• April 27, 2024, 08:50:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Mac - Macintosh Owners Start Here  (Read 40355 times)

summerstormpictures

• Level 2 Member
Mac - Macintosh Owners Start Here
« on: February 02, 2009, 06:17:37 AM »

It is Monday and I may be on crack, but perhaps it'd be nice to have a broad thread/topic that serves as a starting point for the seemingly few Mac owners out there that have shunned the Airport Extreme and other Apple branded network devices to use the D-Link DIR-655.

Yes, we Mac users both drink and pass out the Kool-Aid. What can we say? But we also know a good thing when we see it, or in this case, hear about it through ''word of mouth'', like the DIR-655.

Either way, since we seem to be a minority, perhaps this ''welcome'' thread could serve as a ''lobby'' (or group therapy session) to discuss and troubleshoot broad issues arising that are specific to our platform

As topics become focused -- they could then be ''spun off'' into their own thread, again with Mac - tacked onto the beginning of the topic subject/title (like this topic which is titled Mac - Macintosh Owners Start Here.

Again, this seems like a good idea on a Monday morning...;D

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
Re: Mac - Macintosh Owners Start Here
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 07:08:14 AM »

Good move
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

goddessweb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 03:56:29 PM »

So, any news on Macintosh support for the DIR-655 USB port?
Is a beta version of the Mac Shareport Utility available for download?

tp4mybunghole

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 07:28:28 PM »

I'm a mixed owner, PC and Mac. It's just a royal pain in the ass not to have a Mac shareport app. Let's go D-Link! And what's with D-Link not sharing their plans for this type of thing? Can't someone just tell us that it's in the works?

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 12:45:23 PM »

No we can not. Because if we tell you it's coming and then decide to scrap it, it could be bad legally.

goddessweb

• Level 1 Member
Re: Mac - Macintosh Owners Start Here USB Port Mac support
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 12:51:28 PM »

The USB port is the entire reason I bought the DIR-655 instead of an Airport Extreme Base Station, with which it appears to be designed to compete.

I bought it from MACConnection, the DIR-655 design is obviously very MAC-like, and I thought I did my due diligence before purchase as to it being entirely MAC-compatible, including checking the D-Link web site for updates. This borders on false advertising. Silly me, assuming that recent firmware and software updates meant that Mac versions were on the way. When was this product first released?

I'm surprised that someone hasn't written a little app to enable this functionality and posted it on Macupdate.com. How hard can it be? (I don't know how, not a programmer, or I would).

You can be sure that if Mac support is not coming very soon, that I will never buy another D-Link product again, regardless of what platform I am using at the time.

Alphaman

• Level 1 Member
    • AaroBlog
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 12:58:12 PM »

Another Mac owner here.  Actually, I'm versed in several operating systems as well as the binary language of moisture vaporators...  ooops, I'm projecting again.   ;D

But seriously, I do have many different systems on my net: Mac OS X, XP, Windows 7, Linux, Maemo OS2008, and my fave, OpenVMS.  (Yes, this is in my home...   What can I say?  total g33k... :D )

I'm not particularly interested in the SecureSpot, and already have dabbled with OpenDNS (still haven't decided if I like it enough to keep it.)

I picked the DIR-655 because of the near-industrial strength features, like the syslogd, configurable NTP client, DShield support, and especially the Guest Zone.  But I'm kinda flummoxed by the web filtering, hence my visit to these forums today.

Just don't forget about us Mac users!  Oh, and at first blush, I'm tickled with the level of acceptance shown to Mac users on these forums -- stuff that would have started flame wars on other forums (e.g., "I own a Mac") are totally taken in stride here.  Kudos...

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 01:36:11 PM »

Speaking of Kudos, that is a fine piece of Nokia hardware you have there.

I have a N770 myself, if only to make everyone I know wonder why I need so many toys.  My OS load out is much the same as yours, though I dare say we might just qualify as power-users (in the Timmy Power-Gamer legacy) of sorts.

As far as Mac acceptance, it is just another *nix, and my job here is to push *nix acceptance, unfortunately I also nominated myself forum flametroll so it's a mixed bag.

P.S. I got my new MacBook a couple weeks ago and an kind of worried I am going to end up buying it a ring.
non progredi est regredi

arod

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 03:32:55 PM »

I to am a mac user! hip hip hooray! j/k  :P Not really doing anything fancy with it just for music/video production.

lucien

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 03:58:09 AM »

I've been extremely happy with my DIR-655.  Actually, its the first router I've ever owned that I can say that.

Still, I was disappointed when I got it home last year and found out that that USB port wasn't usable for a printer or storage.

I was THRILLED to see that D-Link was expanding the capabilities of the usb port.  Frankly, I was about to switch over to Apple's router (only because I wanted wireless connectivity for Time Machine).  But I'll wait for a little bit to see what D-Link can do for us Mac users. 

If they can get us NAS capabilities, I will forever be a DLink fan.

Lets go D-link!  Give us some attached storage! 

Show us that you can keep up support for old hardware, and I'll keep going out and buying your new stuff.

Lucien.

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 04:12:17 AM »

The USB port is the entire reason I bought the DIR-655 instead of an Airport Extreme Base Station, with which it appears to be designed to compete.

Geez, bad move there if you bought the dir-655 JUST for the usb port. :S maybe a simple usb hub for a fraction of the cost would have been a better move. :P

Wal_

• Product Managment
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 12:26:35 PM »

I have an iPhone that I use to connect to my DIR-855/DIR-655/DGL-4500/DIR-825 wirelessly, therefore, I am a Apple user (or loser) as well?

right guys?
The production of too many useful things results in too many useless people.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 04:11:21 PM »

LOL you stole my post. HA! Also Macintosh is a respectable and valued platform in the computing industry/community.

Wal_

• Product Managment
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 05:40:34 PM »

LOL you stole my post. HA! Also Macintosh is a respectable and valued platform in the computing industry/community.

If I can't run software that doesn't allow me to use the phrase "Boom, headshot!" it isn't a valuable platform. (in my book).

On a lighter note, Apple FTW! (or something)
The production of too many useful things results in too many useless people.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 08:16:20 AM »

I am sure you could find a flash soundboard that would say "Boom, Headshot" for you.  Since Flash is the new Java apparently.

Compile once, run anywhere a proprietary (yet freely distributed) VM has been compiled for.
non progredi est regredi
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5