• April 28, 2024, 01:37:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: SecureSpot free firmware!!  (Read 38254 times)

Halibut Point Memory

• Level 2 Member
Re: Secure Spot free firmware
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2010, 05:24:03 PM »

While we understand that you would like it have it removed, there are many other customers that would like to keep the feature. What we're attempting to do is come up with a solution that doesn't require D-link to maintain two firmware sets.

I think, and I know this is just my opinion, but I think you should make this Secure Spot a separate option, just like you have the separate printing via USB option. My argument for this is as follows:

I, for example, use OpenDNS to filter out a wide variety of "bad stuff" out there, and it is highly customizable. I have been using it for almost three years now and I really don't foresee any switch in my future. It is wholly separate from the router/gateway and if there are problems, I can simply "turn it off" or disallow it without having to wait for a firmware fix.

The fact that the very real potential exists for another Secure Spot/bsecure.com problem, judging by what just happened, why "throw out the baby with the bathwater?" Why allow for a third party feature, proven problematic, to potentially hamstring the entire firmware sometime down the road?

I think wisdom, aside from all the griping (deservedly so I believe) by those affected, should rule the day. Prune down the final firmware to basics so that we can really "bsecure."

burticus

• Level 1 Member
Re: SecureSpot free firmware!!
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2010, 10:28:19 AM »

I became Securespot afflicted earlier this week.  I had never used the thing before in my life.  Was using 1.32NA.  You could enable/save/disable/save and it would work for a day then would have to do it again.  This is not a viable option when you have people working from home and need instant on connectivity.

I did the downgrade to the 1.21 firmware that was discussed on one of these many Securespot threads and have not had a problem since of any kind.  And I believe it is faster now too!

It's a little bit of a process but totally worth the 30 minutes or so it took me to do it and reconfigure the router. 

I registered on this forum just to tell anyone with the Securespot issues how happy I am now using 1.21.

dirkpitt

• Level 3 Member
Re: Secure Spot free firmware
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2010, 10:00:57 AM »

While we understand that you would like it have it removed, there are many other customers that would like to keep the feature. What we're attempting to do is come up with a solution that doesn't require D-link to maintain two firmware sets.
Coming from a software development background I do share compassion for the desire to maintain a single firmware set, but I disagree that this is the correct decision for the issues that come with SecureSpot.

Access Control does not seem to be working.  It sounds to me that the viability of Shareport is iffy (I do not use this but it sounds as if there are some issues with it). Disabling QoS and other features is a solution repeatedly recommended on these forums. There are numerous threads of people proclaiming that they have become SecureSpot free by purchasing a competitor's product, or even regressing to using their old equipment.  Securespot was not an advertised feature of the DIR-655 at the time of my purchase, whereas the inoperable features mentioned above were and still are.

It would seem that more emphasis is being placed on keeping subscribing SecureSpot clientele (which are an obvious minority among the users on this forum) than repairing some of the advertised features of the router. 

Using the Russian firmware downgrade path to regain stability provided by 1.2X or even 1.1X firmware is very common. Others have opted to use the EU flavoured firmware rather than use a version with SecureSpot present.  I do not believe that technical support would support these firmware releases, and the first recommendation from them would be to update to the latest official release of firmware, correct?

The "single firmware set" mentality is driving technically proficient users away from the most current released firmware and the D-Link name itself in droves. For each person who posts their grievances with SecureSpot there are dozens who will simply lurk and watch for results or solutions.

The problem with SecureSpot hijacking the basic ability of the router to the bsecure website is a huge breach of trust for people who understand the implications of the problem. Personally I want the ability to block all traffic between my router and bsecure as a guarantee that SecureSpot has been contained.

Don't get me wrong--I am a big fan of the 1.34 beta firmware and have not seen any further hijacking problems since I have had it installed.  Let's keep moving in the right direction to get a solid version with everything working.  Does SecureSpot need to be temporarily removed to simplify the process, as it obviously has some conflicts with Access Control?

Can we have some more information of why the enable/disable SecureSpot checkbox wasn't working prior to 1.34NA?
DIR-655 H/W A4, Firmware 1.34NAb02 beta

ciris

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2010, 11:28:30 AM »

They should remove SecureSpot and add PPTP VPN endpoint capability (like in dd-wrt) that would make me so happy :D
WNR3500_v2 w/dd-wrt mini v24 sp2
WNR350N_v1 (on the way)
WNR300N_v1.1 (bricked on the way for some jtag love)
WRT54G-TM w/dd-wrt big v24 sp2
SB5101 x2 w/Haxorware 1.1 rev39 diag

temp

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2010, 05:38:59 AM »

This message is for D-link.  I NEVER enabled the securespot option but for the last six months I've been having the same problem as everyone else and I'm fed up with it.  I don't know which is more frustrating; having to enable-disable the option and reset the router, the interuptions for other members of the family and inconvenience for them when I'm not here to fix it, or the fact that this problem is due to programming incompetence.

I cannot teach every member of the family how to perform that rediculous work-around and installing that beta firmware seems like a waste of time since you have a disclaimer about it in large red letters.  Such a disclaimer indicates that you expect the beta firmware to cause other problems.

I took the time to register for this forum only to let you know that I am going out now to by another router, NOT d-link.  Also, my sister has a need for a new router and so does a friend of my wife's.  Guess which router I will NOT be buying for them?  I realize that this is only three customers which you have lost however, I will be sure to spread the word to everyone that I know to stay away from D-Link.  I work in technical support for a large enterprise so as the oportunity comes up, I'll be sure to warn all of the people we support.
The problem should never have happened and your response to the issue has been unacceptable.  This message is all that I have to say on the topic.  I will waste no more time on this.

Sincerely,
A former loyal customer

dirkpitt

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2010, 09:38:24 AM »

This message is for D-link.  I NEVER enabled the securespot option but for the last six months I've been having the same problem as everyone else and I'm fed up with it.  I don't know which is more frustrating; having to enable-disable the option and reset the router, the interuptions for other members of the family and inconvenience for them when I'm not here to fix it, or the fact that this problem is due to programming incompetence.

I cannot teach every member of the family how to perform that rediculous work-around and installing that beta firmware seems like a waste of time since you have a disclaimer about it in large red letters.  Such a disclaimer indicates that you expect the beta firmware to cause other problems.

I took the time to register for this forum only to let you know that I am going out now to by another router, NOT d-link.  Also, my sister has a need for a new router and so does a friend of my wife's.  Guess which router I will NOT be buying for them?  I realize that this is only three customers which you have lost however, I will be sure to spread the word to everyone that I know to stay away from D-Link.  I work in technical support for a large enterprise so as the oportunity comes up, I'll be sure to warn all of the people we support.
The problem should never have happened and your response to the issue has been unacceptable.  This message is all that I have to say on the topic.  I will waste no more time on this.

Sincerely,
A former loyal customer
Well said!

Tonytoronto

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2010, 07:08:43 PM »

Well, finally updated from 1.21 to 1.34 week or so ago,  and just finished ordering a new NetGear Router tonight, i had enough. Port Fowarding still not working, Virtual server still not working correctly, router keeps disconnecting every day, sometimes more than once daily, i have tried disabling some of the features, nothing seems to help. After the secure spot fiasco; that it for me and Dlink products, it's frustating to not have one single post from a Dlink Mod or whatever they're called and explain what exactly happened and if our information was being sent over to securespot even with secure spot disabled.. Seems like new paying features are the priority not fixing the existing features we all paid for, i won't even mention the features they have slowly removed or never cared to fix from the start. Enough venting, i wish you all good luck.

dirkpitt

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2010, 08:43:17 AM »

Well, I was finally able to fix the last of the issues that have plagued my network since upgrading to 1.3X.

I've included the updates and fixes in the first post of this thread.  Thanks to you all for your help and suggestions or I would never have made it to this point!

alaskan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2010, 01:38:49 PM »

I wonder if the issue with this crappy secure spot is only noticed by folks that tried it out?
My problem happens when i reboot the router.. It then somehow enables secure spot (even though i have stopped using it). The only way i can use any system that is connected to the route is to login to the router, enable secure spot via check box-save, then uncheck-save..  that fixes it and all my hosts/computers can get to the internet again.. I wrote to and call support.. Thats a laugh.. Their as helpful as a knife in a gun fight.

So has anyone else had the issue with secure spot but never actually configured secure spot?
This will be the last dlink router i ever buy or recommend to my customers. I think blowing the firmware away and installing wrt or something else might be called for.. until these idiots at dlink fix it.. (yeah right)

dirkpitt

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2010, 01:54:13 PM »

alaskan,  have you tried the very latest release?

I am running 1.34b02 and haven't had any more occurrences of SecureSpot hijacking my Internet.

Now that I have the Access Control working, I have even blocked "bsecure" to ensure that nothing is routed through their server.

Cobra

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »

alaskan,  have you tried the very latest release?

I am running 1.34b02 and haven't had any more occurrences of SecureSpot hijacking my Internet.

Latest is 1.34 final or 1.34build03
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]