• April 27, 2024, 08:02:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Random Lockup! Power cycle only thing that brings it back. 1.32na  (Read 28816 times)

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
Re: Random Lockup! Power cycle only thing that brings it back. 1.32na
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2009, 09:50:23 PM »

While turning off DNS relay, also manually enter your DNS numbers individually into the router.  My computers connection would show really odd DNS entries and also slow down.  Assigning the DNS numbers in the router has fixed that problem.

Assigning them where in the router?
Setup-->Network Settings-->DHCP Server Settings ?
Setup-->Wan Manual setup-->Dynamic IP (DHCP) Internet Connection Type?

I have done both and still have DNS Relay enabled and have not had any lockups, life is good.

KevTech

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2009, 09:48:30 AM »

While turning off DNS relay, also manually enter your DNS numbers individually into the router.  My computers connection would show really odd DNS entries and also slow down.  Assigning the DNS numbers in the router has fixed that problem.

When I had DNS relay turned off (firmware 1.21) I did not do this but the router just used my ISP's defaults so I am not sure why you would need to. What you do need to do is reboot the computer or disable then re-enable the network connection or you will have no connection at all.

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2009, 01:57:22 AM »

When I had DNS relay turned off (firmware 1.21) I did not do this but the router just used my ISP's defaults so I am not sure why you would need to. What you do need to do is reboot the computer or disable then re-enable the network connection or you will have no connection at all.
I believe a reboot flushes the DNS cache.

ruski

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2009, 04:25:00 AM »

Assigning them where in the router?
Setup-->Network Settings-->DHCP Server Settings ?
Setup-->Wan Manual setup-->Dynamic IP (DHCP) Internet Connection Type?

I have done both and still have DNS Relay enabled and have not had any lockups, life is good.

This is where I meant:

Setup-->Internet-->Manual Internet Connection Setup-->Primary DNS Server and Ssecondary DNS Server

Put in your ISP's DNS server information there.  If you don't know how to find your ISP's DNS information the easiest way is to disable DNS relay, restart your router, restart your computer (or ipconfig /renew), then on your computer go START->RUN->type in   CMD   ->then enter ipconfig /all.

There will be two listed DNS servers there under your wireless or LAN connection.  (Whichever you are connected to.)  Put the first one into the Primary box on the router, and put the second one in the secondary box on the router.

Just disabling DNS relay worked for me, but after a week the connection slowed down quite a bit.  After looking around I found I had nearly 20 DNS numbers, nearly all of which were invalid.  Doing this little step cleaned that all up and kept it from happening again.

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2009, 05:34:40 AM »

This is where I meant:

Setup-->Internet-->Manual Internet Connection Setup-->Primary DNS Server and Ssecondary DNS Server

Put in your ISP's DNS server information there.  If you don't know how to find your ISP's DNS information the easiest way is to disable DNS relay, restart your router, restart your computer (or ipconfig /renew), then on your computer go START->RUN->type in   CMD   ->then enter ipconfig /all.

There will be two listed DNS servers there under your wireless or LAN connection.  (Whichever you are connected to.)  Put the first one into the Primary box on the router, and put the second one in the secondary box on the router.

Just disabling DNS relay worked for me, but after a week the connection slowed down quite a bit.  After looking around I found I had nearly 20 DNS numbers, nearly all of which were invalid.  Doing this little step cleaned that all up and kept it from happening again.
I did the very same thing and have had no problems since. :)
If your running DHCP on the Dir 655 you can plug those same DNS numbers into Setup-->Network Settings-->DHCP Server Settings.

neuwirth

• Level 2 Member
    • Neuwirth Photo Site
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2009, 07:32:15 AM »

I know Dlink has it's issues with the last few firmware releases but to be on your 4th router, I'd start thinking about my config or environment that the router is in. I know you said you have your Belkin as a backup but there is a reason it's a backup, it's not as good or doesn't have the features that the Dir 655 has.
Would you entertain me with your config setup including your modem type and connection?
I have ADSL supplied by AT&T plugged into a Motorola 2210 modem.  I also have a DNS-323 plugged into the DIR-655.  All devices get their 110V from a APC RS-800 Backup Power Supply.  All devices are on a shelf quite high in the room to provide good wireless connectivity - and it is good.  I have a DSC-3420 wirelessly connected for surveillance.  Yes the Belkin is my backup because my wife needs the internet connection for her job.  I switch to the Belkin when the D-Link crashes.  I have never upgraded the firmware over a wireless connection.  In fact, I have never touched the firmware on this router at all.  It is still at 1.21, the way it was shipped.

I use a connection type of PPPoE. UPnP enabled.  WAN port speed set at 100Mbps. DHCP with a range of 9 to 41 (last octet) NAS and Camera are set outside this range.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 07:57:55 AM by neuwirth »

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2009, 08:29:48 AM »

I have ADSL supplied by AT&T plugged into a Motorola 2210 modem.  I also have a DNS-323 plugged into the DIR-655.  All devices get their 110V from a APC RS-800 Backup Power Supply.  All devices are on a shelf quite high in the room to provide good wireless connectivity - and it is good.  I have a DSC-3420 wirelessly connected for surveillance.  Yes the Belkin is my backup because my wife needs the internet connection for her job.  I switch to the Belkin when the D-Link crashes.  I have never upgraded the firmware over a wireless connection.  In fact, I have never touched the firmware on this router at all.  It is still at 1.21, the way it was shipped.

I use a connection type of PPPoE. UPnP enabled.  WAN port speed set at 100Mbps. DHCP with a range of 9 to 41 (last octet) NAS and Camera are set outside this range.
Dose AT&T assign an Static ip and DNS?

Entertain the thought of bypassing the APC to eliminating it as a possible problem.(just for now)
Are you running the Motorola 2210 in "bridge mode"?(disabling DHCP, my guess is prolly not)
Is the Dir 655 running DHCP because if you are and have both the router and modem trying to control the DHCP this will cause double nat and connection problems.

From the Dlink support pages.
DHCP Server Settings
DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. The DHCP section is where you configure the built-in DHCP Server to assign IP addresses to the computers and other devices on your local area network (LAN).

Enable DHCP Server
Once your D-Link router is properly configured and this option is enabled, the DHCP Server will manage the IP addresses and other network configuration information for computers and other devices connected to your Local Area Network. There is no need for you to do this yourself.

The computers (and other devices) connected to your LAN also need to have their TCP/IP configuration set to "DHCP" or "Obtain an IP address automatically".

When you set Enable DHCP Server, the following options are displayed.

DHCP IP Address Range
These two IP values (from and to) define a range of IP addresses that the DHCP Server uses when assigning addresses to computers and devices on your Local Area Network. Any addresses that are outside of this range are not managed by the DHCP Server; these could, therefore, be used for manually configured devices or devices that cannot use DHCP to obtain network address details automatically.
It is possible for a computer or device that is manually configured to have an address that does reside within this range. In this case the address should be reserved (see DHCP Reservation below), so that the DHCP Server knows that this specific address can only be used by a specific computer or device.

Your D-Link router, by default, has a static IP address of 192.168.0.1. This means that addresses 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254 can be made available for allocation by the DHCP Server.

Example:
Your D-Link router uses 192.168.0.1 for the IP address. You've assigned a computer that you want to designate as a Web server with a static IP address of 192.168.0.3. You've assigned another computer that you want to designate as an FTP server with a static IP address of 192.168.0.4. Therefore the starting IP address for your DHCP IP address range needs to be 192.168.0.5 or greater.
Example:
Suppose you configure the DHCP Server to manage addresses From 192.168.0.100 To 192.168.0.199. This means that 192.168.0.3 to 192.168.0.99 and 192.168.0.200 to 192.168.0.254 are NOT managed by the DHCP Server. Computers or devices that use addresses from these ranges are to be manually configured. Suppose you have a web server computer that has a manually configured address of 192.168.0.100. Because this falls within the "managed range" be sure to create a reservation for this address and match it to the relevant computer (see Static DHCP Client below).

Being on your 4th router I'd have to guess something is wrong with your config, odds are. Bare with me nobody is perfect and a simple mistake on your end could be the problem. Who knows what the issue is a confict some place may be locking it up, so you have to go though your whole config.

If I were you I would do this go into the 655 setup.
Advance-->Network Filter--> turn on MAC filtering on via the drop-down menu and register all your MAC address and save it.
Setup-->Network Settings-->Add DHCP Reservation assign lan ip's to all your computers and devices and register them but leaving unchecked the static ip's. On that same screen on the section of DHCP Server Settings enter your DNS numbers primary and secondary.
Setup-->Internet--> Manual Internet Connection Options-->Dynamic IP (DHCP) Internet Connection Type enter your Primary and Scondary DNS numbers. Also check to make sure you have the right MAC address of your router there, it's printed on the underside of the router. Save and reboot.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 09:20:44 AM by jason1722x »

Remkir

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2009, 08:49:55 PM »

I have been having the same problem since the upgrade, I was wondering, if we are having so many issues, cant we just downgrade to 1.21? I mean from what i understand u can download the 1.21 firmware from the dlink support page. THat should work right? unless there is some reason you cant downgrade.

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2009, 10:19:02 PM »

Once you flash to the 1.3X firmware there is no going back to the 1.2X.

Remkir

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2009, 09:19:06 PM »

That just seems messed up, why would you build a flash utlity into the router for upgrades but make a firmeware upgrade that would make it work one way after that, this just seems a bit short sighted.

I also have noticed that the lockups only occur when I put heavy traffic thru the netwrok. it happened to me when i was streaming movies and using a bittorrent client that was set to only use limited bandwidth. I did the dns relay disable part, and manually set my dns servers, but I have yet to try it again since i made the change. I really hope that it works as a temp measure because I would hate to think that I've been trying to get this router all this time for nothing.

Geeman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2009, 10:07:35 PM »

One thing that helped me with movie streaming was to manually set the WAN Speed in advanced networking to 100 Mbs.  I also set my system to the same. Now I am able to stream Netflix fairly reliably where as before I was unable to at all.  Before 1.32 I had no problems now I am having to reboot the router at least once a day to maintain decent speeds while browsing , gaming.  I am still getting drop outs for several minutes after I finish a movie , and just recently my router log has been unable to load due to "insufficient memory".  I hope this is fixed soon.   

neuwirth

• Level 2 Member
    • Neuwirth Photo Site
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2009, 12:44:41 PM »

D-Link denied my fourth RMA.  That's OK. the Belkin router is working just fine configured exactly like the D-Link one was.  I reconfigured the DIR-655 as an access point.  So far, it is working fine in that role.  So much for after the sale product support!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]