• May 09, 2024, 10:46:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Speed Problem...  (Read 7783 times)

Snarl

• Level 1 Member
Speed Problem...
« on: January 31, 2009, 08:04:05 AM »

Hey all,

Thanks for taking the time to read my problem...Here's the short story: I'm trying to get the best possible speeds over my LAN with my DIR-655 router. I am running Vista-32, on a dell XPS notebook. Here's my problem: I was using a Belkin N Expresscard, and I was getting transfer speeds of about 7-8 MB/s to my D-Link 323 network drive. I thought, "wow that's great...I wonder if a d-link expresscard would go faster?"

Vista shows my belkin card connected @ 270 mbits/sec as does the router.

I recently went and bought a d-link DWA-643 expresscard, I popped it in and got 300 mbit/sec, "woohoo!!" I thought. then I tried transferring a file over to the DNS-323...and to my dissapointment I was only getting around 2 MB/sec!!!!

All my drivers are up to date - anyone got any advice?

Thanks!
-Mat

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
Re: Speed Problem...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 08:44:43 AM »

To start with, there is a difference between 'reported connection speed' and the 'actual transfer speed'

On your express card driver, set jumbo packets to 4088.  You might want to experiment with all settings to find the optimal setting. Also, manually set the channel on which the router is broadcasting. Using auto is not the best setting. Avoid channels being used by neighboring routers.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

tipstir

• Level 3 Member
    • Tipstir's LAN ZONE
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 01:05:35 PM »

Hey all,

Thanks for taking the time to read my problem...Here's the short story: I'm trying to get the best possible speeds over my LAN with my DIR-655 router. I am running Vista-32, on a dell XPS notebook. Here's my problem: I was using a Belkin N Expresscard, and I was getting transfer speeds of about 7-8 MB/s to my D-Link 323 network drive. I thought, "wow that's great...I wonder if a d-link expresscard would go faster?"

Vista shows my belkin card connected @ 270 mbits/sec as does the router.

I recently went and bought a d-link DWA-643 expresscard, I popped it in and got 300 mbit/sec, "woohoo!!" I thought. then I tried transferring a file over to the DNS-323...and to my dissapointment I was only getting around 2 MB/sec!!!!

All my drivers are up to date - anyone got any advice?

Thanks!
-Mat

Mat,

Vista is showing you link speed the real time speed. So you say 270mbps that's about 135mbps. Still need to take a look inside the router for the actually speed it's reporting it could be as low as 115M.

Download teracopy it's free for home users and it will measure in real-time the transfer copy speeds from Gig to Gig or wireless to wireless using part of your RAM. Vista and Server 2008 suppose to have this feature built in. You might not need to use this program.

PCI-E/E-Cards transfer speeds can be as high as 60-100mb/s
PCI/PCMICA  transfers speeds can be as high as 30-50mb/s

Tuning on the jumbo frames going to limit internet access though, still test and see what you come out with. The 4 Gig rigs with Server 2003 R2 Enterprise SP2 I avg 30-50mb/s but I use teracopy though.
LAN Zone | Twitter @ tipstir | Youtube @ tipstir | Facebook @ tipstir

DIR-655 A3 1.11 APNs | DP-301U (3x)

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 01:44:32 PM »

Mat,

Vista is showing you link speed the real time speed. So you say 270mbps that's about 135mbps. Still need to take a look inside the router for the actually speed it's reporting it could be as low as 115M.

Download teracopy it's free for home users and it will measure in real-time the transfer copy speeds from Gig to Gig or wireless to wireless using part of your RAM. Vista and Server 2008 suppose to have this feature built in. You might not need to use this program.

PCI-E/E-Cards transfer speeds can be as high as 60-100mb/s
PCI/PCMICA  transfers speeds can be as high as 30-50mb/s

Tuning on the jumbo frames going to limit internet access though, still test and see what you come out with. The 4 Gig rigs with Server 2003 R2 Enterprise SP2 I avg 30-50mb/s but I use teracopy though.

Just one remark: the speeds you are talking about are wired. You'll never get those by wireless.

Snarl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 07:58:26 PM »

Thanks Guys,

Some good tips here, I'll try them out.

-Mat

LocutusX

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 08:22:51 PM »

Wait, did you say you used a real-world file copy benchmark to show that you were getting 7-8MB/s transfer rates when you did: Belkin N Expresscard --(wireless)--> DIR-655 --(wired)--> DNS-323 ?

If so, that's pretty awesome. I wasn't expecting speeds like that with D-Link hardware let alone a vendor like Belkin...

tipstir

• Level 3 Member
    • Tipstir's LAN ZONE
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 09:15:33 PM »

Just one remark: the speeds you are talking about are wired. You'll never get those by wireless.

Did you see E-Cards and PCMICA  those are wireless cards adapters. With the right network tweaking you can get better 12-31mb/s but to get this you need the free program teracopy increase the 256KB to max in MB under 150mb/s wireless N connection. I just ran 300MB file from GIG Rig to Wireless N with -Strong -51dB connection but using Odyssey Access Client Manager drivers which uses a Virtual Tunnel method.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 05:03:20 AM »

Did you see E-Cards and PCMICA  those are wireless cards adapters. With the right network tweaking you can get better 12-31mb/s but to get this you need the free program teracopy increase the 256KB to max in MB under 150mb/s wireless N connection. I just ran 300MB file from GIG Rig to Wireless N with -Strong -51dB connection but using Odyssey Access Client Manager drivers which uses a Virtual Tunnel method.

I've been using Teracopy for some time. I noticed that the speed reported by Teracopy differs from my wireless throughput reports. To be more exact: the reported Teracopy speed is double that of the actual network throughput. Could be my issue alone, but you might want to check if the speeds you mention are really the actual speed. And please be carefull about your notations: mbps (megabit per sec) is the official one, not mb/s which is very confusing: Mb/s is something competely else (megabyte per sec.)

Snarl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 03:58:54 PM »

Wait, did you say you used a real-world file copy benchmark to show that you were getting 7-8MB/s transfer rates when you did: Belkin N Expresscard --(wireless)--> DIR-655 --(wired)--> DNS-323 ?

If so, that's pretty awesome. I wasn't expecting speeds like that with D-Link hardware let alone a vendor like Belkin...

Yeah that's right...I was surprised also!

tipstir

• Level 3 Member
    • Tipstir's LAN ZONE
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 05:57:34 PM »

I've been using Teracopy for some time. I noticed that the speed reported by Teracopy differs from my wireless throughput reports. To be more exact: the reported Teracopy speed is double that of the actual network throughput. Could be my issue alone, but you might want to check if the speeds you mention are really the actual speed. And please be carefull about your notations: mbps (megabit per sec) is the official one, not mb/s which is very confusing: Mb/s is something competely else (megabyte per sec.)

Well let's see that could be true, but using the Odyssey Access Client Manager Network monitor reports I can see what's goes out and comes in as packets. Teracopy just measures what is coming I/O then what is not factor in is the HDD caches on both end. I found 2MB is slower than 8MB or 16MB or even 32MB caches on the HDD. SATA slightly faster. Again what you get could be different what I get some have reported raising the MTU pass 1500 to 7000 has increase MB/s. I haven't done that myself so I can't comment on it.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 07:25:42 AM »

I could be mistaken here, but raising the MTU to 7000 (jumbo frames?)  in the 655 should only affect the WAN and LAN speed and not the wireless speed. If it does affect wirless speed, the only thing i can think of is that your wired LAN performance is pretty bad. That could also be caused by the client side..