Internet connection drop?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 07:25:07 PM »

The support at D-Link is pretty poor in my experience, as you may have discovered in reading the forum posts.  But this is not uncommon with support for most consumer products.  With wireless devices, support is difficult as there as so many factors involved.

By "restarts", do you actually see "restart" log messages, or do you mean your system loses the association, and then a new association/connection must be established?

Others are having similar issues as you experience.  For those whose devices are actually rebooting, they seem to currently think overheating may be a factor.

I've experienced numerous dropped connections w/firmware prior to 1.20.  I haven't formed any conclusions about the 1.20 firmware yet.  As a comparison, our previous router (Belkin Pre-N) had fewer dropped connections, but there were some.

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 07:17:57 AM »

I too have experienced "bad" Internet connections with several DIR routers.  In general, the router seem to experience a complete "reset" initiated by the wireless signals, usually on the 2.4Ghz radio band.

The only recommendation in order to attempt to fix this "reset" problems:

-- Run latest firmware for the router model / hardware version (not a Beta version)
-- Set the 2.4Ghz network channel to 1 or 11.  The default channel 6 is used by "all" router as their default channel, which people normally never change.  (Test other channels is necessary.)
-- Lock the WAN port "cable" speed.  Several other posters have "fixed" their Internet access by setting the port to a speed other than Auto 10/100.

Also, check the antivirus / firewall software.  I experienced  Norton 360 / Internet Security causing excessive "deauthentications" on my routers.  This seems to trigger the resets.

paragonaz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 09:39:04 PM »

I was having similar issues with my router.  I ran Network Stumbler and noticed the drops in the graphic representation of my SNR.  I have neighbors on networks on ch 1 , 8 and 11 so I changed my channel to 3 and now all it working fine..

Mackerel

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 10:10:14 PM »

A nifty, and free (!) tool is INSSIDER (link here), which shows you the activity in both 2.4 and 5 GHz in your neighbourhood. This way you can see which channels are still not to heavily used around you.

Just load on a Wireless-n capable machine (disconnect for improved scan-results) and away you go...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 10:12:04 PM by Mackerel »