• April 27, 2024, 09:41:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: UNSOLVED - 655 Shareport Connection Issues  (Read 48292 times)

Wal_

• Product Managment
  • Level 3 Member
Re: UNSOLVED - 655 Shareport Connection Issues
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2008, 05:40:52 PM »

* Connected via powered usb hub:
Freecom USB HDD (nothing fancy, just a HDD in a USB 2.0 case)
Samsung laserprinter CLP315

* Observation in Xnetstat:
Shareport UDP port closing and a new one already started (other port number).

* Issue occurs only on wireless laptop, never on wired desktop
* Issue occurs randomly/suddenly, without having either of the devices connected through Shareport on any machine. Perhaps if I connect to the HDD on desktop the issue will pop up on the laptop, I'll have a look.
* disconnecting/disabling shareport (red icon) did not make a difference.
* Pop up interval 30 sec.
* Error reproducible by clicking on Look for updates (same pop up)
* Turning off automatic updates did not make a difference (because it is set do that after 60 days  :) )

* Once I did the Windows firewall trick it issue abruptly ceased. And come back the next day late in the afternoon. Did a complete de-install and re-install (manually deleting the driver files) and it has not occurred since (two days).

* not letting it autostart: if exiting and restarting does not work, why should no running it on startup do work? Perhaps driver conflict or something?
Need more environment data?

Interesting, so you're saying, that the 655 is completely disconnected from a USB device, yet the shareport utility will still pop up an error message stating "Connection failed please try again" ?
The production of too many useful things results in too many useless people.

rsmin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2008, 05:56:15 PM »

I was trying to use a HP DESKJET 882 and the wierd thing it worked for about 3 weeks, maybe longer with no problem on my Desktop that is "hardwired" to the 655 and to both my laptops that are "hardwired" most of the time. Didn't start acting up till around 12/12. The desktop has the constant "Connection failed please try again".. IF I UNPLUG the HP printer from the shareport I don't get the "popup" anymore, but I get a constant "Windows alarm bong".. Same kind of noise you get when you plug a USB device in or out.

I have to "uninstall" the shareport utility to make the alarms go away.

On my laptop I am now getting constant little Windows popping up on the bottom right hand side of the window saying HP printer detected. Only problem is, when you open it, to click on it, it says it isn't there. Plus I am getting one window after another popping up saying it has deteted the printer??

Running XP on my desktop.
Running XP Pro on my laptop. I have tried just about every combination we can all think of and still this isn't working properly. EddieZ suggested the firewall trick and like him, Mine worked for about24 hours and then went right back to messing up.

Again, not sure why this worked for over 3 weeks and just started doing this if I remember correctly on Friday 12/12...

Thanks

Rusty

PeterJvM

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2008, 01:25:36 AM »

I have a desktop with a DWA140 and a laptop with a DWA140, so both connected wirelessly to the DIR655
windows firewall settings set to local only for the shareport utility and problems didn't occur for 48 hrs.
I use a SDHC-card reader(buspowered) connected to the DIR655
I also had an old SANDISK CF-reader(also bus powered) that had many issues such as disconnects, data corruption, having to reformat the CF-card. But that is to be expected with buspowered devices, I wouldn't connect a bus powered hard-drive or something like it without a powered USB-hub.

One more serious issue for me is that despite the firewall settings and stopping the update feature, in the DIR655 settings, the shareport utility still appears to be able to connect to the outside world.

Interesting, so you're saying, that the 655 is completely disconnected from a USB device, yet the shareport utility will still pop up an error message stating "Connection failed please try again" ?
Peter

DIR-655 ( H/W: A2 ) ( FW: 1.21b05beta )
DWA-140 ( H/W: B1 ) ( FW: 0.20 DRV: Ralink 2.3.7.0 )
Intel 3945ABG ( H/W: REV 02 ) ( FW: 11.5.0.32 )

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2008, 05:23:15 AM »

Not physically detached, but when disabled through the Shareport icon right-click menu it does not stop the errors that are in progress.
But: This could also mean that disabling the connection while the error occurs does not cancel the connection.

Note while writing this: I'm now at work on my laptop, miles from home. I just started the utility and it is now producing the 'connection failed' error every 30 sec or so. No Dlink in sight, red icon in the tray. Unchecked all options in Advanced menu. So it should not do anything, not even polling for a USB device (impossible since there is no router detected).

So I guess it does not need a USB HDD or even a router attached to produce the error.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

Wal_

• Product Managment
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2008, 10:23:05 AM »

One more serious issue for me is that despite the firewall settings and stopping the update feature, in the DIR655 settings, the shareport utility still appears to be able to connect to the outside world.

Outside world? Can you elaborate on this?

larryc57

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2008, 08:29:26 PM »

I too have the error messages, had so many pop up overnite that it locked up my machine. I have exited the Sharepoint Utility and am not using till there's a fix. Unchecking the boxes mentioned, and uninstall-reinstall does not help. The utility can be working fine, but still the error message pops up. I have a desktop ASUS P5QEM, 4GB good RAM, Core 2 Duo E8500, BFG 9800 GT+ video card,  running Vista Home premium with all updates current, and have a Calvary external USB hard drive 750 GB attached to the DIR 655. I also have a notebook in  another room that produces the same error messages. I also have a DAP 1522 connected to my HR20 DirecTV DVR, and have had to turn it off since upgrading to the firmware with the Shareport Utility. The 655 and 1522 worked fine together prior to this firmware upgrade. Now I have no wireless, and no Internet connection when both units are powered up (DAP 1522 is in another room, 655 is in my office). I spent only a short time getting them to work together initially, and again, after the 655 firmware upgrade, I spent hours trying to get them to work together again, to no avail.  :'(
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 08:32:43 PM by larryc57 »

funchords

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2008, 09:28:43 PM »

Outside world? Can you elaborate on this?
The Windows Firewall Exception made by the utility has a "Scope" of "Any Computer (including those on the Internet)" instead of "My Network (Subnet) Only."

The poster's concern that "the shareport utility still appears to be able to connect to the outside world" is not exactly the risk introduced -- more that the port is open wider than should be needed.

PeterJvM

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2008, 11:57:46 PM »

Exactly, since clicking the "Check for a new version now..."-button in the shareport utility leads to the message "This is the latest version" it's obviously still possible to connect to the internet. Even though I changed the firewall settings to My Network (Subnet) Only. This means that either the windows firewall is rubbish or that the shareport utility is somehow able to bypass the firewall.

The Windows Firewall Exception made by the utility has a "Scope" of "Any Computer (including those on the Internet)" instead of "My Network (Subnet) Only."

The poster's concern that "the shareport utility still appears to be able to connect to the outside world" is not exactly the risk introduced -- more that the port is open wider than should be needed.
Peter

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2008, 05:26:57 AM »

Exactly, since clicking the "Check for a new version now..."-button in the shareport utility leads to the message "This is the latest version" it's obviously still possible to connect to the internet. Even though I changed the firewall settings to My Network (Subnet) Only. This means that either the windows firewall is rubbish or that the shareport utility is somehow able to bypass the firewall.

I think the utility just uses (pass through) the router firmware check option (which can connect to the outside world easily) and does not connect to the internet itself. The issue mentioned is potentially dangerous because the possible inability to be blocked by a firewall -the utility interacts with his 'daddy', the router and the router may be configured to let all communication (in/out) pass through to the internet and the utility- opens up a free channel for exploits...

PeterJvM

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2008, 05:56:48 AM »

Even with the router firmware option unchecked it appears to get thru.

I think the utility just uses (pass through) the router firmware check option (which can connect to the outside world easily) and does not connect to the internet itself. The issue mentioned is potentially dangerous because the possible inability to be blocked by a firewall -the utility interacts with his 'daddy', the router and the router may be configured to let all communication (in/out) pass through to the internet and the utility- opens up a free channel for exploits...
Peter

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2008, 07:28:52 AM »

Even with the router firmware option unchecked it appears to get thru.

That would suggest an open tunnel (one way at least)

Wal_

• Product Managment
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2008, 10:14:20 AM »

Is anyone able to reproduce THIS issue without using a External Hard Drive?

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2008, 12:23:43 PM »

Define 'using':

- Not physically connected to a USB port
- Physically connected but not activated through Shareport.

I guess I did...
Note while writing this: I'm now at work on my laptop, miles from home. I just started the utility and it is now producing the 'connection failed' error every 30 sec or so. No Dlink in sight, red icon in the tray. Unchecked all options in Advanced menu. So it should not do anything, not even polling for a USB device (impossible since there is no router detected).

Wal_

• Product Managment
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2008, 01:13:52 PM »

Define 'using':

- Not physically connected to a USB port
- Physically connected but not activated through Shareport.

I guess I did...

I'm looking in to what possible scenarios will cause this message to pop-up.

as for "using" I mean NO HDDs connected to the USB port on the router. For instance, does this message pop-up when using a flash drive? printer? etc.

PeterJvM

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2008, 01:37:40 PM »

I had the error using a flash drive but it disappeared after I set teh scope, in windows firewall, to My Network (Subnet) Only. The problem hasn't occured since.

I'm looking in to what possible scenarios will cause this message to pop-up.

as for "using" I mean NO HDDs connected to the USB port on the router. For instance, does this message pop-up when using a flash drive? printer? etc.
Peter

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5