• March 28, 2024, 10:53:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Other uses for this camera?  (Read 4600 times)

sark666

• Level 1 Member
Other uses for this camera?
« on: March 24, 2013, 10:42:57 AM »

I have bought this camera not for baby monitoring or security issues, but rather I have an intruder (rat, squirrel. Don't know to be determined).  So I'm going to use this camera to see what's going on but then after that, it doesn't really have a use for me.

I bought it at futureshop which has the 30 day return policy, but I actually really like this camera and think it's a great value for what it costs, so I'm trying to talk myself out of returning it before the 30 days.

So are there other things you can use this camera for?  I currently don't have a camera for video conferencing, can it somehow be used for that?  I doubt it because I wouldn't think most mainstream software (skype et al) would search for a network camera.  I use voip (sip standard) for audio, it would be nice if some sip application could use this.

And if I wanted to record something where there wasn't a network, can I go into the gui, schedule the camera to record at this time, and then while it's offline (e.g. not on a network) would it still do as scheduled and record video or would it give some error that it's offline?

Anyway, as I said, the geek in my is trying to think of excuses to keep this camera and wanted to know if there are other ideas besides the obvious security, baby monitoring.

sark666

• Level 1 Member
Re: Other uses for this camera?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 06:31:29 PM »

Sigh, believe it or not, I don't want to do that at all, not only because I think it's wrong, I really like the device, I thought I had said that.   And I do need it for surveillance, albeit for a very short-term.  And in the end I'll probably put in on kijiji or something for 100 bucks, but it's a shame to do that for a few days/week tops usage.  So I was simply asking for alternative usages.

I've read a bit about some models being able to link into an asterisk server or something, I was just curious if any voip videochat software let you use an ip camera or maybe some other usage I haven't considered.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 06:48:41 PM »

Sigh, believe it or not, I don't want to do that at all, not only because I think it's wrong, I really like the device, I thought I had said that.   And I do need it for surveillance, albeit for a very short-term.  And in the end I'll probably put in on kijiji or something for 100 bucks, but it's a shame to do that for a few days/week tops usage.  So I was simply asking for alternative usages.

I've read a bit about some models being able to link into an asterisk server or something, I was just curious if any voip videochat software let you use an ip camera or maybe some other usage I haven't considered.

You must be retired and live in a very remote area to not have any concerns.

You probably leave your doors unlocked at night too.

I miss those days.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 10:41:27 PM »

Why not just keep it to use for security, to watch your property? You really don't know the value of the camera until you say you wish you had it. Example would be you experience a break in.

http://techtips.salon.com/convert-ip-camera-virtual-webcam-2330.html

The original poster must not be armed at any level.

Any competent "pest control service" would have identified and filled entry/exit points with foam stuff, preventing rascals from causing interior damage.

skeletor

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 08:20:02 PM »

Well, the night vision is pretty good.  Maybe you could use it for...... ummmmm  ... "home videos" ?
haha