• April 27, 2024, 03:08:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: DIR-655 Freeze up after cable modem reboot  (Read 32910 times)

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
Re: DIR-655 Freeze up after cable modem reboot
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2009, 03:48:33 PM »

Hmm, I assume you've tried auto or 10?

GVG

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2009, 03:57:39 PM »

hmmm, actually no. I have had it set on 100 since day one since that is the speed of the ethernet port on the modem. But I will try it in auto and run the test again.

GVG

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2009, 04:11:31 PM »

Tried the test again with the router in Auto, same problem. Modem indicator shows that the ethernet port is alive, router status page says the router is on line, no data. Cant even ping the modem.

Clancy

• Level 3 Member
  • I am not a number. I am a free man!
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2009, 08:38:42 AM »

IP Address: 75.181.12X.XX
Sub Net: 255.255.240.0
Default Gateway:  75.181.112.xx

My newly acquired IT knowledge seems to be failing me. Aren't Sub Net masks usually in the range of 255.255.255.255? If the above Sub Net mask is correct, how would one configure the LAN Sub Net mask?
Thread derailment: So easy a caveman can do it.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2009, 09:11:36 AM »

Mr.Clancy,
I invite you to learn about the wonderful world of subnetting at http://www.learntosubnet.com Tis a wonderful world full of complicated math.

I ALWAYS cheat when it comes to subnetting and use a SUBNET CALC. Also available for googling at google.com.

-Lycan.

p.s. Once you know subnetting, the secrets of the universe will unfold before your very eyes and the meaning of life will become available to you.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2009, 09:27:18 AM »

Mr.Clancy,
I invite you to learn about the wonderful world of subnetting at http://www.learntosubnet.com Tis a wonderful world full of complicated math.

I ALWAYS cheat when it comes to subnetting and use a SUBNET CALC. Also available for googling at google.com.

-Lycan.

p.s. Once you know subnetting, the secrets of the universe will unfold before your very eyes and the meaning of life will become available to you.

You should not be publicly admitting such arcane secrets, now we are going to have hundreds of neophytes properly using subnets.  Next thing you know home users will understand networking!  Though the answer to Life the Universe and Everything is already well published, I don't know why you would brag about it so.

P.S. Cheater Cheater Pumpkin Eater!  As you know I still do all my subnetting by hand, I swear it's easier that way.
non progredi est regredi

GVG

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2009, 09:58:02 AM »

So have we exhausted all ideas on this problem?

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2009, 10:16:05 AM »

Did you try 10 Mpbs?

GVG

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2009, 10:25:52 AM »

no just auto. I do not want to connect at 10, my internet connection is faster than that

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2009, 10:29:54 AM »

I understand that, it's a test.

GVG

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2009, 10:39:08 AM »

Ok when I get home tonight I will try 10.  around 5:30 eastern time.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2009, 10:46:54 AM »

If it stays stable at 10, then you should ask your ISP for a new modem.
There's a compatiblity issue we've seen in the past, I thought it was cleared up but maybe not.

When you reply list the MFG of your modem and the model.

GVG

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2009, 10:53:45 AM »

Motorola SB-5120

GVG

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2009, 02:07:15 PM »

I ran the test with the router set to 10. Same result. I then thought of something I never tried. What If I did the same test but this time with the modem hooked up directly to a computer.  The same thing happened. So its not the router, its the modem. It just does not want to talk to any NIC after a reboot unless the NIC also reboots.

So thanks you for all the help I really appreciate it. I am now going to turn this issue over to Motorola.

Clancy

• Level 3 Member
  • I am not a number. I am a free man!
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2009, 09:27:39 AM »

I ALWAYS cheat

-Lycan.

Hmmmm. Does that include taxes, games, hours worked, etc..? heh  :-\ ??? :o :'( :P ::) :-*

-sarcasm off-

I went to that web site and I was going to start my lessons but it kept choking each time it tried to install an activeX component. So, I went and installed it separately from the MS web site and after that, I lost interest. BUT, I'm planning to go back and when I do - I will know everything there is to know about IT and subnets. The next step will be to usurp your authority on this web site and to contradict everything you say. (sarcasm on/sarcasm off). My interest was piqued when I noticed that it involved binary math. I took a class in Boolean algebra (when I went to college. Yes, I actually went to college so that makes me dangerous). It was the most intresting math class I've ever taken. I learnt how to cipher in base 2, base 8, and base 16 and back again. "naught + naught = naught". Uncle Jed always did like to hear me cipher. I also am a logic gate reducing fool.

I noticed that Fatman is trying to show you up. How can you work with him? (I'll have to compliment him in a separate post). I am going to throw away my Tibetian book of the dead and put my statue of Buddha back in the box. This "learn all about subnets" web site has become my new guide to life and prosperity and happiness. The D-Link boards are so much more than people coming together to gripe discuss and solve problems. Thanks, Lycan. Can I call you Bodhi?

Footnote: I am still curious to know why GVG's ISP assigned him a subnet mask that ended in 0. It raised an eyebrow because I'd never seen that before. I'm gonna have to go to school to figure out how he is going to assign his local subnet mask. (I don't suppose you'd care to divulge that information before I go to school, would you?)

Footnote to my footnote: GVG publicly stated that you helped him solve his problem. What went wrong? (do you get points for that? - you know, like those "expert" web sites that help you solve computer related problems that gladly take your money for telling you the same thing you can find using a rudimentary Google search) I think you've one-upped Fatman. Tell us how you rubbed it in and detail your methods of office humiliation.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 11:25:25 AM by Clancy »
Thread derailment: So easy a caveman can do it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5